What games have you bought multiple times?

@Pifanjr asked this in another thread, but I figured it deserved its own thread, especially if any of you are as careless as I am—losing track of what I already have! :rolleyes:

Okay, I was expecting 20-30, not over 100, so likely explanations:
Epic weekly freebie of a title I already had;
Many old titles bought again on sale at GOG cos old version wouldn't work on Windows 7 or 10;
Probably some false ones for Ubisoft bought on Steam or Epic—ie bought once, but Ubi shows a separate copy in Galaxy;
Duplicates bought cos of bundles in Steam, Humble or Fanatical.
There, I don't feel so stupid now!

So let's see what my GOG Galaxy shows:
1954 Alcatraz
A New Beginning: Final Cut
Agent A: A puzzle in disguise
Alan Wake
Alan Wakes American Nightmare
Anachronox
Anno 1602
Assassin's Creed Origins
Assassin's Creed® Odyssey
Assassins Creed Syndicate
Bastion
Batman: Arkham City - Game of the Year Edition
Batman™ Arkham Asylum Game of the Year Edition
Ben There, Dan That!
Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain
Borderlands 2
Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel
Commandos 2: Men of Courage
Commandos 3: Destination Berlin
Commandos: Beyond the Call of Duty
Conflict: Desert Storm
Costume Quest
Crusader: No Remorse™
Crying Suns
Crysis
Crysis Warhead
Crysis Wars
Delores: A Thimbleweed Park Mini-Adventure
Deponia
Deponia: The Complete Journey
Deus Ex: Invisible War
Deus Ex™ GOTY Edition
Divine Divinity
Europa Universalis III
F.E.A.R.
F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin
Faeria
Firewatch
Frozen Synapse
FTL: Advanced Edition
Galactic Civilizations II: Ultimate Edition
Galactic Civilizations III
Goetia
Gone Home
Hostile Waters: Antaeus Rising
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
Invisible Inc.
Jack Orlando: Director's Cut
Kathy Rain
Legacy of Kain: Defiance
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 2
Life is Strange
Loom
Memoria
Metro Last Light Redux
Neighbours from Hell
Neighbours From Hell 2
Omikron: The Nomad Soul
Orwell
Oxenfree
Panzer Corps
Papers, Please
Rebel Galaxy
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl
Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun x3
Sherlock Holmes Crimes and Punishments
Sid Meier's Civilization VI
Sid Meier's Civilization® III Complete
SIMULACRA
Sniper Elite
Sniper: Ghost Warrior 3
Sokobond
SOMA
Startopia
Steep
Still Life 2
Stories Untold
Sunless Sea
SunrYesterday Originsider: Mask of Arcadius
Surviving Mars
Sword of the Stars Complete Collection
Syberia 2
Tacoma x3
The Cat Lady
The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav
The Dig
The Night of the Rabbit
The Stanley Parable
The Swapper
The Talos Principle x3
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
Theme Hospital
Thief Gold
Thief: Deadly Shadows
Thief™ 2: The Metal Age
Ticket To Ride
Time Gentlemen, Please!
Tomb Raider
Tomb Raider 2
Tomb Raider 3
Tomb Raider Chronicles
Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation
Transistor
Tropico 4
Virginia

I bought Forza Horizon 4 again when it came on steam. I'm kind of weird about it but I really just want games to be consolidated on to one platform as much as possible. I find that my games on other platforms - such as Epic - essentially don't get played because I just never open the application. I don't even have some hatred for epic like many do, I just have a preference and I stick to it. I've been considering whether I want to buy Borderlands 3 again on steam. It has been sitting in my Epic library since launch I have played it maybe twice in total.

All of the games I've bought twice are because they are classics and the discs are lost, scratched or in some obscure corner of a box somewhere in storage in another country. Also that they were then on sale for pennies.

Until fairly recently I bought everything on Steam, because I like being able to see my list in one place. Since GOG Galaxy 2.0 came out I've branched out a bit. But even when Epic is giving something away I wont download it if I already own it, it just doesn't occur to me.

Sorry @Brian Boru I cant even get close to your list !

My list:

The Settlers 2 Gold
Homeworld 1+2
Homeworld Emergence (Cataclysm)
Half Life
Half Life 2 (Because I bought the orange box)
Dead Space
Dead Space 2
Bioshock
Bioshock 2
Skyrim
Baldurs Gate
Baldurs Gate 2
Doom 2
Doom 3
Final Fantasy 7
F.E.A.R
Planescape Torment
Dragon Age: Origins
Deus Ex Human Revolution
Dark Souls
The Witcher

Looking back, surprisingly few. Then again, I've mostly purchased my games from Steam for the last decade which makes knowing if I already own a game or not a lot easier in the first place. In fact the vast majority of games that I own more than one copy of is because I had a physical copy first, and wanted a digital one since it reduces clutter around the house.

I've sort of lost count as to additional copies of games i got from bundle says, epic/gog/steam giveaways. But thats kinda cheating as they were part of something else. The only game i kinda i purchased twice was Age of empires 2 (definitive edition). Not sure why, i didn't have much fun with it the first time, but i believe it was the QoL improvements that sold it. Also being a few years of strategy games, i've hardened a bit so i should be better and enjoy the game more. Hopefully.

Zloth

Community Contributor
I got Final Fantasy 7 when it came out on PC, then got it used for Playstation later, then bought it off Steam because the PC physical copy is long gone. There might be a few more where I bought a game that I lost, like Sacrifice.

The duplicates I have between Steam and GOG are there because GOG lets you have copies of games you have on Steam.

I think if I had as many dupes as @Brian Boru , over half my Steam games would be duplicated. I don't even have 200 games yet!

I find that my games on other platforms - such as Epic - essentially don't get played because I just never open the application
Get one of these:

GOG Galaxy

They present your games from 5 different vendors in one interface:
Steam
GOG
Epic
EA
Ubisoft

I've been using Galaxy for a couple of years, works well. Playnite has more options if you want to delve deeper.

the vast majority of games that I own more than one copy of is because I had a physical copy first, and wanted a digital one since it reduces clutter around the house
Same here—I didn't include plenty of games where I have/had old disks for in my list!

Unlike many, I have an aversion to physical copies of entertainment I can get digitally—games, books, music, TV & movies. Just don't need hunting for, lending and never getting back, scratched media, all that space required, etc.

Jan 19, 2020
Visit site
Same here—I didn't include plenty of games where I have/had old disks for in my list!

Unlike many, I have an aversion to physical copies of entertainment I can get digitally—games, books, music, TV & movies. Just don't need hunting for, lending and never getting back, scratched media, all that space required, etc.
I also have an aversion to physical copies and recently threw away a ton of old floppies and CDs. I don't have a disk drive anymore so what is the point? We have one external Blu-Ray USB drive, but that is my daughter's so she can listen to and rip CDs that aren't on Spotify so I have an out if necessary.

Besides I think a lot of people might forget how flaky physical media could get over time. Disk quality and reliability fades. I doubt most of those disks would work reliably. Nothing sucked worse than getting to disk 4 of 6 in an install and having it be corrupted. Ugh.

I did keep some physical copies for games I really love and have a nostalgic attachment like The Guild Wars 1 series and such. The Windows 3.11 for Workgroups 3.5" floppies hit the bin though.

Sarafan

Community Contributor
If we count boxed games which I bought later in digital version, then the list will be long. I'll focus on the most notable examples:

Heroes of Might & Magic 3 - 3 copies bought,
Baldur's Gate 2 - 3 copies if we count Enhanced Edition,
Planescape Torment - 3 copies with Enhanced Edition,
Neverwinter Nights - 3 copies with Enhanced Edition.

old floppies and CDs. I don't have a disk drive anymore
Fyi you can get USB floppy drives quite cheaply—I got one 2-3 years ago to process some old photos sitting on floppies—all the 3.5" beauties worked!

Windows 3.11 for Workgroups 3.5" floppies hit the bin
All 13 of 'em? Those could be collectors' items…

Like many gamers here, when I buy a game for the 2nd time, It's to replace an older boxed dvd/cd/floppy disc version of the game. It's just so much easier to install the game from a digital copy than drag out the boxed version to try to install it. Plus, patches (if any) are auto-installed, and in some cases (Gothic 3 for example), a community bug fix/content patch is also available for download. And in the case of really old games that are on 2 1/2" floppy discs (some of which required a boot disc to run), they probably wouldn't install anyway (are there even any floppy drives anymore?). I find GOG especially good for the really old games.

All my digital purchases are either on Steam or GOG, as I just recently, finally, repurchased the last of my Bioware games on Steam that were originally on Origin. I don't have anything against the Origin storefront, but they don't really have anything that I play, outside of Bioware games. And I won't use the Epic store, not even for free games, I just don't like their whole exclusive marketing mindset (that's just my personal opinion).

Anyway, this is a combined Steam/GOG list of repurchased games:

Might & Magic 1 thru 9
Hexen & Heretic
Wizardry 8
Ultima 1 & 2
Alpha Protocol
Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 (Enhanced Editions)
Beyond Divinity
Deus Ex GOY (also Deus Revision)
Divinity 2 Directors Cut
Devine Divinity
Dragon Age Origins
Dragon Age 2
Dragon Age Inquisition
Morrowind
Oblivion
Skyrim
Fallout 2, 3, 4, New Vegas
FEAR
Gothic 2 & 3
Half Life 1 & 2
Icewind Dale 1 (Enhanced Edition)
Neverwinter Nights (Enhanced Edtion)
Neverwinter Nights 2
Realms of Arkania Blade of Destiny (Remake)
Realms of Arkania Star Trail (Remake)
Risen
Sacred 1 & 2
System Shock 2
Outcast Second Contact (Remake)
Titan Quest
Mass Effect Legendary Edition
Mass Effect Andromeda
Two Worlds 1 & 2
Witcher 1, 2, & 3

McStabStab

Community Contributor
  • Bioshock Remastered if that counts as rebuying Bioshock from when I had the physical edition
  • Command and Conquer Remastered Collection if that counts as rebuying C&C Red Alert
  • Resident Evil 2 Remake although that is a real stretch to call it rebuying RE2... but I did have both Playstation and N64 copies of that game
  • Spyro: Reignited Trilogy if that counts as rebuying Spyro the Dragon
  • Crash Bandicoot N Sane Trilogy if that counts as rebuying Crash Bandicoot 2
  • Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 - This definitely counts as buying the game twice, one physical, one digital
  • Half-Life I've bought physical and digital copies of
That's pretty much it besides buying copies of games as gifts for friends and family.

Jul 29, 2021
Visit site
I can't remember them all, but...

1. Mass Effect 2 - first for the PC when it released (wish I had kept the box and disc), then later as part of the Legendary remaster on the PS5

2. Witcher 3, sort of - prior to the release of the game I purchased a graphics card that came with a code for a "free" copy for GoG. I played through the story on PC, had a blast, and years later (just the other night) saw that an edition was on sale for the PS4/5 for only $12 that included all DLC, none of which I played. So I purchased it for the sale price and will wait until CDPR releases their PS5 patch so I can play it in 4K 60 fps on my big ol' TV

3. Baldur's Gate - lost my original PC copy so I bought it again. Then I purchased the enhanced edition on PC. And, prior to leaving for a work trip, I decided to buy the enhanced edition again on iOS so I could play it on my iPad when the day was done and I was back in my hotel room

Does it count if I buy a second copy and give it to someone else? Because I can't even begin to estimate that, and I don't think there's a way to check it. At least 100. As for bundles, if I've already got the game, I give the key to someone else. I do collect duplicates with the Epic giveaways, and there are a couple of games that I actually paid for more than one copy for myself because I decided I wanted the GoG version over the Steam version. So my official answer is that I don't have a clue.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Sep 10, 2020
Visit site
First I was so sure I've never bought a game twice. But here's my list:
Sims 3 + all expansions: bought it digitally because I didn't have the physical copies anymore
Fahrenheit: remaster on PC
Jade Empire: remaster on PC
Okami: HD remaster on PC
Final Fantasy VIII: wanted it on PC
Final Fantasy XIII: wanted it on PC
Final Fantasy X / X-2: HD remaster on PC
METAL SLUG 3: wanted it on PC / Nostalgia

So usually games I've enjoyed in the past / as a kid. :)

Reactions: Brian Boru
Coming over from the Steam Keys VS Others thread referral.

I've never bought a game twice on PC. I have snagged a freebie from Epic that I already had on Steam. But I would never buy a game on Steam that I had already gotten free on Epic.

The only instances of games I've bought multiple times were cross-platform. When I stopped using my Wii U, I bought a couple of the games I played on Wii U for the PC because I figured I'd always have a PC. Plus like others mentioned, we have bought Minecraft about 20 times on all the different consoles, PC, mobile devices.

TRENDING THREADS