Who was the first gaming YouTube creator that you watched?

I'm fairly certain that the first gaming content that I watched was by Tobuscus (Toby Turner) and his Minecraft series. Later I started watching a variety of others like SethBling, Lordminion777 and Markiplier. Somehow I drifted away from watching gaming videos, but I'm curious who your first creator was.

(UGH! Researching this post, I looked up Toby Turner and found out he has been accused of rape twice, of cheating on everyone he ever dated, and of having drug problems. So much for my fond memories!)

That's a good question. It's been about 15 years, so it's really hard to say which one was the first. I think The Angry Video Game Nerd, Brentalfloss' "What if <video game theme> had lyrics?" videos and the Hey Ash Watcha Playing series were some of the earliest fan-made game related content I followed, but that started on the Game Trailers and Screw Attack website, not on YouTube.

On YouTube, two of the earliest ones I followed were probably VivaLaDirtLeague, which is still ongoing, and RocketJump, which stopped 4 years ago.

There's been a lot of other videos and series I've watched, but I can't think of any other creators where I actively checked whether they had any new content from that long (10+ years) ago.

... I feel a nostalgia binge coming on.

I'm fairly certain that the first gaming content that I watched was by Tobuscus (Toby Turner) and his Minecraft series. Later I started watching a variety of others like SethBling, Lordminion777 and Markiplier. Somehow I drifted away from watching gaming videos, but I'm curious who your first creator was.

(UGH! Researching this post, I looked up Toby Turner and found out he has been accused of rape twice, of cheating on everyone he ever dated, and of having drug problems. So much for my fond memories!)

I only know Tobuscus for a couple of songs he made. He taught me that cashews grow on a fruit.

I don't recall early-on channels I might have watched and dropped, but the 2 oldest I'm still subbed to are PotatoMcWhiskey from 2011 and Gameranx from 2012.

Spud is by far the best Civ tuber I've seen, and Gameranx has maintained its entertaining style over the years.

Thanks for this gee-up to run thru my YT subs and cull a lot I don't watch anymore—makes my Subscriber list half useful now.

I watch too much YouTube. If there was a way to find out on the site I'd let you know but I really can't remember.
You can go to https://myactivity.google.com/myactivity and then find the first channel you subscribed to.

I can't find the exact date since my old channel is no more, but I am pretty sure that I first subbed to Athene. This was back in 2008 when WoW released its Wrath Of The Lich King expansion.

maybe I am slow but how does one use that page to find 1st sub? All it shows me is my activities the last few days.

Not going to scroll down through 10 years. I don't have time for that and I bet it stops at some stage. I got as far as 2022.

I leave you with some cows as looking through favourites was an idea I had

Helps if you mention its in the Other Activities section. Took me a while.

Nvm, seems it was Totalbiscuit in 2011. I did sub to some lesser known channels before then. My 1st sub was to Blizzard in 2009 - I wonder if I was still playing WOW back then. I must have stopped around that time.

Last edited:
You can go to https://myactivity.google.com/myactivity and then find the first channel you subscribed to.

Thank you.

Helps if you mention its in the Other Activities section. Took me a while.

Thank you too.

It seems the very first channels I subscribed to, in 2009, were for Barney's Mind and Shephard's Mind, which were based off of Freeman's Mind (I'm not sure why I didn't subscribe to that one).

I see I also subscribed to a channel called Wayside Digital because I wanted to watch Fallout: Nuka Break, a fan made short movie, which I still haven't gotten around to...

Another game series I started following over 10 years ago is Extra Credits (most of their videos are still under Extra History, they recently split the two). I started following them when they moved to Penny Arcade.

It seems my search history isn't complete, as it only starts in 2011 and seems too sparse, but it looks like I was also watching Red vs. Blue back then.

Dunkey

It’s hard to say who was the very first gaming Youtuber I’ve ever watched was, but I’ve watched Dunkey consistently for 11-12 years straight, and the only other YouTubers I’ve watched that consistently is Mega64.

Dunkey’s comedy style and humor is unlike anyone else on YouTube. Every single one of his videos are hilarious, informative, and pure entertainment. I can watch through his backlog of videos many times over and still laugh as hard as I did the first time. He shows how absurd games can be, while also complimenting and dissecting good games.

The many in-jokes, obscure references, and long running gags makes long time fans like me happy that he has never changed up or sold out to please a larger audience. I remember when he released his 100K subscriber video, now he has 7.4M. It’s extremely rare to have any sort of internet based creator stay true to their roots and their original style while experiencing huge growth like that. The fact that he referenced a 10 year old video of his in one of his most recent videos is proof that he is still the same guy after all the success.

I wish him and his family great luck on their new video game publishing company called Big Mode. If anybody should be CEO of a games publisher, it should be a real gamer who actually knows what gamers like and Dunkey is exactly that person.

Here is one of my top favorite Dunkey videos:

View: https://youtu.be/IvDeXaiBy3I

McStabStab

Community Contributor
14 years ago I watched a series of "let's plays" of a guy trying to play an ironman run of X-Com: UFO Defense on superhuman difficulty all while starting his base in the Antarctic. The youtuber's name is Kikoskia and I found it randomly when looking for some X-Com tips. I found his commentary humorous and I respected him taking on such a crazy challenge (even though he got massacred which was to be expected).

He was the first youtuber/streamer that I watched play games for sure.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8zpB0Gw46g&list=PLD7DE1C42D89C81C0

TRENDING THREADS