Windows 11's new security feature is so secure you'll need to reinstall the OS to use it (PCG Article)

Zloth

Community Contributor
I think we need to wait and see how this looks when it actually shows up. It's got to go through all the user testing and whatnot before it shows up.

Internet security is getting pretty hard core, though. Governments are getting into hacking, and some are happy to use it even outside of war. I'm not surprised to see Windows starting to lock down harder.

I already know how this is going to turn out. Just like how web browsers automatically block "malicious" web sites that are actually legit sites. I hate it when I need to go to a certain web site, sometimes even from well-known businesses, and the site is blocked for being malicious. It's a pain in the backside having to manually get around that to go to the site I need.

This is probably going to end up like that. I wonder if it will be like a browser and give you the option to bypass the block, or if you'll just be out of luck.

I already know how this is going to turn out. Just like how web browsers automatically block "malicious" web sites that are actually legit sites. I hate it when I need to go to a certain web site, sometimes even from well-known businesses, and the site is blocked for being malicious. It's a pain in the backside having to manually get around that to go to the site I need.

This is probably going to end up like that. I wonder if it will be like a browser and give you the option to bypass the block, or if you'll just be out of luck.

That's exactly what is going to happen. This would be great for work PC's, but not so great for personal use.

I've even had it block pages from well-known companies
I haven't had that directly, but I have had redirects to legit sites interrupted—but not often. My guess is the redirecting site has been flagged for having some bad actors use it.

My most frequent blocks are via MalwareBytes, when I click on suspect links, eg from spammers here if I'm not sure about the link's legitimacy.

I don't use Chrome itself, but all my browsers are Chromium-based.

You've seriously never had that happen in a web browser? I use Chrome; maybe it only happens in Chrome. Like I said, I've even had it block pages from well-known companies a couple of times.
Well Chrome is another exercise in futility like W11. Lately it hounds me constantly with CAPTCHA when doing Google searches if I have my VPN running. I used to just disable the VPN, do a search, then reenable it and it would go away for a while. Now it has me using Bing instead. These are solid reasons some use Edge instead of Chrome.

Reactions: Pifanjr
Malwarebytes will throw that warning at me, and I use Ublock Origin that also stops me going to sites, but I can turn those 2 off. I use Firefox so don't need to worry about Chrome helping... Edge probably do it too soon.
Being nannied by browsers now

Reactions: Pifanjr
Feature is in all versions of win 11, just had to wait to get the Version update to find out.

I am in no hurry to reinstall anyway

I wonder how many days before I forget I got an upgrade
Only obvious changes are:
Task Manager
4DKfBUr.jpg

Start menu allows Folders again, just like win 10
qGtWoZ1.jpg

Also lets you control how many recommended you see. My start is almost empty on purpose, I hardly use it apart from to shut PC off at night.

If I notice any other useful changes, I will mention it.

Last edited:
I presume the titular need to re-install the entire OS went out the window? I would expect to be hearing vastly more about that if it were still the case.
no.
You still need a clean install to get that feature. Its just not essential. Just get it whenever you clean install again
Smart App Control is a new security feature that blocks untrusted applications and applications that are not digitally signed.

Unfortunately, this feature requires a clean install of Windows 11, so those upgrading from Windows 10 or an older Windows 11 version will not be able to use this new feature.

no.
You still need a clean install to get that feature. Its just not essential. Just get it whenever you clean install again

Oh, I misread the title. I thought it meant the update could brick your PC, causing you to have to reinstall Windows. So this isn't nearly as bad as I imagined.

Microsoft might be mad, but releasing an update that intentionally might brick your PC isn't something they do. Unintentionally doing it is always possible. But the outcry would have been huge if everyone who got it offered as an update on every win 11 PC, and a whole bunch of win 10 devices, suddenly had broken PC.

Biggest concern I had installing it were:
  1. is this the right version and not just installing 21H2 again
  2. Will it want me to turn secure boot on

I didn't have to worry in either case, but 1 wasn't obvious until I looked at Windows Version.
EMtINv1.jpg

Since I installed it 2 hours after it went live...
and 2 likely only become a problem when I clean install one day.
Then they temporarily broke windows update after the update but there is a fix for that - link

The update is pretty boring really, a lot of the new things are just adjustments. Its why I had to go look at what changed, and even after doing so, wasn't really impressed. Favorite files in file explorer is nice, but most of changes are for people with laptops. https://beebom.com/best-windows-11-22h2-features/

Last edited:
I misread the title. I thought it meant
I thought it meant
Yeah, the OP isn't too bright, sorry about that :(
I got it wrong first time too, cos I fell asleep before I reached the end of it, and then woke and just read the final bit and went OMG :eek:

most of changes are for people with laptops
I've noticed that with MS major updates, they tend to focus each one on a particular theme or user group—eg the (in)famous early Win10 one called 'Creators' Update' which included the downloadable crayons.

TRENDING THREADS