How To Why an SSD is Better for Gaming

Computer technology advances very quickly and getting the right components for your PC build can seem intimidating. This guide is here to explain why it's time to commit to a solid state drive (SSD) rather than the older technology of mechanical drives.

jMV9cH4.jpg

Mechanical Hard Drives
HNB9WNd.jpg

A mechanical drive, or hard disk drive (HDD for short), works with data being stored on a spinning magnetic platter. How quickly data can be accessed will depend on how fast the platter is spinning. The rotations per minute (RPM) of a given HDD's determines how fast data is accessed (usually between 5,400 and 10,000 RPM).

HDD can offer massive amounts of storage space, but large spinning disks generate a lot of heat, so top speed is substantially limited when trying to store or access this data.

Solid State Drives
RQVguzG.jpg

Conversely, solid state drives (SSD for short) rely on solid state flash memory that reads and writes data to the memory much faster than a mechanical drive.

Please note that SSD's, while a vital component of any computer build, do not completely replace HDD just yet because solid state drives don't yet have the kind of storage capacity you can find on older drives. This means the ideal gaming PC will combine the best of both worlds, with a solid state drive for the operating system and resource intensive programs such as the latest video games, and secondary mechanical drives to store older games, and any other applications that don't rely on cutting edge to run their best.

The great part about the incredible PC Gamer community is that folks just like you are here to support you as you work to build your own perfect gaming rig. Don't hesitate to post your questions here to the forums if you need any advice or assistance.

If you're looking to read even more on the topic, check out this article from the Editorial team.

Last edited:
HDD can offer massive amounts of storage space, but large spinning disks generate a lot of heat, so top speed is substantially limited when trying to store or access this data.
gets picky... comparing the operating temp of my hdd - 33c to the temp of my nvme - 53c makes me think that as PCIe 4 nvme or higher come out, the temps they hit just running normally might eclipse a hdd at full load. Admittedly they can access considerably more in that time, but using an nvme for games is a waste of a really good boot drive. All it helps is load speeds and unless you play games with a lot of loading screens, it may not help you much more than an ssd would, or a hdd.

how much storage space you need might be factor. having 2 drives is still a security blanket against losing everything if 1 drive dies. But with cloud storage and high speed internet, its not really essential anymore... like linus I can't give up my blanket... it seems :)

Reactions: Brian Boru
You forget that some Brainiac's have lived with WD Black drives...they should be as hot as the sun(not to mention the PCIe 4.0 SSD's you speak of), might even rival the FX 9000 series, I kid!

I should add the point about having two SSD's in any build as a baseline but then again people with limited width in their wallet's might come at me with pitchforks!

• Haha
Reactions: redmark_
i was going to have 2 nvme only but my wallet didn't like that idea. Could add one later, buy a PCIe4 one and use it. Just need to invent a use for my space. I could replace my 3tb hdd but then i have a spare 3tb hdd... i could run on just one nvme really. its just that blanket effect. I have lost everything before and although its over 15 years ago now, I still remember.

I had a velociraptor hdd, it came in its own heatsink. I have no idea what temps it ran at though. It was 10k rpm drive. I had 2 of them, the first one killed itself.

This is a neat guide intro for those that are unsure...

I remember the first time I transitioned and bought a 120GB SSD for my aging PC the speed was amazing!
It was like being high on octane playing need for speed. 😂
of course, I still needed ye olde' 1 TB HDD as storage. 😉

^ Thank you for the praise, sir!

Speaking of people who are unsure...I recall my first attempt in dropping in an SSD into a laptop while keeping the stock HDD(that came with the laptop) in said mobile computing device. Was a nightmare trying to figure out which ODD caddy was compatible with XYZ lappy.

Also, getting that SSD on any system, for the first time made one think they got a mild upgrade on their platform. Also, all that waiting time...poof, gone!

^ Thank you for the praise, sir!

Speaking of people who are unsure...I recall my first attempt in dropping in an SSD into a laptop while keeping the stock HDD(that came with the laptop) in said mobile computing device. Was a nightmare trying to figure out which ODD caddy was compatible with XYZ lappy.

Also, getting that SSD on any system, for the first made one think they got mild upgrade on their platform. Also, all that waiting time...poof, gone!
ooh, a nightmare huh, lucky desktops are easier to figure out. 😁

yeah, I remember all these stories about how people would turn on their PC, go make coffee☕™ , and return to their PC almost ready to reach the login screen.🤣

Then, when SSD is now running for the first time, it's suddenly 10 sec boot time. 🥰

• Haha
Reactions: Lutfij
go make coffee☕™
You forgot getting a muffin/pastry of choice from the bakery down the street(as well).

it's suddenly 10 sec boot time. 🥰
30 seconds for me, since I experienced an SSD while on Windows 7. Didn't bother with 8/8/1 and finally jumped onboard 10. Will be waiting eagerly for how things shape up for 11.

• Love
Reactions: redmark_
go make coffee☕™
You forgot getting a muffin/pastry of choice from the bakery down the street(as well).

it's suddenly 10 sec boot time. 🥰
30 seconds for me, since I experienced an SSD while on Windows 7. Didn't bother with 8/8/1 and finally jumped onboard 10. Will be waiting eagerly for how things shape up for 11.
hah, I remember we had a neighbor whose PC would boot up in like 30 minutes. 😁 old clunker.

Also, the only thing that interests me in windows 11, is the native ability to install android apps.
Other than that, I'm not as much hyped. probably performance tweaks would be good on w11.

@Lutfij My motherboard supposedly supports it, but I need to use a USB 2.0 with no more than 16GB of size, and even then, it MIGHT not work at all. Seems BIOS is bloody picky with what USB stick you stuff into the slots. I did try with a USB 2.0 128GB and USB 3.0/3.1 16BG&32GB before I read about the "correct" way of installing it. Perhaps I should get myself one of those lucky charms and put it on the tower, just to be sure the next time.

• Haha
Reactions: Brian Boru

TRENDING THREADS