Help on selecting what to play

Oct 3, 2023
Visit site
I am new to gaming and need help on selecting what to play.
The PC set up is as follows:

• OMEN by HP 45L Gaming Desktop PC
  • BU RCTO OMEN Z790 45L ArticOC US
  • Front Bezel Black Glass with RGB liquid cooler and 800 W 80 Plus Gold certified ATX power supply
  • CKIT HP OMEN 22C2 CTO US
  • 22C2 Cycle AV
  • NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 4070 Ti (12 GB GDDR6X dedicated)
  • 1 TB WD Black PCIe® 4x4 NVMe™ TLC M.2 SSD
  • No HDD
  • No Included Keyboard
  • McAfee Livesafe (30 day)
  • Kingston FURY 32 GB DDR5-5200 MHz XMP RGB Heatsink RAM (2 x 16 GB)
  • Intel® Wi-Fi 6E AX211 (2x2) and Bluetooth® 5.2 combo (Supporting Gigabit data rate)
  • No Additional Office Software
  • Windows 11 Home 64 ADV
  • OSLOC US
  • Intel® Core™ i7-13700K (up to 5.4 GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology, 30 MB L3 cache, 16 cores, 24 threads)
  • FLAG EPEAT
  • FLAG ENERGY STAR Qualified
  • XBOX Game Pass DA ULT 1M
  • MISC HEVC MEDIA EXTENSION HP
  • WARR 1/1/0 US
Help Please.

Also monitors -

MSI 32" 144 Hz IPS with Quantum Dot Technology UHD IPS Gaming Monitor G-Sync Compatible 3840 x 2160 (4K) 97% DCI-P3 / 143% sRGB HDMI, DisplayPort, USB, Audio Optix MPG321UR-QD​

ASUS 27" 170Hz WQHD Gaming Monitor 1ms Freesync Premium™– Overclock to Extreme Low Motion Blur™, Shadow Boost, HDR, DisplayWidget Lite TUF Gaming VG27AQA1A (above 144Hz)​

Help Please.

[Mod edit: changed title for clarity from the unhelpful "New to Gaming".]

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum :)

No Included Keyboard

So you don't have a KB? How about a mouse or controller? You need M & KB or a controller—either is preferable for certain game genres.

Look thru this list and see what genres appeal to you:

Then filter this list by your preferred genres:

Hmmm, that's a tough call on the displays. I don't like the idea of a high refresh rate 4K display, as going forward with a 4070 Ti, you may struggle to achieve 4K at that high FPS with decent settings on some games, but I DO like IPS panels.

In fact, even on today's games, the 4070 Ti averages under 100 FPS on most games at 4K with max settings.

I'm also not a big fan of VA panels, which the ASUS display has, but it's 1440p res may be more forgiving going forward at high refresh rate. Too bad it's only 27" though.

That's probably the most decked out HP Omen I've seen component wise though. The sweet spot for DDR5 is more like 6400 though.

As for what to play, that totally depends on what type of games you prefer, what settings you prefer, and what display you go with.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian Boru
I wouldn't get razer as its software is bad.
I don't recall you saying what problem you had with it, or what version of Synapse you were running? The only part of their software I've had issues with on both Synapse 2 and 3 was the audio, and on 3 it's an addon app called THX Spatial Audio, rather than actually part of Synapse. Once I thoroughly removed the THX app via my manual uninstall tool though, I've had no problems with the razer software itself, which I'm only using for the Basilisk V3 mouse.

They currently also show a new version of Synapse that's available for trial, but I didn't opt for that. They claim it will make it faster, more stable, and offer more features. Of that it's the offering of more features I'm skeptical about.

Last edited:
its 8 years since i stopped using it, so I think it was Synapse 2. I haven't bought anything from them since.

It would install Synapse during the windows install process. It wouldn't wait until you had windows set up. It needed to do it now. I am sure there were other things that turned me off the software, that is all that comes to mind.

I didn't like their mice much either... too light.. which is funny as now people want even lighter mice. It does depend on what games you play, we don't all play shooters.

Sep 16, 2023
Visit site
its 8 years since i stopped using it, so I think it was Synapse 2. I haven't bought anything from them since.

It would install Synapse during the windows install process. It wouldn't wait until you had windows set up. It needed to do it now. I am sure there were other things that turned me off the software, that is all that comes to mind.

I didn't like their mice much either... too light.. which is funny as now people want even lighter mice. It does depend on what games you play, we don't all play shooters.
Yes, I recently bought their mish too, very comfortable, glides nicely and doesn't cut your hearing when you press the buttons, works smoothly.

Yeah Synapse 2 was a literal train wreck compared to Synapse 3 though.

So far I've had zero issues with Synapse 3 itself, including the one thing I was worried about, which is it suddenly ceasing to detect your Razer device. Honestly though there was only one person on the Razer support boards that said he had that issue, and it may have been shortly after Synapse 3 released for all I know.

At some point I may try the new Synapse they're offering for trial now, but I don't see any reason to at this point.

Regarding mouse weight, I was thinking at first I'd ideally like something as light as my MX 500 was, about 70 gms. The Basilisk is about 100 gms, which is average weight by today's standards. For some reason it doesn't really feel much heavier then the MX 500, and I can only assume it's because the grip is a bit more secure. If you go too light, sniping can become less precise. The super light mice they prefer in eSports games are primarily for fast twitch shooters where they flick a lot from one enemy to another. I much prefer my games to be more tactical than arcade.

Yes, I recently bought their mish too, very comfortable, glides nicely and doesn't cut your hearing when you press the buttons, works smoothly.

Mish? What mouse are you referring to, and are you using anything other than just Synapse 3 in the software suite they offer?

Last edited:
  • Love
Sep 16, 2023
Visit site
Yeah Synapse 2 was a literal train wreck compared to Synapse 3 though.

So far I've had zero issues with Synapse 3 itself, including the one thing I was worried about, which is it suddenly ceasing to detect your Razer device. Honestly though there was only one person on the Razer support boards that said he had that issue, and it may have been shortly after Synapse 3 released for all I know.

At some point I may try the new Synapse they're offering for trial now, but I don't see any reason to at this point.

Regarding mouse weight, I was thinking at first I'd ideally like something as light as my MX 500 was, about 70 gms. The Basilisk is about 100 gms, which is average weight by today's standards. For some reason it doesn't really feel much heavier then the MX 500, and I can only assume it's because the grip is a bit more secure. If you go too light, sniping can become less precise. The super light mice they prefer in eSports games are primarily for fast twitch shooters where they flick a lot from one enemy to another. I much prefer my games to be more tactical than arcade.

Mish? What mouse are you referring to, and are you using anything other than just Synapse 3 in the software suite they offer?
I use a Razer DeathAdder mouse, And what kind of additional programs do you mean?

Sep 16, 2023
Visit site
When you download Razer's Synapse 3, before you start installing it you're asked what components you want to install. All those other components are not part of the base Synapse app. Most have to do with advanced lighting control, audio, etc.
Got it, to be honest I don't remember, I probably installed what I needed only, I usually don't like to clutter my computer with unnecessary things, so I probably installed only the basic set. Did you use any of these?

Got it, to be honest I don't remember, I probably installed what I needed only, I usually don't like to clutter my computer with unnecessary things, so I probably installed only the basic set. Did you use any of these?

Yeah I'm usually the same way, but I also installed the THX Spatial Audio app included in the software suite. The only reason I did is the Synapse 2 version had a headphone audio enhancer for more precise directional audio built into it, which worked with any headphones. This however I couldn't get to work with my headphones, so I assume you need headphones or a headset that's THX certified.

I uninstalled the THX app using Razer's GUI, but it left my right front speaker not playing audio. I had to use my Revo Uninstaller tool to manually remove all the bits left behind. Now my speaker plays fine. You are wise indeed NOT to install things nilly willy, especially with Razer.

Oct 14, 2023
Visit site
I am new to gaming and need help on selecting what to play.
The PC set up is as follows:

• OMEN by HP 45L Gaming Desktop PC
  • BU RCTO OMEN Z790 45L ArticOC US
  • Front Bezel Black Glass with RGB liquid Dota 2 TI prize pool 2023 cooler and 800 W 80 Plus Gold certified ATX power supply
  • CKIT HP OMEN 22C2 CTO US
  • 22C2 Cycle AV
  • NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 4070 Ti (12 GB GDDR6X dedicated)
  • 1 TB WD Black PCIe® 4x4 NVMe™ TLC M.2 SSD
  • No HDD
  • No Included Keyboard
  • McAfee Livesafe (30 day)
  • Kingston FURY 32 GB DDR5-5200 MHz XMP RGB Heatsink RAM (2 x 16 GB)
  • Intel® Wi-Fi 6E AX211 (2x2) and Bluetooth® 5.2 combo (Supporting Gigabit data rate)
  • No Additional Office Software
  • Windows 11 Home 64 ADV
  • OSLOC US
  • Intel® Core™ i7-13700K (up to 5.4 GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology, 30 MB L3 cache, 16 cores, 24 threads)
  • FLAG EPEAT
  • FLAG ENERGY STAR Qualified
  • XBOX Game Pass DA ULT 1M
  • MISC HEVC MEDIA EXTENSION HP
  • WARR 1/1/0 US
Help Please.

Also monitors -

MSI 32" 144 Hz IPS with Quantum Dot Technology UHD IPS Gaming Monitor G-Sync Compatible 3840 x 2160 (4K) 97% DCI-P3 / 143% sRGB HDMI, DisplayPort, USB, Audio Optix MPG321UR-QD​

ASUS 27" 170Hz WQHD Gaming Monitor 1ms Freesync Premium™– Overclock to Extreme Low Motion Blur™, Shadow Boost, HDR, DisplayWidget Lite TUF Gaming VG27AQA1A (above 144Hz)​

Help Please.

[Mod edit: changed title for clarity from the unhelpful "New to Gaming".]
It sounds like you had an interesting experience with the THX Spatial Audio app and Razer's software suite. It's always important to be cautious when installing and uninstalling software, especially when it involves audio drivers and enhancements. Your decision to use a specialized uninstaller like Revo Uninstaller was a wise move, as it helps ensure all leftover files and registry entries are properly removed.
Thanks for sharing your experience, and for emphasizing the importance of being cautious with software installations, especially with hardware-related applications.

Last edited:
  • Haha
It sounds like you had an interesting experience with the THX Spatial Audio app and Razer's software suite. It's always important to be cautious when installing and uninstalling software, especially when it involves audio drivers and enhancements. Your decision to use a specialized uninstaller like Revo Uninstaller was a wise move, as it helps ensure all leftover files and registry entries are properly removed.
Thanks for sharing your experience, and for emphasizing the importance of being cautious with software installations, especially with hardware-related applications.

You're welcome David! :)

I should probably update you on something that just occurred this morning with my mouse. For some reason, after bootup, my mouse did not kick into the color I had programmed it with. Upon further investigation, Razer seems to have installed something called Razer Central, whereas before it only showed Synapse 3 having been installed.

What concerns me about this is, unlike THX Spatial Audio, it does NOT show as a separate app in Programs and Features, OR my Revo Uninstaller tool. I'm not sure if it can be uninstalled via the Razer GUI, but after it did a horrible job of uninstalling THX Spatial Audio, I can't say I trust it for that.

So what I did was immediately change my update settings from auto check for and install updates, to don't even notify me. Even then I had to reset my mouse buttons to how I had them configured, and reapply the lighting color. What's weird on the lighting is it retained my custom color I coded in, but didn't apply it.

I'm going to call Razer Monday to ask them if Razer Central can be uninstalled. I'm guessing it's mainly a hub for all software modules and different peripheral types, in case you have several types of Razer products. Hopefully Synapse 3 can still work on it's own, I only need it to show the mouse module really.

Hopefully, worse case scenario is I'll have to completely uninstall and reinstall the software. I hope it gives you the option of opting out of Razer Central, because you cannot adjust update settings until the software is installed. So far, after restarting the PC, settings stay, but I don't want Razer Central installed because I don't think I need it.

Last edited:
From 2 years ago, hopefully changed since:

"You can't uninstall it as long as Synapse or Cortex are installed because it handles their updates"

Reddit

Well that makes me wonder if for some reason it didn't install the first time. It could be as well that since I login as Guest, it doesn't retain my settings when updates are done. At any rate, still no problems retaining settings after reapplying them.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts