Your favorite strategy series

Page 3 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!

McStabStab

Community Contributor
Red Alert 2 is probably my all time favorite for RTS. I have the C&C remastered collection which is great (played a ton of RA when I was young) but nothing compares to RA2.

X-COM Enemy Unknown and Into the Breach are my favorite turn based tactics games with an honorable mention to BattleTech.

Turn Based Strategy I always loved the Civ games but have to give it to Endless Legend or Endless Space. Their asymmetric design provides the most interesting backbone to create your own stories.

EDIT - I should clarify, I think the title is XCOM UFO Defense (1995), not the more recent ones, although the 2013 is pretty good.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yudha and Lutfij
Jul 3, 2020
Visit site
WarCraft 2
StarCraft
StarCraft 2
C&C RA2
C&C 4
SimCity
SimCity 2000
SimCity 4
SimCity (reboot)
Anno 2070
MineCraft
AoE2
Constructor (PC Gamer demo)

Haven't played but want:
Actual Builders
--------------------
Factorio
Satisfactory
Space Engineers

Survival/Builders
-------------------
Rust
H1Z1
DayZ
Subnautica
Raft
Astroneer
Scum
The long Dark
The Forest
Green Hell
7 Days to Die

Reactions: OsaX Nymloth

McStabStab

Community Contributor
WarCraft 2
StarCraft
StarCraft 2
C&C RA2
C&C 4
SimCity
SimCity 2000
SimCity 4
SimCity (reboot)
Anno 2070
MineCraft
AoE2
Constructor (PC Gamer demo)

Haven't played but want:
Actual Builders
--------------------
Factorio
Satisfactory
Space Engineers

Survival/Builders
-------------------
Rust
H1Z1
DayZ
Subnautica
Raft
Astroneer
Scum
The long Dark
The Forest
Green Hell
7 Days to Die

Noticed you listed a bunch of builders / management games. Swing by this thread if you get time: https://forums.pcgamer.com/threads/your-favorite-building-management-games.2917/

Reactions: Pifanjr and Frindis
Whole CnC series gets my #1 spot—currently slowly making my way thru Remastered. Fav of them all is Generals Zero Hour—the Generals' Challenge is great. "Let's give 'em an airshow" "Are you ready for a chemistry lesson?" :D

Civilization is my other biggie. I played 1, 2, & 3 but they didn't hook me. Civ4 got me good though, way over 1,000 hours in that—and a big shout out to the BAT/BUG mod people, thank you, you took the tedium out of it.
I have a few hundred hours in Civ5—love the art style, but not mad about the nerf on playing wide and general slower pace.
I got Civ6 + expansions + DLC finally a few weeks ago when it was on sale in Steam, so I've started on that—seems interesting so far.

Apart from those 2, Supreme Commander Forged Alliance, Total Annihilation, Dark Reign [way underrated imo] and Endless Legend are the others which grabbed me.

Casual strategy: Royal Envoy series is tops—try the free demos at BigFish Games if you haven't played it. Also the Adelantado trilogy and its newer sequel Romans Britons series, plus Northern Tales series for a different style of gameplay.

I have various AoEs, must find time for 'em—man, I so hope reincarnation is true, otherwise I'll never get thru my to-be-played list!

@Brian Boru - ever play any other 4X games besides Civ?
Endless Legend—beautiful graphics, very interesting diversity between the different races, and the Districts idea which is also in Civ6. I also liked the 'region system, where the map was divided up and only one city was allowed in each region or province—nice answer to the Civ problem of city spam & crowding.

I have unplayed Endless Space too, and will be keeping an eye on Amplitude's upcoming 4X Humankind, which looks very interesting at first glance.

I have a number of others, eg Galactic Civs, Sins of a Solar Empire, Total Wars, Heroes of Might and Magics—all on that longest of fingers, the TBP list :)

Reactions: Zloth and Pifanjr
May 5, 2020
Visit site
This is a hard decision. It's between the Total War and Civilization series. I haven't really been keeping up with the new Total Wars tho. Aside from nabbing Troy for free the last one I played was Shogun. Civ III practically got me into PC gaming however. They both win I can't decide.

Original Age of Empires II was fantastic for some good o'l LAN cooperative comp stomp, even in recent years. Black Forest map was great in that when you ran out of stone and gold, there was tons of lumber to trade at the market lol.

Aug 17, 2021
Visit site
There are many as they are all so different, But going for three favourites i would say:

-HoMM series as the top one considering time played summed for the whole series. My favourite is Homm 4 and i didn't play the last HoMM.
- then there is the warcraft series.
- After that i would say Stronghold and Stronghold Crusader because the gameplay is just soo unique.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Aug 17, 2021
Visit site
The Civ series is my favorite one. Because these games had adopted turn system, so I can afford to make another thing during playing one. Besides there are many of time for me to consider my tactics for victory.

Reactions: Brian Boru

TRENDING THREADS