Question Why Does My PC Performance Decreases The More I Play?

May 6, 2020
Visit site
Good day,

My issue lies when I have been playing Modern Warfare Warzone or Multiplayer for over 1+ hours. When I first run the game everything feels crispy and smooth and the game is not experiencing any issues. However, after that 1 hour mark the game begins feeling delayed. Even though my fps show 120+ it feels like 60 with V-sync on. Aiming across the screen feels dragged and slow. Usually can be fixed by restarting the computer and letting it cool down. Could anyone help with this issue? I thought that it could be due to my monitor being 60Hz however when I first run the game it feels very responsive and fast. I also thought that it could be an overheating GPU or CPU. GPU reaches 74-75 C. All of my game settings are set to lowest apart from the resolution which is 1920x1080. Please help!

My specs:
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Six-Core 3.40 GHz
Video Card: Radeon RX 590 Series Sapphire 8GB
RAM: 16 GB

Last edited by a moderator:
I also thought that it could be an overheating GPU or CPU. GPU reaches 74-75 C

And the CPU? What are the temperatures and frequencies it reaches during smooth gameplay, and during choppy gameplay?

It could also be that something else is using your PC's resources e.g. using your CPU, GPU, or storage drive. Does the % load change between the smooth and choppy gameplay? And if so, what processes are using it? What does Task Manager say?

MangoPop

BANNED
Apr 13, 2020
Visit site
can be what Oussebon said or other things as well ... try the following link

spvtnik1

Community Contributor
Jan 13, 2020
Visit site
Does this only happen in CoD Warzone? Sometimes this sort of thing can be baked in to the application... maybe it only becomes an issue with certain hardware/drivers, maybe it's across the board. Your RAM and GPU seem to be up to snuff, perhaps the weak link is in the CPU but that's just speculation as well.

I'm surprised no one asked, are you are air-cooled or liquid-cooled?

Definitely monitor your temps to see how they perform before, during and after gameplay. Temperature is a big deal, honestly. Sometimes I have to take a 15 minute break after multiple-hour marathons just so I can let myself cool down, let alone the computer, because the room temperature has risen several degrees F. Any computer at full load is going to eventually hit a performance-to-thermals plateau once the ambient temps rise enough, unless you have perfect air circulation going on.

Inspireless Llama

Community Contributor
From what I see there, the max temp of your Ryzen 2600 was 65 degrees, which actually is fairly cool if we consider that that was under load.
GPU on 75 degrees is totally fine too.

Steam Support also has an article on it. On what disk is it installed? Is it an HDD or an SSD? And how full are they?

Steam Support said:
Disk drive slowdowns

Games sometimes have to read or write data during game play. If the disk drive responds quickly then these disk accesses will cause small or unnoticeable frame rate hitches. However a drive will occasionally take a second or longer to respond, and when this happens it is common for the game to pause for this length of time.

Surprisingly enough, these long pauses seem to happen most frequently with SSDs (Solid State Drives). Some SSDs, particularly those that are almost full, will occasionally do a significant amount of house-keeping at inopportune times. It may be possible to use Resource Monitor to detect this situation. You can run Resource Monitor by typing its name into the Start Menu’s search box. Then go to the Disk tab and open up the Disk Activity section. The Response Time column shows how long the disk is taking to respond to requests. If you click this column header it will sort the results by response time and then you can watch, while you are gaming, for excessively long responses that are correlated with frame rate problems. A response time of more than 10-20 ms may start causing performance problems in games.

Some hard drives go to sleep (spin down the platters) after just ten or fifteen seconds of no disk activity. These drives will then take a second or longer to respond to any read requests because they have to get the platters spinning again before they can read any data. These drives can easily cause read delays that are too long for games to hide, and therefore these drives can lead to significant frame rate hitches.

Reactions: Oussebon
May 6, 2020
Visit site
Is it normal though that one of the cores reaches 65 and the other ones are in 30-40s? Its on my HDD because SSD is too small to hold Modern warfare

Inspireless Llama

Community Contributor
These are motherboard sensors. There's only one CPU temperature shown, that's Package (Node 0).

That it's installed on your HDD could explain why it slows down. It may not be the issue though.

Some hard drives go to sleep (spin down the platters) after just ten or fifteen seconds of no disk activity. These drives will then take a second or longer to respond to any read requests because they have to get the platters spinning again before they can read any data. These drives can easily cause read delays that are too long for games to hide, and therefore these drives can lead to significant frame rate hitches.

May 6, 2020
Visit site
So I should try upgrading to a bigger SSD and installing a game onto it. Also, could getting a better CPU cooler to improve it? Because I have a stock one. Also, reapplying thermal paste?

Inspireless Llama

Community Contributor
I can't give a guarantee that installing your game on an SSD will improve performance.

If your 65 degrees Celsius is your CPU under load (for a longer time) there's no need to upgrade your cooler, because your CPU isn't throttling yet (slowing itself down). The safe temperature for a Ryzen CPU is as far as I remember, 95 degrees Celsius.

You may want to check the CPU temps with the Ryzen Master software - I'm not fully up to date on this but I know that some software has had reporting errors with CPU temps and doesn't show correct values.

however if those values are correct then it's not thermal throttling.

TRENDING THREADS