What were the best/worst (* at release *) Early Access games you've played?

Based on reading the board frequently, I'm not sure if some of you really play EA games, but I thought I'd ask the question anyway.

My Worst: The Forest turned into one of the best survival games out there, but when it released into early access it was atrocious. Back then, though, people were far more forgiving of early access games. The fact that you couldn't do basic things like save your game or build half the stuff didn't really bother people that much. If it released in that state today, it would get absolutely slammed to the point that it might never recover. But the developers kept plugging away, releasing updates every other week. Some of those updates made the game unplayable, like the one that spawned hundreds of enemies all around you, but the next update would fix the last one and add some more broken stuff. Slowly but surely it became a great game.

My Best: Satisfactory launched in an almost completely bug-free state with tons of content. I think that I put at least 100 hours into it before they did their first update (they usually update twice a year or so).

Now that I'm looking back at my games I realize that I haven't played that many EA games at launch, lol, but those would be my two picks. How about you?

My vote is for Satisfactory as well. I've had a completely smooth experience since EA launch, and it's felt like a whole game the entire time which is pretty impressive.

It's also probably the only EA game I've bought into other than Mount & Blade: Warband so I'm probably not the best judge.

Reactions: ZedClampet and Alm
I've looked at and wish-listed several early access games over the years, but I'm always a bit hesitant to buy them if I don't know the developer. Are they actually going to complete it? Are all the features they've talked about really going to be implemented? How often does the developer update and bug fix the game? Those are some of the questions I always ask myself when looking at an early access game.

The only early access game that I've purchased was Baldur's Gate 3:
Because I know Larian and am positive they will produce and excellent RPG, even if it doesn't feel like a successor to BG1 & 2. I haven't actually tried it yet (though I'm anxious too), as I don't want to ruin that feeling of mystery & suspense when starting a new game.

Valheim seems like an excellent candidate for "best at release" for an early access game:
The reviews, at PCG and elsewhere, seem very positive, and the developer, Iron Gate AB, seem to be constantly improving and updating the game. It's high on my wish-list, but I've yet to try it.

There's a couple other early access games that have mostly positive reviews that I'm keeping an eye on:

Black Geyser: Couriers of Darkness
This looks like it could become an excellent isometric, party-based RPG, with the element of greed affecting how the game plays out.

Stellar Tactics, from Maverick Games:
Looks like an awesome blend of RPG & strategy with turn based combat and space exploration. EA release was back in 2016, so I'm wondering if the studio's goals are a bit higher than what they can achieve.

The Waylanders, from Gato Studio
It has a full release date set at 2/2/2022, but it still looks a bit rough to me. A party based RPG that is similar to the Dragon Age games.

Exoplanet: First Contact, from Alersteam
Visually, it reminds me of the early Gothic games from Piranha Bytes. Described as a "space western" it looks interesting, but has also been in EA since 2016.

So, anyway, that's not a true answer to your question @ZedClampet , it's just my current experience with early access games.

I've looked at and wish-listed several early access games over the years, but I'm always a bit hesitant to buy them if I don't know the developer. Are they actually going to complete it? Are all the features they've talked about really going to be implemented? How often does the developer update and bug fix the game? Those are some of the questions I always ask myself when looking at an early access game.

The only early access game that I've purchased was Baldur's Gate 3:
Because I know Larian and am positive they will produce and excellent RPG, even if it doesn't feel like a successor to BG1 & 2. I haven't actually tried it yet (though I'm anxious too), as I don't want to ruin that feeling of mystery & suspense when starting a new game.

Valheim seems like an excellent candidate for "best at release" for an early access game:
The reviews, at PCG and elsewhere, seem very positive, and the developer, Iron Gate AB, seem to be constantly improving and updating the game. It's high on my wish-list, but I've yet to try it.

There's a couple other early access games that have mostly positive reviews that I'm keeping an eye on:

Black Geyser: Couriers of Darkness
This looks like it could become an excellent isometric, party-based RPG, with the element of greed affecting how the game plays out.

Stellar Tactics, from Maverick Games:
Looks like an awesome blend of RPG & strategy with turn based combat and space exploration. EA release was back in 2016, so I'm wondering if the studio's goals are a bit higher than what they can achieve.

The Waylanders, from Gato Studio
It has a full release date set at 2/2/2022, but it still looks a bit rough to me. A party based RPG that is similar to the Dragon Age games.

Exoplanet: First Contact, from Alersteam
Visually, it reminds me of the early Gothic games from Piranha Bytes. Described as a "space western" it looks interesting, but has also been in EA since 2016.

So, anyway, that's not a true answer to your question @ZedClampet , it's just my current experience with early access games.

Valheim was truly wonderful at release. I sort of penalized it against Satisfactory because of the difference in scope between the two games. Subnautica was also very solid at first launch.

Talking about qualifications for buying EA games, I have stopped buying them if they have strong narratives that I'm really interested in. If narrative is one of the focuses, I just wait until the 1.0 launch. I just don't like trying to keep up with stories over long periods of time. Of course, I've been reading A Song of Ice and Fire for 25 years. I'll just blame it on that.

Of course, I've been reading A Song of Ice and Fire for 25 years. I'll just blame it on that.
Good luck keeping up with that book series. Every time a new book came out I would start from the 1st book and read until the end of the last one. And the last one, A Dance With Dragons, was published back in 2011. Ten years. I don't know what happened with GRRM, but I had hopes with the pandemic that he would complete the next book.

Reactions: ZedClampet

Zloth

Community Contributor
He's not putting out any more books. After his death, the publisher will hire someone to finish them.
That sure worked out well for Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time books. (..for the grave is no bar to my call!)
Yeah, if it gets to that point I hope Brandon Sanderson gets the call. What he did with the final 3 books of the Wheel of Time series was amazing. To be able to go in cold and decipher and weave all those plot lines and character personalities together is not something most authors could do, and he did it seamlessly.

TRENDING THREADS