Who is your favorite female game protagonist?

Rule: You can't have an option to play a male in the game. So Lara Croft is a valid answer, but all those female AC options and femShep are not.

Mine is Amanda Ripley from Alien Isolation. She's very Sigourney Weaver-like. She's strong, doesn't panic (and if there were ever someone with just cause to panic, it would be her), and just takes care of business. Most of the others I considered were from Point & Click games, and maybe they had more developed personalities, but Ripley is still my favorite.

Hmm, haven't played many where there was no male option. Only ones I can think of offhand:

Cate Archer from No One Lives Forever pair;
Chell from Portal pair;
Kate Walker from Syberia trilogy;
Lara Croft from Tomb Raider series;
Nancy Drew.

Of those, definitely Cate Archer is my top. Classy, tough, sexy, accomplished, suave, confident, highly skilled in spycraft—a cross between Emma Peel from The Avengers and James Bond.

Zloth

Community Contributor
Other game options:
  • Control
  • Dishonored: Death of the Outsider
  • Subnautica 2
  • Bayonetta
  • Alice: Madness Returns
  • Echo
  • Remember Me
  • Nier Automata
  • Blood Rayne
I think Cate would be my favorite, too. She's more inventive than Lara.

Jesse from Control has some real possibilities. Now that she's got a good handle on what's going on, she's dynamite!

Last edited:
This is undoubtedly the category with the fewest choices. Most games I've played have character creation choices for both male/female. Of games I played that had only a female lead, Cate Archer & Laura Croft would be ranked 1 and 2.

A game I haven't played yet, so this may be an invalid answer, Horizon Zero Dawn, has Aloy as your character. I don't have any experience there obviously, but she seems like a strong choice as a female protagonist.

Just noticed another while doing the Epic freebies. I've never heard of it, so no idea if any good—$3 on Epic, $20 on Steam at the moment:

TRENDING THREADS