What game would you like to see in VR ?

Zloth

Community Contributor
That's easy: Tomb Raider. I played it with 3D Vision a lot and the 3 most recent seems outright designed to work with stereoscopic graphics. The GUI is actually 3D, for instance. When you see this near the start of Shadow of the Tomb Raider:
full

The text is ON that wall, and the parts of the text that are farther away look farther away. The also love to have things fall toward you as you climb up walls.

The older series doesn't seem designed for stereoscopic 3D, but it sure does benefit from it more than most games.

Reactions: Brian Boru
That's easy: Tomb Raider. I played it with 3D Vision a lot and the 3 most recent seems outright designed to work with stereoscopic graphics. The GUI is actually 3D, for instance. When you see this near the start of Shadow of the Tomb Raider:
full

The text is ON that wall, and the parts of the text that are farther away look farther away. The also love to have things fall toward you as you climb up walls.

The older series doesn't seem designed for stereoscopic 3D, but it sure does benefit from it more than most games.
I'm not so sure that alone qualifies the game as being made for SS 3D so much as the HUD prompts being spacial instead of statically placed. Unless of course the actual game environment itself has some SS 3D tendencies.

Oh, it does. THIS should be a frightening thing to see:
full

I think that scene is more down to depth perception and trying to evoke feelings of vertigo than anything to do with SS 3D. I've been playing Dying Light 2 lately and it has tons of vertigo inducing moments, especially when trying to parkour to the top of a skyscraper with nothing but narrow ledges, monkey bars, etc.

Zloth

Community Contributor
Vertigo from a 2D screenshot?

There are also sequences in the games where you're climbing while things are falling at you. Plus amazingly claustrophobic sequences. Plus the very 3D GUI. There weren't any shortcuts in the game, like torch fire being done with post-processing instead of really being in the 3D environment, the help it work. If they weren't specifically looking forward to full 3D, they sure did stumble into some great stuff!

Pong
Space invaders

Seems I am too late for those. I can't think of any I would want to play in VR.

notices going blind isn't a reason to not use VR since you can use prescription lenses.

I just don't feel the desire to be "In" the game that much. If VR was the future, Meta wouldn't be losing all its money. Though Metaverse was really a bad game to invest in to begin with.

Vertigo from a 2D screenshot?

There are also sequences in the games where you're climbing while things are falling at you. Plus amazingly claustrophobic sequences. Plus the very 3D GUI. There weren't any shortcuts in the game, like torch fire being done with post-processing instead of really being in the 3D environment, the help it work. If they weren't specifically looking forward to full 3D, they sure did stumble into some great stuff!
Yeah right, like I'm going to suggest developers are going for a feeling of vertigo, but only via screenshots. :rolleyes:

You're the one that seems to be imagining that screenshots well demonstrate scenes suitable for SS 3D, not me. LOL

Anyway, we seem to be heading more and more toward what looks good in 3D in general, vs VR here. There are TONS of games that feature objects flying toward you, like melee games where enemies throw weapons at you. What I'm getting at is I think it's more your love for that particular game series than it actually BEING the best suited for VR that's swaying you. ;)

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
While I don’t play it anymore I think Overwatch in VR would be pretty cool. Any hero shooter I can see being good because the gameplay is simple and they’re usually cartoony so it’d be easy to read.

I'd like it so that VR is totally immersive in many of the open world games I play.

I don't want to move though, I want the game world to move just like it does now with KB & M but 3D.(not explaining that very well, but hopefully you know what I mean).

So RD2, HZD, GTAV, WD2 & Legion, etc.

Reactions: Alm and Brian Boru
I suppose it must take the mind time to adjust. I would have imagined Skyrim to be okay, it's pretty slow pace.

I had a really strong reaction to it. So much so, that I didn't try it again. It felt like my eyes couldn't hack the disconnect between what I was seeing and what my body was actually doing. But I think that reactions vary between people. I'm ok with the 'teleportation' style of VR movement.

I had a really strong reaction to it. So much so, that I didn't try it again. It felt like my eyes couldn't hack the disconnect between what I was seeing and what my body was actually doing. But I think that reactions vary between people. I'm ok with the 'teleportation' style of VR movement.
Yes I'd definitely like to try VR before buying, but then it may take a while to adjust. I do get motion sickness but I'm not sure if that's relevant. That's an inner ear balance system problem.

And like you say it's a disconnect between eye/mind and body/mind.

But there's great potential there for complete immersion.
I'll look into VR teleportation, thanks.

Zloth

Community Contributor
I did my VR using the original Oculus. It wasn't easy getting that thing over my glasses and often times they would steam up. When it worked well, though, it worked very well!

I played Obduction the most with it. Assuming no steam-up, I could play about 45 minutes with them before I would need a break. I once went too long and got a bit motion sick. It wasn't bad, but for whatever reason it took several hours to fade away again.

Personally, I still like the idea of AR a little more. Instead of completely blocking out everything, you set it up your desk and keep a blank wall behind it. The AR can use that blank area to display a virtual space. It would NOT fill up your entire vision and, if you turn your head to the side, the virtual space still stays between you and the blank wall. Hopefully, that will be enough of a tip-off that your internal balance system doesn't start freaking out.

TRENDING THREADS