Question What games have you tried to get into, but just can’t?

What are some games that you’ve tried to get into but just can’t for some reason? No matter how many times you give these games a chance, it just never fully clicks with you and you lose interest.

For me, a big one would be the Persona series. I really like the visual aesthetics and the main plot of the series seems really cool. However I cannot stand the gameplay, turn based games bore me :sleep:

What are your picks?

The original starcraft. admittedly i was late to the game and the slightly clunky speed, the units weren't conventional and its limitations and rubbed me the wrong way. That said the strange thing is that i LOVED starcraft 2 and had a lot of fun with it.

The swat series or the old rainbow six series when it was about planning and taking out baddies. The game was far too difficult and was far too annoying. i was supposed to be an elite CT unit and i didn't play like it. Rainbow six vegas with chest high wall strategic cover was more up my alley.

Speaking of tom clancy, The ghost recon series. not going to lie the original GR? fine i got into it and somehow completed it. Advanced warfighter on the pc however was terrible on the PC. If it had been the xbox360 version it would have been much better. The PC version wasn't great - the AI was terrible and the strategic elements were severally lacking. To top it off the game did my eyes in. I spend hours with the nightvision on and when i stopped playing my vision was messed up (i believe if you stare at a certain color for a constant period of time your eye gets tired staring at that color and struggles to process it so in my case stuff was more red for a while).

Company of heroes. i don't understand it, everything should be a recipe for something i like but the games mechanics don't seem to gel well for me. The cover system, the intimate management of units, but alas it doesn't. i think it was the dodgy cover system and the unit caps rub me the wrong way. The whole game felt slow to play or restrictive.

Another game was age of empires 2. i was fresh from RTS games and inexperienced and really struggled to play it. That said, i bought the definitive edition and i've got a few RTS games under my belt including Age of empires 3 and mythology. Plus i've been watching T90's age of empires youtube videos. so when the time comes, my body will be ready....

Another game was age of empires 2. i was fresh from RTS games and inexperienced and really struggled to play it. That said, i bought the definitive edition and i've got a few RTS games under my belt including Age of empires 3 and mythology. Plus i've been watching T90's age of empires youtube videos. so when the time comes, my body will be ready....

I really enjoyed AoE III and IV more than II, even the definitive edition. III and IV felt more casual to me and easier to play. Age of Mythology is great too. I’m not huge into RTS games unless they are fairly easy and don’t require too much micromanaging. AOE IV with its historical documentary style videos held my attention more than any other RTS game I’ve played.

All MMOs. I wanted to like WoW so much when it came out but more negatives than positives for me

I really enjoyed Elder Scrolls Online but i have a bias since I’m a huge TES fan. There are some pretty common MMO tropes such as mashing your abilities over and over but I enjoyed it for it’s story, the characters, the world and the fact I can play it fully and enjoy it fully all by myself without pressure to join some massive guild.

This thread could lead to some interesting debates:)

Personally I dislike any game that tries to force me to play it in a certain way. So that can be where it isn't open world and I have to travel through a limited area and face the foe they want me to.

It happens in some games from the start like God of War(although I believe this opens up), or Deux Ex, or Shadow of the Tomb Raider.

Or they try to force me to do a mission with 'an idiot', which is why I'm enjoying Days Gone but can't play past a certain mission. I stopped playing because of that but I am giving it another try just as open world.

Also I dislike particularly American style gung ho war games, I give them a try but just find them boring; Battlefield games, Ghost Recon, The Division 2, Sniper Ghost Warrior. Just seem like over patriotic macho nonsense.

I couldn't even get into Assassins Creed!

Any MMO. I just don't like the idea of standing in a queue to get a quest to retrieve 10 wolf furs. The guys in front me just delivered theirs. I don't see the need.

Competetive online games is another type of game I am having a hard time with. I do play some coop games like Stardew Valley and Terraria with the kids, and I do enjoy some versus play in sports games.

I've already explained in similar threads before, so just a list for now of games/series I've tried at least twice:

♠ Bioshock series—too dreary, too enclosed.
♣ Crysis 2 & 3—dropped the mostly open world of 1 and Warhead, beautiful but shallow.
♦ Civilization 5—Adore 4, like 6, but 5 nerfed building a wide empire.
♥ Far Cry 2—It's a secret around here, but I really like the FC series… so Shh, not a word. However, FC2 is the big disappointment—frustrating and annoying.
♠ Roman Adventures Britons 1 + 2—should've worked for me as the successors to the excellent Adelantado trilogy, but not as appealing.

I have mentioned this before in other posts , i am not anti anything but their comes a point where i say enough is enough. Over use of the F word from anyone unless ofc its billy connelly.

I tried VERY hard to get into GTAV but i ended up uninstalling it , i like quests so quests using cars was a different direction for me.

I turned of the music because i just dont like that sort of music , BUT the biggest turn off for me was the F word , i think it actually spoilt the game ,

That’s part of the plan :ROFLMAO:

And what do you mean by Deus Ex forcing you to play a certain way? Yes the story itself may be linear but the way you approach missions is entirely up to how you want to play the game.
Yes I think it's that linear approach(I also bought the whole series but cheap). I think I like the Skyrim type of open world game which then translates to; GTAV, WD's series, HZD, Days Gone, even Shadow of War.

Where you can just do what you want, choose a mission by coming across a certain location, or even just ignore the missions. It may be I don't like hoop jumping, all personal choice.

I do keep thinking I should give some games another go, I will try God of War again, maybe Assassins Creed(although I wonder if SofW is a good substitute), and maybe Deux Ex.

I have mentioned this before in other posts , i am not anti anything but their comes a point where i say enough is enough. Over use of the F word from anyone unless ofc its billy connelly.

I tried VERY hard to get into GTAV but i ended up uninstalling it , i like quests so quests using cars was a different direction for me.

I turned of the music because i just dont like that sort of music , BUT the biggest turn off for me was the F word , i think it actually spoilt the game ,
You have to approach GTAV as satire and see the humour. I was put off by the hype originally, (I don't listen to in-game music anyway), but found I really enjoyed it. I find it funny when NPC's swear at me for driving like a lunatic. Or Trevor wakes up at the bottom of a swimming pool in a tutu.

The missions in that game are really good in that you have choices in the set up. But it's the cars and the driving experience in an open world that really make it great. Plus the sheer anarchy and chaos of police chases, it's more wild west than RD2.

Control: I'm not sure why, but I was having a lot of issues with surviving basic enemies. It got a little better once I got the telekinesis upgrade, but only by popping in and out of cover to throw something. I also didn't like the little platforming levels in between. It's a shame, because I did really like the lore.

Bioshock: I thought it might be fun to try to give myself a challenge by playing the game on a higher difficulty setting for my first playthrough, but it ended up just making it a slog to get through. I only finished the first act.

I've also never been able to really get into most MMOs, despite trying a lot of them. It's mostly because I don't care about the social aspect and the gameplay is always so much worse than comparable single-player games.
I've also bounced off of a lot of JRPGs. The combat system gets old really fast for me and the stories are never good enough to carry the game.

I think ive explained what ive tried to get into before somewhere too, so ill just post a list like @Brian Boru :

Divinity Original Sin 1 and 2(pretty much any turn-based strategy game). I really do try to get into these games, they look fantastic but would rather much play them as an ARPG or even real time. The stopping, planning and going i just find boring for my tastes.
Total War: Warhammer 40k (pretty much games like this)
Civilization games, Crusader Kings games etc.

So i guess i could just say grand strategy games. Not because i dont think i cant outsmart AI, i loved playing old sierra game Civil War Generals (tbs game but with actually movie cutscenes for battles!). So i do give them a shot, at least if i get them on sale or thru a bundle purchase. I just never stay with them and get too bored.

Speaking of tom clancy, The ghost recon series. not going to lie the original GR? fine i got into it and somehow completed it. Advanced warfighter on the pc however was terrible on the PC. If it had been the xbox360 version it would have been much better. The PC version wasn't great - the AI was terrible and the strategic elements were severally lacking. To top it off the game did my eyes in. I spend hours with the nightvision on and when i stopped playing my vision was messed up (i believe if you stare at a certain color for a constant period of time your eye gets tired staring at that color and struggles to process it so in my case stuff was more red for a while).

Having played GR and GR: Island Thunder semi-professionally thru gamebattles and MLG at that time on xbox i can absolutely vouch wit this part about the nightvision. Some boards we would spend most matches in night-vision to know instantly where someone was the way it was set up then. My eyes never got harmed, i dont think, but i was a young teen at the time so that couldve helped lol

I think it is worth going back to some games again.

I like many things about Days Gone but just couldn't see the point of zombies so stopped. But after getting used to mass hacking and fighting rolls, etc in SofW and HZD, I seem to be much better with zombie attacks.
Also I've been watching some useful YT vids and trying some devices I hadn't before and I'm trying some new tactics for those dam hoardes.

The part I didn't like was being sent to mine with Iron Mike's idiot son(main mission). Deacon says to him don't use that gun down here......and of course he does and it forces me into a zombie attack.

Sounds weird but board games! I'm dyslexic and generally speaking if theres a board or card game thing with friends I just don't want to go - it takes me too long to learn rules, I can't do maths so a lot of card games are out and I just get too overwhelmed.

Trivia nights however are another matter ¬¬

As someone who loves board games, this made me suppress a violent urge to suggest board games that you might enjoy.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
- I like the idea of WoW and it seems like there’s a lot of fun stuff to do, but I just can’t justify paying $150 a year for something that requires a lot of time to get stuff done

- MultiVersus seemed like such a cool idea but I could never convince myself to play it, mostly due to server issues and general mediocrity

Sounds weird but board games! I'm dyslexic and generally speaking if theres a board or card game thing with friends I just don't want to go - it takes me too long to learn rules, I can't do maths so a lot of card games are out and I just get too overwhelmed.

Trivia nights however are another matter ¬¬

yeah unfamilar board games is a thorny issue. You don't know the rules and someone can throw in some random rule and you don't know if its legit or not. Sometimes they're open to interpretation and it becomes even more nasty. Hell some games we just made our own rules to speed things along. Its probably where tutorials during the start of a game are actually useful, sod reading the manual, just dive in and you'll learn the game as you go along and give you a fair base to play from.

Speaking of tutorials. Xcom apocalypse I bought that after xcom2 being an avid fan of xcom and retro games, but i found the game too archaic mechanically and learning the clunky mechanics wasn't great. Units with no cover, inaccurate soldiers, trying to use elevators was too confusing etc etc. Oh and even the manual recommends NOT to use the first game you play as the main game.

Jagged Alliance 2 fell in a similar situation. Far too complicated and the fatigue system got me. i had hoped for a bit of hand holding like soldiers being able to rest somewhere or something. Didn't help that the game looked and played poorly by todays standards. if it had been like Fallout tactics i would have probably been ok, but it wasn't.

What are some games that you’ve tried to get into but just can’t for some reason?

The Witcher 2: I loved both Witcher 1 and 3, but for some undefinable reason, I just couldn't get into Witcher 2, it just didn't click with me (and I've tried several times). Interesting Extra Life article in the May 2023 issue of PCG (US edition) by Ted Litchfield describing his dislike of Witcher 2 in comparison to the other two games, which mirrored some of my feelings about the game.

Divinity 2 - The Dragon Knight Saga: I was actually enjoying this game until the point where your character transforms into a dragon and has to fight in platform-style battles. I hated that part and it completely took me out of the game experience. i know some others don't feel that way, but it just wasn't for me.

TRENDING THREADS