I'm In The Market For A Different FPS, Any Suggestions?

Nov 19, 2023
Visit site
I'm looking for a different FPS than BF, but let me explain.

Years ago my brother and his friends were all playing COD on console and I was playing games on such as racing and flight games.

I bought a console and tried COD and it just wasn't for me. It seemed like you did nothing but run around in circles on a predefined path and chaotically shot each other.

When my brother saw it wasn't for me he suggested BF, in particularly BFBC2.

I tried it and really liked it. Then not long afterwards BF3 came out and I was hooked. To this day I think it is one of the best FPS ever.

That being said, ever since BF3, it seems to me that the BF franchise has drifted to being more and more like COD.

The things that I didn't like about COD and liked about BF are indistinguishable now.

Because of that I'm looking for a new FPS to play.

The things I'm looking for are what made me gravitate toward BF in the beginning, teamwork and a more methodical game play. I guess you could say by methodical I mean slower but its more than just slower.

I've been watching numerous Twitch streams and YouTube videos looking something more my style.

From what I've seen Squad may be a good candidate.

Others I've looked at are Counter-Strike, Insurgency Sandstorm, Escape From Tarkov.

Any ideas, feedback or experience would be greatly appreciated.

I wouldn’t have said CounterStrike was methodical. Nor really Halo Infinite. But as said by Zed, they are free to try and personal favourites of mine. I would say they are quite similar to cod in pace.

I haven’t played the others. I’ve watched some Escape from Tarkov and it’s a lot of being aware in case of the odd attack, as you have little health and only one life per session.

You might like Hell Let Loose, though you might want to watch some YouTube videos for gameplay and see what the player count is like these days ( it has been a while since I played it).

Welcome to the forum, great contributions so far :)

Just to be clear: you're only interested in multiplayer, yes?

you could say by methodical I mean slower but its more than just slower

How about strategic choices and tactical flexibility, allied with quite different gameplay options you can embrace or disregard?

Those are some of what has made Far Cry my FPS franchise of choice, but they don't have big multiplayer as far as I know, just co-op. The AI buddies in FC5 and New Dawn are great for banter and impact, FC6 not so much.

Have you thought of trying any other genres beyond FPS? It's a big gaming world out there :)

PS Warning: this place is infested with RPG carriers, make sure you have anti-hysteria pills handy.

Nov 19, 2023
Visit site
Thanks everyone for the responses, I appreciate the input.

Welcome to the forum, great contributions so far :)

Just to be clear: you're only interested in multiplayer, yes?

How about strategic choices and tactical flexibility, allied with quite different gameplay options you can embrace or disregard?

Those are some of what has made Far Cry my FPS franchise of choice, but they don't have big multiplayer as far as I know, just co-op. The AI buddies in FC5 and New Dawn are great for banter and impact, FC6 not so much.

Have you thought of trying any other genres beyond FPS? It's a big gaming world out there :)

PS Warning: this place is infested with RPG carriers, make sure you have anti-hysteria pills handy.

Yes you are right, I should have qualified.

I am looking for PvP.

I do play others beside FPS

Right now I am playing:

War Thunder
World of Tanks (very little but used to be my go to game)
DCS
Forza Motorsport
Forza Horizon 5
Even a little GT7

I still have that itch to play a good PvP FPS that isn't completely chaotic.

@1BRAVO9

PUBG: A decent battle royale game that is a bit slower-paced than games like the Battlefield series or COD/Warzone. I'd highly recommend playing in 1PP (first-person perspective) mode if you do try it out, as that mode has fewer cheaters and is even more tactical since you don't have the 3PP advantage that many players use for camping.

Rainbow Six Siege: Tactical and slow-paced. Heavy focus on good communication, team balance, and knowing the layouts of the area for better defense/breach.

Dayz: This game has a focus on good mic communication, trigger discipline, being able to navigate the surroundings, base building (though never did that myself) knowing the difference between buildings, landscape layout, and thirst/hunger/blood/disease management. High adrenaline fights with snaps and crackles and always that feeling of not knowing if you are safe.

Arma 3: Much like Dayz when it comes to being tactical, but with a much more military focus. Both Dayz and Arma 3 work best together with mods, so I would highly recommend looking into the different choices. In Arma 3 you could be playing mods that basically play out like a GTA simulator (get a job, get rich, get into fights) or deep, deeeeeep into super realistic military campaigns or huge terrain wars. There are a lot of choices for both games. If you are lucky (depending on any servers online), you might be able to play the legendary Arma 3: Battle Royale mod which was for a time hugely successful and for me one of the absolute most adrenaline-pumping and fun Battle Royale versions to this date.

Unless you add battle royales to this discussion, I think we've covered nearly all of the major FPS PvP games. You could look at indie games, but the problem with those is player counts, and they tend to close down pretty quickly.

Games like the latest Quake and Plants v Zombies are definitely not methodical. The Gears of War games might be, but I think they are 3rd person perspective. I've never played them, but they all have PvP and the SP campaigns are pretty tactical.

Have you tried other types of PvP games like Civilization and Total War? MOBAs? Valorant and Atlas Reactor are turn based, which qualifies as methodical to me, but maybe that's too methodical for you. I guess you specifically want an FPS, but we're running out of them.

It's worth noting. though I'm sure you are aware. that all the old CODs are still available and have players (so far as I can tell).

I was in the exact same boat as you, though I still enjoy BF, even the newest one. The one game I will suggest to you that I’m surprised hasn’t been recommended by anyone else is Insurgency Sandstorm. To me, it is the perfect blend of realism+BF-like arcadeyness, encourages teamwork, and can be brutal if you aren’t methodical with your approach. There are plenty of game modes, with one that is just like BF Conquest with unlimited respawns. Most PVP modes have limited respawns, so dying really hurts your teams which means you have to play slower and smarter. Lean mechanics are always great and a huge missing feature from the BF games. It also has Co-op modes where you and your team fight against AI bots and it’s surprisingly great, it’s my main game mode that I play. Hardcore Co-op specifically can be insane and very tough. Also, Insurgency does have a truck you can drive, but it’s a bit useless unless you’re on mic with the guy on the gunner position. So basically there are no vehicles.

Squad is a good choice too but that is steering further into milsim territory, with having hierarchies of players above you that command everyone else beneath them. If I’m not mistaken, I believe there is a commander, then platoons, then your squad. You have a squad leader who takes orders from the platoon leader who takes orders from the commander. It gets very realistic and encourages you to be on your mic constantly for the best experience. Maps are huge, engagements can come suddenly and throw you off guard, and matches can take hours to complete. ARMA3 has all of this but I feel Squad is a lot more user-friendly and easier to jump straight into a match without the need to download 20GB worth of mods for one server. Squad also has a large arrangement of vehicles to master which is familiar to the BF style.

Basically, go Insurgency if you want a more familiar feeling FPS that has slightly more realism than BF and is easier to learn. Squad can be very punishing, has a steep learning curve and it’s so much more than just being good with a gun. It takes real coordination with your team to succeed.

Hope this helps!

Nov 19, 2023
Visit site
I was in the exact same boat as you, though I still enjoy BF, even the newest one. The one game I will suggest to you that I’m surprised hasn’t been recommended by anyone else is Insurgency Sandstorm. To me, it is the perfect blend of realism+BF-like arcadeyness, encourages teamwork, and can be brutal if you aren’t methodical with your approach. There are plenty of game modes, with one that is just like BF Conquest with unlimited respawns. Most PVP modes have limited respawns, so dying really hurts your teams which means you have to play slower and smarter. Lean mechanics are always great and a huge missing feature from the BF games. It also has Co-op modes where you and your team fight against AI bots and it’s surprisingly great, it’s my main game mode that I play. Hardcore Co-op specifically can be insane and very tough. Also, Insurgency does have a truck you can drive, but it’s a bit useless unless you’re on mic with the guy on the gunner position. So basically there are no vehicles.

Squad is a good choice too but that is steering further into milsim territory, with having hierarchies of players above you that command everyone else beneath them. If I’m not mistaken, I believe there is a commander, then platoons, then your squad. You have a squad leader who takes orders from the platoon leader who takes orders from the commander. It gets very realistic and encourages you to be on your mic constantly for the best experience. Maps are huge, engagements can come suddenly and throw you off guard, and matches can take hours to complete. ARMA3 has all of this but I feel Squad is a lot more user-friendly and easier to jump straight into a match without the need to download 20GB worth of mods for one server. Squad also has a large arrangement of vehicles to master which is familiar to the BF style.

Basically, go Insurgency if you want a more familiar feeling FPS that has slightly more realism than BF and is easier to learn. Squad can be very punishing, has a steep learning curve and it’s so much more than just being good with a gun. It takes real coordination with your team to succeed.

Hope this helps!

I mentioned Insurgency: Sandstorm in my OP and thanks for providing some perspective on it.

Steam is having one of their big annual sales tomorrow and if Insurgency is on sale I will get it.

I will probably also get Squad as well.

I mentioned Insurgency: Sandstorm in my OP and thanks for providing some perspective on it.

Steam is having one of their big annual sales tomorrow and if Insurgency is on sale I will get it.

I will probably also get Squad as well.
How did I miss that😂 Sandstorm is on sale for 9.89, while Squad is for 24.99!

I have lots of other games to recommend, like Isonzo or Ground Branch, but the playerbases are so low that it makes it hard to suggest you spend money on a multiplayer focused game without players.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Nov 19, 2023
Visit site
How did I miss that😂 Sandstorm is on sale for 9.89, while Squad is for 24.99!

I have lots of other games to recommend, like Isonzo or Ground Branch, but the playerbases are so low that it makes it hard to suggest you spend money on a multiplayer focused game without players.

Yeah since both were on sale I got both and will give them a try over the long holiday weekend.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts