What are your favorite horror games?

By the way, what's your favorite horror game?😁

@ZedClampet replied: Alien Isolation. Of course, that's a huge AAA game, but I've enjoyed tons of horror games, everything from freebies on up.

- - -

I'm not into horror in any medium, other than psychological horror—eg Hitchcock.

Over to all you creeps and ghouls, strut your stuff!

I haven't played that many horror games and finished only a handful I think. The only ones I can think of right now are both Amnesia games, which I did enjoy.

I did play a bit of Dead Space and while I had enjoyed reading about the lore beforehand, the actual gameplay was pretty meh. Seeing an air vent and knowing that it'll have a bunch of monsters come out only after I've passed it broke my immersion.

EDIT: I just remembered I also played (and I think finished) F.E.A.R. 3, which had a similar problem where it didn't really feel scary because it was too obviously scripted where the "jumpscares" would happen. The shooting part of the game was good though.

Days Gone, The Evil Within, RE 4, all Dead Space games, and Doom Eternal. Those are the ones I've had the most enjoyment and replay value out of.

Except for Doom Eternal, those are all 'survival horror' games. You can fight back, you have limited inventory, resources are scarce, etc. It's easily my favorite horror genre. Sadly, they don't make a lot of money anymore, so there aren't a lot of options. The Callisto Protocol is one to keep an eye on, though. It should be releasing next year.

I don't really play any true horror games, although I have a few wish-listed on Steam just to keep an eye on. It's not that I don't like them, it's just that I haven't found one recently that interested me enough to purchase or spend time with.

In the past I've played the original Fear, but that's really a shooter-type game with some shock scares. The last horror game I played would probably be back in the age of FMV games. Phantasmagoria, Gabriel Knight the Beast Within come to mind. There was also Realms of the Haunting, but it was more of a hybrid type of game than true horror. I don't know that any of those would be "true" horror games, but they're as close as I've gotten.

Except for Doom Eternal, those are all 'survival horror' games. You can fight back, you have limited inventory, resources are scarce, etc. It's easily my favorite horror genre. Sadly, they don't make a lot of money anymore, so there aren't a lot of options. The Callisto Protocol is one to keep an eye on, though. It should be releasing next year year.
Yeah I'm well aware of Calisto Protocol, and have told others about it whom were like myself, morning the loss of Visceral Games and Dead Space, but I don't like that the studio making it, Striking Distance, is owned by PUBG Corp., and they have agreed to make all their games based on PUBG, a battle royale game that doesn't really even have a story. I remain skeptical.

Yeah I'm well aware of Calisto Protocol, and have told others about it whom were like myself, morning the loss of Visceral Games and Dead Space, but I don't like that the studio making it, Striking Distance, is owned by PUBG Corp., and they have agreed to make all their games based on PUBG, a battle royale game that doesn't really even have a story. I remain skeptical.

Yeah, admittedly that's a bit ridiculous. I'm hoping they aren't actually going to mention anything PUBG related.

Yeah, admittedly that's a bit ridiculous. I'm hoping they aren't actually going to mention anything PUBG related.
Yeah I'm hoping all they have to do to meet the requirement is have a few vaguely recognizable characters here and there, or some Easter eggs. I mean they can't really relate anything to it story wise since PUGB isn't story driven.

PCG Jody

Staff member
Dec 9, 2019
Visit site
Vampire: the Masquerade – Bloodlines is one of my all-time favorites, a horror RPG that lets you be the monster and still manages to be scary. I also like Telltale's Walking Dead series a lot (except for the Michonne spin-off).

Though not enough of them are on PC, I love the early Silent Hill games, and Silent Hill: Shattered Memories out of the later ones.

Vampire: the Masquerade – Bloodlines is one of my all-time favorites, a horror RPG that lets you be the monster and still manages to be scary.

Hear hear! Ocean House, Gimble, Twins, Pisha, and probably more I can't remember. Just an overall brilliant game!

Right now my most scary game would be Resident Evil 7: Biohazard. Played it for about 2 hours and I'm just too scared of getting any further. Kind of funny since I am also trying to play Visage, which is probably even scarier.

@ZedClampetSeems like there’s a lot of freedom as well as trial and error.

That's the fun right there. I don't really have any groundbreaking tips. Scavenge everything. Keep an eye on the time and try to make repairs and barricade windows and doors if you can before it gets dark.

The one cool thing that you might want to know is that you can force the game to quicksave by talking to someone or by using the oven; otherwise, it just saves after every night. I used that whenever possible.

The only horror type pc game i have ever bought was THE THING , it was the second pc game i bought way back in 2002. I was stood in my local pc world store and had to grab it very quickly as it was being removed from the shelves. All those years ago gore was much less acceptable and their is a section in it where you do sniper shots to guards in an aircraft hanger , this caused their heads to split in half and it was the reason for the complains. Pc world did not want to been seen to be selling violence.

I enjoyed it for the jump factor and still dig it out every now and again for old times sake.

TRENDING THREADS