Question Need help with my first gaming build 1080p 60 fps

Page 2 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!

Kaamos_Llama

Jan 31, 2020
For the same price the Alienware not worth it .

Its very likely the Lenovo will handle a 3060. This is dependent on when the card is released and reviews come out that show whether it uses the same or less power (in Watts) then the RTX 2060. If thats what Lenovo is stating the PSU can handle at maximum. It wouild also need to physically fit too obviously, as different AIB models of graphics cards have different dimensions and some are bigger than others. The power connectors and expansion sockets are universal.

I don't know what NATX is other then its not a standard size. This just means it would probably not be possible to replace the motherboard with an off the shelf one in the future as it wouldn't fit the case.

Reactions: xtrgamer123
Sep 21, 2020
Sorry, but there are so many posts and parts i am not sure what you are getting so i was just talking in general. But IMO the 3060 paired with a 650w PS would be a better option than the 2060. The main reason is the raytracing on the 20 serries is just not up to par to make it worth it. They are good cards if your not using it though. They are a bit of a step up from the 10 series, they are basically a little bump in power usage for a little more performance. The 30 series on the other hand are the ones that ray tracing is going to work well. The GPU's got a fairly sizable boost in the cuda cores this time around so really they are the first true generation of ray tracers. a 2080 could work but i think most people would be unhappy by the performance which is why a lot of folks that even upgraded to them the last time around are already making another upgrade.

As for that comp you posted, Yes it's older but it's actually sorta similar to what i have. I have a slightly older CPU, but newer GPU. It actually works very well. I can play anything i want though sometimes i have to turn down the graphic settings a bit and do a little tweaking. Depending on the price it could be a good option. Though you might wanna just try to build your own. It prices are similar to what i have here 700-800 dollars can make you a very nice computer these days if you can find a vid card that is.

Jan 16, 2021
Sorry, but there are so many posts and parts i am not sure what you are getting so i was just talking in general. But IMO the 3060 paired with a 650w PS would be a better option than the 2060. The main reason is the raytracing on the 20 serries is just not up to par to make it worth it. They are good cards if your not using it though. They are a bit of a step up from the 10 series, they are basically a little bump in power usage for a little more performance. The 30 series on the other hand are the ones that ray tracing is going to work well. The GPU's got a fairly sizable boost in the cuda cores this time around so really they are the first true generation of ray tracers. a 2080 could work but i think most people would be unhappy by the performance which is why a lot of folks that even upgraded to them the last time around are already making another upgrade.

As for that comp you posted, Yes it's older but it's actually sorta similar to what i have. I have a slightly older CPU, but newer GPU. It actually works very well. I can play anything i want though sometimes i have to turn down the graphic settings a bit and do a little tweaking. Depending on the price it could be a good option. Though you might wanna just try to build your own. It prices are similar to what i have here 700-800 dollars can make you a very nice computer these days if you can find a vid card that is.
Understood, so hopefully the 3060 will have low power requirements and I can just swap it in for the 1650 Super. Otherwise maybe the PSU on the Lenovo is upgradeable, as it seems to be the bottleneck as far as upgrading is concerned, and I can swap it out for a better one that goes with the 3060. That seems to be the best path to upgrade.

I'd like to build my own PC, but the prices aren't great in India rn, @Kaamos_Llama laid out a pretty good build but the Lenovo seems to have better specs for less/ same bec of the recent price bump in individual parts.

Jan 16, 2021
Hi guys, my PC arrived Saturday! Now that I've figured out how to share photos, here are a few snaps from Doom 2016 (ultra, 1080p) and Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (high, 1080p). Tbh it's performing better than I thought it would with a single stick of 8 GB RAM, but then I haven't played a AAA game since Crysis 3 so I was bound to be blown away.

I got a discount on the PC so I splurged a bit and bought a 24 inch IPS panel. I love it! Thanks a lot @Kaamos_Llama @SBan83 @JCgames for your help!

I was checking out the 3060 and it has a TDP of 170 W to the 160 W of 2060, does this mean I won't be able to upgrade to that?

Kaamos_Llama

Jan 31, 2020
@xtrgamer123 Looking good, congratulations! Sekiro one of my favourite games of the last couple of years too.

As to the TDP of the 3060, it's possible in that case it will use more power than the 2060, but TDP is not the same as actual power consumption so there is hope yet. Wait for a good review that shows how much power its actually using.

If not there might in the future also be mini versions of the 3060 with slightly reduced clock speeds and voltages that would be suitable if the reference specs are using more power than a 2060.

Jan 16, 2021
Congrats! Next step, cable management.
Haha yeah, I put the case beneath the table, there's a circular hole for them to go through from above. I tied the longer ones with cable ties, it looks a lot better now. God knows what's inside the case though.

Sep 21, 2020
Last edited:
Sep 21, 2020
Go here, and run the little program. It can tell you if there are any tweaks you can do and how your parts stack up to others that are similar. It's a good thing to check as sometimes a simple tweak can really improve your performance. https://www.userbenchmark.com/

Also here is a nice free monitoring program. Works well, low specs, keep track of things. https://www.ccleaner.com/speccy/download/standard

also this, protect your rig, Run the free scan once a week, or at least once a month. :) https://www.malwarebytes.com/

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2021
Go here, and run the little program. It can tell you if there are any tweaks you can do and how your parts stack up to others that are similar. It's a good thing to check as sometimes a simple tweak can really improve your performance. https://www.userbenchmark.com/

Also here is a nice free monitoring program. Works well, low specs, keep track of things. https://www.ccleaner.com/speccy/download/standard

also this, protect your rig, Run the free scan once a week, or at least once a month. :) https://www.malwarebytes.com/
Thanks for the helpful checklist! :)

I ran the scan, it says overall the PC is performing above expectations. My GPU seems to be doing below potential though at 72 %ile. I can't see any tweaks as such besides OCing. Maybe you can tell me if I'm missing something.

Speccy looks good, I'm sure I've used it before. Thanks for reminding me.

As for anti-virus, I got Kaspersky Security Cloud right away for my PC, so hopefully I'm somewhat covered up on that front.

Sep 21, 2020
NP, so many new posts from console gamers i wasn't sure if you were aware of all this stuff that a PC user might use. :) I use a virus scanner, but malewarebytes is a nice secondary malware finder that i still use, it finds things on rare occasions especially if you use a e-mail a ton, those pesky e-mails!

As for the tweaking, if you check those little ? mark near the results sometimes they have tips to tweak some settings, Often it's a bios setting as most comps are using auto/default. So sometimes you need to tweak a ram setting, or even something as simple as turning on turbo. When you boot, you can always just hit del, and enter bios and peak around. A lot of comps don't even come with turbo on as it is a higher power setting. You can always check your motherboard and see if there is a bios update needed. They can often add better stability down the road or support for newer tech. But there are also ram settings and other things that can help. What those are would be MB unique though. One time i had to swap a ram setting, not a frequency but to a different mode, but still turbo is one that could be off by default.

Good to know your comp is running well though, its always nice to see.

Enjoy!

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS