Question Xeon 1650 v3 + 1650 Super upgrade to GTX 2070 advice

Oct 6, 2023
Visit site
Hey all

So I am mainly gaming on my Series S as it out performing my budget build (no shock) I am currently running 1080p and looking to get 60+ fps STABLE. specs below. I can get 60+ FPS in some less demanding title but even then its vert unstable.

I am limited to dual 6pin GPU due to the proprietary HP PSU( swapping not an option)

I did try overclocking my 1650 Super but at stable levels little no no gains

Case / Workstation: HP Z440 Workstation
Power Supply: 850 watt HP proprietary
CPU: Xeon E5-1620 v3 3.50Ghz Quad (4) --- LGA 2011-v3/Socket R3
RAM: 32gb HP (ECC) 2133mhz
GPU: GTX 1650 Super 6gb
Storage: 256gb SSD Kingston A400
Storage: Seagate IronWolf, 6TB 6GB/s, 5,400 RPM, 256MB Cache

My question is with my current CPU do yo think swapping out to a GTX 2070 would show much improvement or am I going got see bottled necks, I believe my RAM is limted to 2133mhz due to teh CPU? I have seen Xeon E5-1650 V4 6 Core's for cheap also.

Appolagies if ive done this incorrectly, this is my first post

Hi and welcome.

Depending on the price a 6 core upgrading might be worth it, it does get you a decent 10%ish single core clock speed bump as well as the extra cores. It is an old architecure now though, so you wont get close to a modern I3 performance wise.

Whether upgrading GPU will help really depends on the specific games we are talking about.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Oct 6, 2023
Visit site
Hey. Thank you!

I've seen the 1650 v4 for £15 - £50

Games wise..

Sea of thieves
Battlefield V and 2042
Warhammer darktide
No mans sky
Spider-man
God of War
Uncharted
COD warfare
Red Dead 2
Baulder gate 3

So frustrating that the Case, PSU, RAM and CPU are nonstandard so would essentially need to start a fresh so just trying to reach max performance I can get our of this thing.

I believe the online games are going to be mainly limited by your CPU, so the V4 might help a little. If youre getting 10% more clockspeed then it should scale pretty linearly to that, so if youre getting 30 minimums you might expect 33 instead. If there are some games where the extra cores help, then it might be quite a bit more. In your position I'd probably take a shot for 50 quid.

The offline single player games you can check whether you will get anything out of a GPU upgrade by setting all graphical settings to the lowest possible and checking whether your FPS improves.

Oct 6, 2023
Visit site
Ah, I wasn't aware online games were so CPU reliant, very good to know - i seems a minefield to know which LGA 2011-v3 Xeon CPU would be best for gaming...there is many options.

The offline single player games you can check whether you will get anything out of a GPU upgrade by setting all graphical settings to the lowest possible and checking whether your FPS improves.

Majority do yes (though I haven't purchased many of the above as to scared they will struggle to run decently) now i am intrigued, How does this confirm a new GPU would give better performance?

The adaptors you might have heard about are the dual 8 pin to 12 Pin ones for the new Nvidia cards.

From a quick look its seems you can get dual 6 pin to single 8 pin adaptors, that way the 6 pin cables shouldnt exceed whatever theyre rated for, as an 8 pin is rated for 150 watts where 6 pins are 75. Anyway, I'm all theory on that but hopefully you can find a way.

My experience is you can safely ignore any 'bottleneck calculators' you find online. Theyre pretty much meaningless. :)

The bottleneck or frame rate limit is always on the CPU or GPU, it depends on a lot of different factors whether it matters or not. You've already figured out with your own testing that a faster GPU will help you in the games you play.

Oct 6, 2023
Visit site
My experience is you can safely ignore any 'bottleneck calculators' you find online. They're pretty much meaningless. :)

The bottleneck or frame rate limit is always on the CPU or GPU, it depends on a lot of different factors whether it matters or not. You've already figured out with your own testing that a faster GPU will help you in the games you play.
Haha I was thinking what about all the outer factors!

Thanks again, I have a birthday coming up so will try the 2070! I don't want much from life...60 fps on a very small budget on a non gaming pc is all I ask 😂

TRENDING THREADS