Question What games rekindled your love of PC gaming?

Jun 23, 2020
Visit site
I went through a period of 2-3 years in my late teens / early twenties in which I basically lost interest in PC gaming after having been an AVID PC gamer from the age of 22!

Until, in the early YouTube gaming days, I came across TotalBiscuit and decided to try a few of the games he had covered in his "WTF is" series. Those games were Limbo, Bastion and Tiny Bang Story, No-brainer Heroes . They were all games that would run on my outdated hardware, they were cheap and they were a refreshing break from all the Triple A games I had been playing on console.

I loved that these games were almost like the boiled down essence of what a game needed to be, instead of a big-budget affair that was flashy, but maybe a bit shallow. There was so much charm in these four very different games and they re-opened my eyes to the huge variety of games that were out there on PC from indie devs. That was me firmly hooked again!

I'd love to hear some of the games that got you back in to PC gaming!

I never lost my love of PC Gaming, even when XBOX and XBOX360 were at their prime, and PC gaming was in a spiral downwards. I remember when Crysis came out, I was playing the best looking FPS and everyone else was playing Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare on their XBOX 360.

System Shock, still my favorite. 1994 feels super far away, but my goodness was that game ahead of its time.

Jan 14, 2020
Visit site
I was pretty much done with PC gaming after growing up entirely dedicated to it. But during grad school, I needed access to a dedicated Unix PC and so I went over to Mac as I didn't care for Linux. For gaming, I moved over to PS3 and Xbox 360. It was fine.

My sons, however, fell in love with the freedom of PC gaming mods. I didn't really get it until they showed me some of the stuff in Skyrim that they could do that I couldn't on consoles. I saw the light and returned to the PC gaming fold. I still game on PS for exclusives, but that's it.

May 29, 2020
Visit site
I became jaded with gaming in general for a while. Then I started playing Dark Souls on PC. Fast forward, and now having completed all of the Souls games, I am now working through Sekiro, Hollow Knight, and looking to play more similar games in the near future (Elden Ring???).

Reactions: SquireZed
Jan 13, 2020
Visit site
NBA 2K12 - OK I know, but just hear me out here:

I was a "PC" gamer on the Mac in the '90s and early 2000s, and loved it, but eventually I tired of the struggle of trying to game on that platform and went full console. In 2008 I got my first iMac with an Intel CPU (they used to use an IBM chip that couldn't boot Windows), but it wasn't until 3 years later that my buddy convinced me to try out Steam. Always a sports game enthusiast, Madden wasn't available, so I went with NBA and...

I was absolutely floored. With the onboard GeForce 8800GS (512MB), I was able to play with maxed out graphics at full 1080P, 60FPS, blowing away my XBox 360 and PS3. I never looked back. 6 months later I bought a gaming PC and left consoles in the dust.

Mar 4, 2020
Visit site
I never really stopped playing PC games after I started, but I will say that there was a period of time where I did it more as a time killer or a social thing with friends. The game that really re-awakened my love for playing games was Dark Souls. A friend suggested I try it, and I sunk about 20 really frustrating hours into it. I came back a couple months later and when I played it again I rekindled my love for gaming, not just hanging out with friends. The satisfaction of the mechanical precision demanded by enemies and bosses, the looming world building, and the atmosphere pulled me back into gaming in a way I hadn't played since I was in high school. It was great, and I still remember grinning ear to ear after vanquishing an invader or destroying a boss fight. I was having incredible fun in a game, not just playing to kill time or hang out with friends, and it was fantastic. It even changed how I thought about playing games and engaging with mechanics and systems. I enjoy games a lot more, even now, seven years after my epiphany. Sure, I sometimes slip into the monotonous grind of an MMORPG or just hang out and chill, but when I truly engage with a difficult boss fight or master a maneuver after dozens of attempts I still remember how glad I was to finally have Dark Souls click for me.

Jun 15, 2020
Visit site
The game that brought back into (PC) gaming was Thief: the dark project. At that time I was basically not playing any more. It seemed like there was nothing new or interesting to play so I slowly lost interest. Specially first person shooters! man, I was sick and tired of FPS in 1998! Even Half Life had no impact on me. But then Thief came along and showed me it was a good idea to stick around. Games had the potential to be amazing and original experiences.
I still play games just chasing that rush. And sometimes I get it. Once a year there will be one game at least to blow my mind.

May 21, 2020
Visit site
I love me some fallout. To me fallout is not really fallout without mods. Plus I have grown irritated with consoles for various reason. The first pc game I played as a kid was doom share ware version. I can play the first episode with my eyes closed lol

Sarafan

Community Contributor
It was always PC for me. I mean I had two consoles before I greeted PC in my house, but never left this platform after that. It's hard for me to point exact games which ignited my love to this platform, because in the first few years I tried dozens of games from different genres (mainly through demo versions). One is for sure - I love PC gaming for its backward compatibility. With the appropriate tools you can launch every title from the last 30 years or so. There's no other platform, which can offer such a thing!

TRENDING THREADS