Question What was your first PC and Console?

Zloth

Community Contributor
Apple ][+ for personal computer, I'm not sure what my first IBM clone's processor was. Console was some old thing that played Pong and "Doubles" where each player had two little walls that moved together (positioned like doubles in tennis).

Feb 13, 2023
Visit site
Apple ][+ for personal computer, I'm not sure what my first IBM clone's processor was. Console was some old thing that played Pong and "Doubles" where each player had two little walls that moved together (positioned like doubles in tennis).
wow, cool...have you got them till now?

Feb 13, 2023
Visit site
First 'console' I never had, but my first computer was a non-PC, so maybe it qualifies. It was a Spectravideo I got ~40 years ago, worked with cassette tapes and TV.

First PC was at work, don't recall type. First personal PC was a Wang 386 I got in 1990, good machine.

And no, I don't have them still :)
Wow, you had PC in 1990, I had my PC after 15 years :D

Aug 24, 2020
Visit site
First PC was a Pentium 75mhz. It had 8mb of ram, 500mb hard drive, Windows 3.11, DOS, 4x CD Rom, 3.5" floppy drive. How do I remember this so specifically? Shopping for video games and having to look at the requirements on the box !
It was an IBM Machine IIRC and my parents tell me it cost about 3000 bucks back then. I was a pretty lucky kid, I guess. Of course, it was for business and education purposes only, until I slowly started sneaking Duke Nukem 2, Command and Conquer, and even Doom, they realized they'd lost the battle. I think this would've been about 1993 or so.

First console Super Nintendo, which my brother and I saved our allowance of 2$ each per week for just over a year and bought the bundle that came with Mario World and the Voucher for Mario All Stars. Must've been 92 , I think.

First computer was the Commodore 64, followed by the one below, later.

First console was the Magnavox Odyssey, followed by the Intellivision later.

First PC was a Pentium 75mhz. It had 8mb of ram, 500mb hard drive, Windows 3.11, DOS, 4x CD Rom, 3.5" floppy drive.
My first x86-based PC was a Packard Bell with those same specs, only mine came with a free upgrade voucher for Windows 95 when it came out a couple of months later.

Feb 13, 2023
Visit site
First PC was a Pentium 75mhz. It had 8mb of ram, 500mb hard drive, Windows 3.11, DOS, 4x CD Rom, 3.5" floppy drive. How do I remember this so specifically? Shopping for video games and having to look at the requirements on the box !
It was an IBM Machine IIRC and my parents tell me it cost about 3000 bucks back then. I was a pretty lucky kid, I guess. Of course, it was for business and education purposes only, until I slowly started sneaking Duke Nukem 2, Command and Conquer, and even Doom, they realized they'd lost the battle. I think this would've been about 1993 or so.

First console Super Nintendo, which my brother and I saved our allowance of 2$ each per week for just over a year and bought the bundle that came with Mario World and the Voucher for Mario All Stars. Must've been 92 , I think.

Super Nintendo is worth for savings :)

Feb 13, 2023
Visit site
First computer was the Commodore 64, followed by the one below, later.

First console was the Magnavox Odyssey, followed by the Intellivision later.

My first x86-based PC was a Packard Bell with those same specs, only mine came with a free upgrade voucher for Windows 95 when it came out a couple of months later.

Very cool, but all of them were very expensive :(

Very cool, but all of them were very expensive :(
Not really. The Commodore 64 was only like $200. That's why the Guinness Book of World Records says it's the best selling single computer model of all time. They got it in everyone's homes by being able to sell some decent hardware (for the time) at a much, much lower cost than IBM or Apple computers. Plus, you could use your TV as a monitor, which was not common back then.

As for the Intellivision, I doubt if it was any more expensive than an Atari. I don't remember for sure. The Packard Bell was the only one out of my budget. My grandma actually helped me buy it because I was helping her edit all of her poetry into a book.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Can't remember what the first PC in our household was, but it was the early 90s and I was in grade school. I remember it ran Wolfenstein 3D.

First console was NES.

Same all around. My first PC i also cant remember, i just remember that it didnt have windows, everything was DOS and it had games, some ninja game i cant remember.

My first console too was an NES

Same all around. My first PC i also cant remember, i just remember that it didnt have windows, everything was DOS and it had games, some ninja game i cant remember.

My first console too was an NES
Do you remember having to make special DOS boot disks to configure your memory to run certain games. Remember when you had to worry about extended memory and stuff like that? We have it so easy these days.

Zloth

Community Contributor
Do you remember having to make special DOS boot disks to configure your memory to run certain games. Remember when you had to worry about extended memory and stuff like that? We have it so easy these days.
Oh yeah. You would have to have at least one disk that didn't have all those handy Terminate and Stay Ready (TSR) programs. You could save a whole 40K by leaving those out! ;)

Reactions: Brian Boru

TRENDING THREADS