Which pc is better for me

May 28, 2020
Visit site
Hi

First off i want to say thank you for taking the time to assist today im currently about to buy my new gaming pc, my dream for a long time but have always been unable to do this my grandmother passed away recently and left me money £3000 with specific instruction to buy my dream rig so want to do her proud lol, i currently have 2 MSI Optix AG32CQ 31.5 QHD 144hz Monitors im posting the specs heres With the amd vs intel builds ive put together over past few months with a little bit about what sort of things i play and do,

Some of the games i play are

Star citizen
Arma 3
Ark
Escape from tarkov
Gta
Flight simulator 2020 (quite demanding apparantly when released)

i also want to introduce the HTC VIVE into my life in the near future

whilst playing i also stream from time to time also now ive done so much research on these system parts and i know usually intel is king in gaming but alot of ppl are also loving the amd so as you can imagine its a tad confusing, i just want something that will run everything i need on max settings with smooth and fast fps whilst also future proofing, the systems are the following also i know the new intels have been released but that takes me over budget

PC 1: £3009 - Intel Build

Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit Operating System

Corsair Crystal Series 570X RGB Tempered Glass Mid-Tower Case

ASUS ROG Ryujin 240mm AIO OLED Intel/AMD CPU Water Cooler

750W - Corsair RM750x Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Intel Core i9 9900K 8 Core CPU [Intel® UHD Graphics 630] [Unlocked]

ASUS Xonar AE 7.1 PCI-E Gaming Sound Card

Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut High Performance Thermal Paste - 11.1g / 3 ml

32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4 3000MHz Memory - Black with RGB

512GB M.2 PCI-E NVMe Solid State Drive [Up to 3500MB/s Read | Up to 2300MB/s Write]

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E - Intel DDR4 ATX Motherboard [Wi-Fi included]

11GB ASUS ROG STRIX OC NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti - RTX Enabled!

ASUS ROG Addressable 30cm Magnetic RGB LED Strip

2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA III 3.5" Hard Drive 6GB/s

4 Plug PDU (Power Distribution Unit) with Surge Protection 2M Lead

Cable Management Service

ASUS LITE External Slimline 8x DVD Re-Writer

PC 2: £2979 - AMD Build

512GB M.2 PCI-E NVMe Solid State Drive [Up to 3500MB/s Read | Up to 2300MB/s Write]

ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F PCIe 4.0 ATX Motherboard - AURA SYNC RGB READY!

11GB NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti (1 x HDMI | 3 x DP | 1 x USB-C) - RTX Enabled!

Game Max Phantom RGB Tempered Glass Midi PC Gaming Case

750W - Corsair TX750M 80+ Gold Semi Modular PSU

Thermal Grizzly Hydronaut High Performance Thermal Paste

32GB (4x4GB) Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4 3000MHz Memory - Black with RGB AMD

Ryzen 9 3900X 12 Core CPU with Wraith Prism RGB Cooler

RGB Kit (3x12cm Fans + 2xLED Strips) with Remote Control

ASUS LITE External Slimline 8x DVD Re-Writer

ASUS PCE-N15 N300 300Mbps 802.11 b/g/n

ASUS Xonar AE 7.1 PCI-E Gaming Sound Card

i really do appreciate the feedback people and i hope i can find the right one for me

Very sorry for your loss. It sounds as though she had her priorities straight!

Either PC would do very well of course, but for straight gaming performance the Intel one would be the one to choose of the two.

However, Intel have just launched their '10th Gen' CPUs including the 10900k (10900k - not the 10900x - thanks for the confusion, Intel), and if you were going to drop ~£500 on a CPU for gaming right now, I would suggest looking for a build with that. This will also involve a Z490 motherboard.

FSX - as I understand it - loves frequency, which the 10900k beats the 9900k on. FS 2020 will probably be less bothered about that than its predecessor. But either way, the 'money's no obstacle' consumer gaming CPU performance crown goes to the 10900k.

Assuming it's a spec you can customise, I would ditch the sound card as it's not going to add much value. Motherboard audio is decent and if you have some very nice hi-fi gear to listen to things on, it's probably not a gamer-branded soundcard by Asus that you're after.

The Game Max case looks stifling for airflow, while the Corsair 570x isn't.

And given a choice, RMx > TXm because RMx = semi passive.

I'd also investigate that Asus cooler to see if it's any good, or if it's just tat with an Asus logo and price markup slapped on it.

Similarly, the 2080 ti Strix may not be worth the price premium over another brand. They're usually not.

Reactions: Zoid and Avalon
Feb 15, 2020
Visit site
Well there are a couple of things I would change to each build. First, don't buy a mechanical hard drive! Bump up the NVMe storage to at least 1TB, go for 2TB if you can afford it. Ditch the sound card, theres no need for them nowadays unless you're a musician. Go for a fully modular Power Supply and buy some custom cables from CableMod, just search Amazon for the colors you like.

May 28, 2020
Visit site
Both are nice builds, sorry for your loss.
Thank you i appreciate it i feel its not the beat thing to come out of a loss buying a new pc but she knew i was passionate but ive listened to the advice and changed some stuff around removing the sound card and adding the bigger drive

1TB Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive [Up to 550MB/s Read | Up to 520MB/s Write]

ASUS TUF GT501 Tempered Glass RGB PC Gaming Case

4 Year Standard Warranty (2 Month Collect/Returns, 1 Year Parts, 4 Year Labour)

Thermal Grizzly Hydronaut High Performance Thermal Paste - 3ml / 7.8g

Gladiator Standard Build Service: 5-7 Working Days

32GB (4x4GB) Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4 3000MHz Memory - Black with RGB

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12 Core CPU with Wraith Prism RGB Cooler [GPU Required]

2m DVI-D Dual-Link Cable

Cable Management Service

May 28, 2020
Visit site
I do alot of streaming and 3d modelling and rendering something that amd does better then intel with the extra cores
Ive been told the x570 works really well with the 3900x @Oussebon please speak freely i appreciate any advice if i need to do something different i dnt mind getting a grilling

Last edited:
No grilling intended, this is your cash after all ;)

I won't discuss specific stores, but once you've settled on a spec, I would recommend shopping around other UK custom PC makers (there are quite a few of them) to see whether anyone else will sell you the same thing or better for a lower price. Some of the pricing might be a bit steep.

The emphasis on streaming and 3D modelling is a good argument for a 3900x. And yes, with a 3900x and this kind of budget, you would indeed be looking at an X570 board.

It's hard to give a firm recommendation either way on the CPU as those games are quite hard to get performance info on. Obviously the 10900k will give better performance, it's just a question of whether it would be enough better to warrant the extra price and the modest performance hit to, say, 3D modelling. It's not like the 10900k should struggle with streaming either, given its 10 cores. Arma, Ark and Starcraft are fairly well known for being brutes when it comes to performance.

From what I can see, Arma III, while it might get higher fps on the 10900k, would still perform well on a 3900x. This isn't a very scientific benchmark for A vs B but what it does fundamentally show is someone playing Arma on a 3900x and getting decent enough performance.

GTAV, either's going to be fine, obviously the 10900k gives higher framerates including 1% lows, but the 3900x is more than capable of delivering good performance.

The others, no idea. I can't find decent benches of Ark post 2017 - the Ryzen CPUs didn't perform so well but that was 2 generations ago and the 3900x is a completely different beast to the 1700x. Plus the game's had almost 3 years of updates too.

So the 3900x seems like a valid choice. I can't really tell you how much or little you're losing out gaming performance wise, but the 3900x is probably fine and it is a bit cheaper.

As for the rest of the system, the Asus gear may carry brutal price premiums.

NB reviews for the Ruyjin cooler (1) (2). It also seems to rely on Asus AI suite for some of its functionality, which is notoriously buggy software (and indeed OC3D found a problem with it though you'd hope Asus maybe patched it by now...?)

I'd have looked at the Corsair H100i / H115i instead

Since you are getting a system with PCIe 4.0, I'd be looking at a Corsair MP600 over a Sata SSD like the 860 Evo

May 28, 2020
Visit site
Apparantly alot has been fixed with the ruyjin cooler i was skeptical at first as i saw the same issues you have but it seems to be on the up and fixed now hopefully ive swapped the ssd to the mp600 only sets the price up £20 so worth it i used to have the h100i but had so many issues with it i got a replacement and that was messed up too so kinda put off overall, thats my biggest upset at the moment debating weather to just continue with the new 10th gen or now honestly as i want the beat performance i can from the games but also for the rending side of things from vids i watch between to 2 processors it doesnt seem you looks much maybe 5-10fps at the most so decided to stick with the current build including the mp600 change ive also changes the memory from 4x8gb sticks to 2 16gb ones the company has included full extreme overclocking also for the price i have now sent this across to a few of the other companies now to get price comparisons i really do appreciate the help

May 28, 2020
Visit site
@Oussebon the thing is i want this to be as quiet as poss i have noticed also in reference to your links that the ruy can be very loud the case ive gone with is the tuf gt501 which ive seen is great for airflow aswell as noise supression so if i have to change the cooler i may have to

I don't think they have included full extreme overclocking as such, since extreme overclocking means things like manually pouring on liquid nitrogen(!).

A lot of companies say they offer overclocking, but in many cases the overclock is pretty timid, and in some cases with Ryzen CPUs can actually reduce performance in some cases. Moreover the conventional overclocking headroom for Ryzen CPUs is actually quite limited and it's often best to let the CPU's own boost algorithm just do its thing. The cooler it's kept, the higher it will boost (more or less).

As for quiet coolers, things like the Noctua NH-D15 are the go-to options. They also have Chromax (black) versions if the normal Noctua colour pallet isn't to your taste. They're also very effective air coolers, rivalling or beating many 240mm AIO coolers.

Inspireless Llama

Community Contributor
As for overclocking, I acutally looked at benchmarks today where they had an (okay it's Ryzen 3 2200g but to show) overclocked and non-overclocked one. The one that wasn't overclocked actually scored better in these benchmarks.

May 28, 2020
Visit site
As for overclocking, I acutally looked at benchmarks today where they had an (okay it's Ryzen 3 2200g but to show) overclocked and non-overclocked one. The one that wasn't overclocked actually scored better in these benchmarks.
Ive sent the quote above to a few companies and asked to include the price they can do it for aswell as a price with the i9 10th gen chip

May 28, 2020
Visit site
Its now £2912 as i have changed the 2nd hdd to a 1tb ssd for the games also have changed the cooler to the h115i as this is better from reviews ive seen

May 28, 2020
Visit site
@Oussebon this is the most updated quote £2918.16

500GB Corsair Force MP600 PCI-E 4.0 M.2 NVMe Solid State Drive

ASUS TUF GT501 Tempered Glass RGB PC Gaming Case

1000GB M.2 PCI-E NVMe Solid State Drive [Up to 3500MB/s Read | Up to 3000MB/s Write]

4 Year Standard Warranty (2 Month Collect/Returns, 1 Year Parts, 4 Year Labour)

Thermal Grizzly Hydronaut High Performance Thermal Paste - 3ml / 7.8g

32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4 3000MHz Memory - Black with RGB

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12 Core CPU with Wraith Prism RGB Cooler [GPU Required]

Corsair Hydro H115i PRO RGB Watercooler - 280mm

2m DVI-D Dual-Link Cable
Cable Management Service

I didn't have time yet to price up a few options on various stores, but PCS is one of the custom builders I'm more familiar with.

I'd probably up the warranty (at least the 12 month carriage costs £5 upgrade anyway), either drop the wifi card or go with the ~£20 AX200 card if they still offer that if you need wifi. RM850x PSU if they have it in stock.

Also you've got 3 SSDs plus an HDD. What's the plan for the storage, i.e. what are you storing on what drives? :)

May 28, 2020
Visit site
Im going to have one for OS one for my games and one for my rendering and modelling tools with the back up hdd for random storage of pictures/music etc i used to have the same setup with ssds previously so it worked really well, with the wifi card this is free with the system doesnt add cost but i use wired ethernet anyway

If you spec it in their configurators the wifi card is the default option and removing it saves £8 and removes a PCIe card from the system, while the AX200 card that is only ~£10 more gives the option of the 5GHz band and supports wifi 6 if you did need wifi. The N300 card is a little pointless.

That's a decent setup for the SSDs. What I'm not sure on is getting 2 PCIe 4.0 SSDs. The motherboard only has 2 M.2 slots which means you populate them both while PCIe 4.0 SSDs are still in their infancy. That makes adding a future, faster SSD / more SSD storage down the line less efficient and more wasteful.

Unless you have a particular need for a separate OS drive I'd be tempted to suggest going with a single PCIe 4.0 SSD instead of a 500gb one for OS and a 1TB one for games, eating up both M.2 slots.

TRENDING THREADS