What is your favorite shooter SP campaign?

Page 2 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
Hands down and hands up, Metro Exodus! Amazing story, good characters, looks insane and you feel like you REALLY need to pay attention to not get shredded by the nearest pack of ghouls. Just a kick-ass game that also got good replayability.
I think Metro Exodus is one of the best atmospheric shooters ever; it is a really immersive game. Also, it's one of my favorite games ever in terms of graphics. I'm gonna be doing another playthrough since I haven't gotten a chance since the Enhanced Edition released.

I think I would give it to Saints Row, particularly SR 3.

I love that game and had completely forgotten about it. I loved grabbing a tank and heading around town, getting the highest level "wanted" category (or whatever that game called it) and watching all the mayhem.

I'll never forget the intro to SR4, either. Was playing with my son who was a lot younger then, and we're watching the cutscene play out with the president and the aliens. It's pure madness. And the president leaps on a rocket that is blasting off, holding onto the side of it, and everything was just so crazy over-the-top, my son suddenly said, 'merica! and cracked me up.

I think my favorites of all time were probably Medal of Honor: Allied Assault, Duke Nukem 3D, and Return to Castle Wolfenstein, probably in that order.

But today, it probably has to be Halo Infinite. I was always a huge fan of Combat Evolved, which probably should be in the list above. I never thought any Halo game would beat it. But I'm really loving Infinite a lot. Not only the single player gameplay, but even the story.

I typically never lay claim to just one game as being best, regardless of genre.

Over the years though I have grown attached to some that I either played to death, made extensive video walkthroughs of, or both.

I'll start with a few of the more obscure titles that are often overlooked.

Spec Ops The Line

This is a shooter with a very unique and well written story where the protagonist is stuck in a state of cognitive dissonance. Not only is the story and voicing very well done, as you can feel both building to the state of mental breakdown, it also has very deeply touching emotional scenes. Beyond that the gameplay demands you work well with your squad, and choose weapons wisely, as they carry over into the next level. It's a game that is very challenging and demands full attention on the hardest difficulty mode, yet if you position yourself well, and work well with your teammates to take out normal enemies and suppress heavies, they are MUCH less likely to require reviving.

Kane & Lynch 2 Dog Days

Like Spec Ops The Line, this is another shooter with very visceral combat, and the need for teamwork, but in this case, you have just one to work with. This is another game where how you position yourself, the pace you go, and knowing when to move forward are key to success. This game is definitely more over the top than Spec Ops The Line, but it has some epic battles where you fight a good variety of enemies using a range of weapons.

Stranglehold

Produced by John Woo, this is a sequel to his movie Hard Boiled. It's protagonist is "Tequila" whom has the likeness and voice of Chow Yun-fat, and uses a bullet time mechanic called Tequila Time. This is a very arcade game where you can dive, slide down stair railings, belly slide on tables or rolling carts, or swing from chandeliers to shoot enemies. There are also many interactive objects you can shoot to take out enemies, like signs above that fall on them. Tequila also regularly faces more than one foe in a standoff, where they are standing pointing a pistol at each other. When the action begins you must shoot and dodge while standing to survive. Tequila also has a spin attack you can use where he spins 360 taking out multiple foes. In this game you are rated by a star system that rewards more points for spectacular kills.

Honorable Mentions

Terminator Resistance

Not necessarily a blockbuster title, but the best homage to the movie ever put to game.

Now for the ones that most know pretty well.

Black Mesa

A masterfully remastered version of original Half Life using the Source Engine. What's not to love?

Resident Evil 4 HD Project

The incredible RE 4, but with significantly improved textures throughout the game.

RealRTCW

The original RTCW with new renderer, HD textures, and adapted to 64 bit. This is THE best way to go back and play one of the best classic shooters of all time. It's such a popular mod you can get it on Steam.

The Entire Gears of War Series

I've played every one you can on PC, and had a blast with each one. I guess I could have put this in the bittersweet category since the epic original cannot be played on PC anymore due to the long since defunct Games for Windows Live service it was built around making it crash. I mean they couldn't even get the GoW Ultimate Edition PC version to work right. But despite that and my loathing for the way they designed The Great Escape mission of GoW 4 (which has still kept me from beating it on Inconceivable), I avoided putting it in the Bittersweet category due to having thoroughly enjoyed Gears 5, and am actually looking forward to what's next in GoW because of it.

Machine Games Wolfenstein Series

I've simply loved every one of them, including the spinoff Youngblood. A very good homage to the originals, with a new take in more modern times, and a well crafted story that's emotionally written and voiced, with some good humor thrown in. Where it really shines though is the incredible gameplay, great weapons, and stunning graphics.

Entire Halo Series, and especially Halo Infinite

I finally got around recently to playing all of the Halo games that can be played on PC, beat them on Legendary, and loved Infinite so much I made a complete video walkthrough of it on Legendary with no upgrades. All are great games, but Infinite makes me anxious for what's to come. The Grappleshot really changes things from combat, to pickups, to navigation. If you choose to completely upgrade it, you can do devastating shock punches with it that makes you look like a superhero.

And now some that are rather bittersweet.

Ghost Recon Wildlands

An excellent game, and IMO best GR ever made. Another game I loved so much I made a complete video walkthrough of on Extreme with no HUD or upgrades. The bittersweet thing is Ubi have gone crazy since and turned Ghost Recon into a Sci Fi fantasy tiered loot game ala The Division, except the location it's in is fictitious too.

Doom 2016 and especially Doom Eternal

These to me are easily the best Doom games ever made, especially Eternal, which has a hugely broader scope than any other Doom game made. The Meathook also makes it feel completely different and very fun, as well as a dream to navigate terrain with, and even bypass tough enemies if you choose. The bittersweet thing is their decision to instead of take a few years and make a decent length 3rd installment, making it an official and deserved trilogy, they chose to rush out two short DLCs. The Ancient Gods Part 1 and 2 are also not progressive in nature. Instead you're given all weapon mods and skill upgrades at the start, and the gameplay is mostly non stop waves of enemies.

And I'll finish on a positive note.

Biggest Surprise

Titanfall 2

I never thought Titanfall would get an SP campaign, let alone one so good and so long. Respawn are one of EA's best dev teams, and IMO they are damn lucky to even have them.

Last edited:
Stranglehold

Produced by John Woo, this is a sequel to his movie Hard Boiled. It's protagonist is "Tequila" whom has the likeness and voice of Chow yun-fat, and uses a bullet time mechanic called Tequila Time. This is a very arcade game where you can dive, slide down stair railings, belly slide on tables or rolling carts, or swing from chandeliers to shoot enemies. There are also many interactive objects you can shoot to take out enemies, like signs above that fall on them. Tequila also regularly faces more than one foe in a standoff, where they are standing pointing a pistol at each other. When the action begins you must shoot and dodge while standing to survive. Tequila also has a spin attack you can use where he spins 360 taking out multiple foes. In this game you are rated by a star system that rewards more points for spectacular kills.

I had forgotten about Stranglehold. I remember reading about it in a game magazine and then borrowing the game from a friend of mine a while later. I think they did a pretty good job at making you feel like you're in an over the top action movie. The white doves that appeared out of nowhere, I think when you did the spin attack you mentioned, were a great touch. I never finished the game though, I got stuck at some point and just gave up after dying a bunch of times in a row.

Reactions: Brian Boru
I had forgotten about Stranglehold. I remember reading about it in a game magazine and then borrowing the game from a friend of mine a while later. I think they did a pretty good job at making you feel like you're in an over the top action movie. The white doves that appeared out of nowhere, I think when you did the spin attack you mentioned, were a great touch. I never finished the game though, I got stuck at some point and just gave up after dying a bunch of times in a row.
Yeah I don't normally like over the top arcade modes some games offer as a different way of playing them, but this one does it pretty well. The main thing that upsets me about a lot of game's arcade modes is they usually at least partially rate you on time of completion for each level, vs just how many spectacular trick shots you do like this one does.

Sounds like maybe one of the boss fights you got stuck on?

Yeah I don't normally like over the top arcade modes some games offer as a different way of playing them, but this one does it pretty well. The main thing that upsets me about a lot of game's arcade modes is they usually at least partially rate you on time of completion for each level, vs just how many spectacular trick shots you do like this one does.

Sounds like maybe one of the boss fights you got stuck on?

I don't like being rated at all for how I'm doing. I think it's a large part of what made me quit Bulletstorm. I liked doing all the crazy stuff, but it sucked having the game tell me I needed to play in a particular way.

I don't remember what I got stuck on in Stranglehold, it's been years. I just remember I saved right before going up a staircase.

Reactions: Brian Boru
I don't like being rated at all for how I'm doing. I think it's a large part of what made me quit Bulletstorm. I liked doing all the crazy stuff, but it sucked having the game tell me I needed to play in a particular way.

I don't remember what I got stuck on in Stranglehold, it's been years. I just remember I saved right before going up a staircase.
I actually enjoyed Bulletstorm. Yeah it kept a rather arcade tally of headshots and other types of kills, but I never felt like I was forced time wise, and I don't recall it ever grading you on your score at the end of a level. It was there more for letting you know what was the fastest track toward upgrading your gear if I recall.

I only ever made two videos of Bulletstorm. One is during that heavy storm, the other was the rather tough courtyard fight in Act 7 that had tons of bosses.

This one is only in 360p, and I don't recall why. It's best left for small viewer size.

This one is 720p , good for YT's mid viewer size.

Man, you could do some crazy stuff in that game. So fun to experiment with.

TRENDING THREADS