what not to do

I know this is a system building area but there is no where else.

Why making your pc is a better idea most years:

Dell "gaming" PC. Yeah, right. Almost anything labelled gaming is just going to cost more, only some "gaming" parts actually give any better than normal parts. I have to say that as my monitor is labelled gaming and I assume 144 frames per second isn't standard. So I let them say that.

Nothing about this PC is gaming.

Or if you can't make your own, at least choose a company that lets you pick all the parts they have in catalogue, and research every part before purchase to make sure its either the best you can afford or doesn't come with hidden problems.

Steve actually recommends Cyberpower over Dell, and they aren't much better. Cyberpower PSU are best avoided if you buy from them.

spvtnik1

Community Contributor
Jan 13, 2020
Visit site
Steve was also sure to say that "there is absolutely nothing wrong with buying a pre-built." ;)

You just have to pay attention to what you're paying for. And comes to terms with what you're expecting for your money.

Most of us veteran PC builders will agree that assembling your own PC is the most fun you can have with the hardware before the thing is booted up and running. Buuuut I think that's where the distinction ends. Some people really do just want to skip to the booting up part. In a case like buying your child's first personal computer, a basic pre-built (probably more like a $600-$800 model) like this could be just fine, as the use case will likely outlast the upgrade path.

And I have an entirely different perspective on Dell. Suppose I'm say, an esports program at a school, and I need 100 computers that can play a certain game or two, or handle light 3D applications. Well, most school boards already have deals with Dell, anyway. But it could be HP or even a company like Corsair or MSI. The target market is not always the individual end user.

Reactions: Blackshark21

TRENDING THREADS