What are good specs for a streaming pc?

Apr 14, 2020
Visit site
I have NVIDIA RTX 2070 Super graphics card in my gaming pc and AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor.

I can play games on Ultra on every game

However when I stream using my gaming PC the FPS drops as a result.

I am looking for a streaming and would like to know minimum requirements to be able to stream 1080p

Last edited:
You should be able to stream games with that setup.

It will depend on the settings you are using. You may need to adjust those.

You won't get exactly the same FPS when you stream, obviously, since you're asking the PC to encode video while running a game. But it shouldn't be too bad.

Reactions: Frindis
Apr 14, 2020
Visit site
You should be able to stream games with that setup.

It will depend on the settings you are using. You may need to adjust those.

You won't get exactly the same FPS when you stream, obviously, since you're asking the PC to encode video while running a game. But it shouldn't be too bad.

Yes but I WANT a streaming PC to improve stream production and accessibility ... so Im just asking what are the requirements which would be good for super smooth gameplay like the best streamers on twitch

Inspireless Llama

Community Contributor
Mbps or mb/s? That does make a difference. 49 mbps is about 6 mb/s.

How much you need depends on your resolution, bitrate and quality .

Actually I'm not sure if that has an impact on how your game works, just how it looks on stream.

Zoid

Community Contributor
Yes but I WANT a streaming PC to improve stream production and accessibility ... so Im just asking what are the requirements which would be good for super smooth gameplay like the best streamers on twitch
Can you let us know what you consider to be super smooth gameplay? Plenty of people stream successfully with an R5 3600. Can you let us know exactly what performance you're seeing in games normally vs when you stream and what your target performance is?

Apr 14, 2020
Visit site
Can you let us know what you consider to be super smooth gameplay? Plenty of people stream successfully with an R5 3600. Can you let us know exactly what performance you're seeing in games normally vs when you stream and what your target performance is?
Such as watching Doc Disrespect, the wuality of his streams as if we are watching his monitor, I want THAT .... and need to know what specs his steeaming pc is to get the same quality over form the gaming pc

Zoid

Community Contributor
Such as watching Doc Disrespect, the wuality of his streams as if we are watching his monitor, I want THAT .... and need to know what specs his steeaming pc is to get the same quality over form the gaming pc
If you're concerned with the visual quality of the stream, the number one thing that will improve that is making sure your upstream connection is fast enough. Are you able to stream at 1080p over your connection without image quality loss?

What framerates are you getting normally vs. when you stream?

Reactions: Oussebon
Apr 14, 2020
Visit site
If you're concerned with the visual quality of the stream, the number one thing that will improve that is making sure your upstream connection is fast enough. Are you able to stream at 1080p over your connection without image quality loss?

What framerates are you getting normally vs. when you stream?
I can stream at 1080 at a constant 60fps on 8000 bitrate, but the frames on obs drop due to encoding, so i want a good streaming pc to make the strewam super clear

Inspireless Llama

Community Contributor

Please do a little research:

Dr. Disrespects PC build:

Well, if you want a good streaming PC, you better just build a completely new one and use the new one as your gaming PC while your current one can be your streaming PC.

Just to note, for a streaming build, that sort of spec probably isn't ideal / ideal value, but rather he has it as part of an Asus ROG sponsorship thing.

I don't follow Dr. DisRespect or any streamers tbh, just going by the fact all his stuff is ROG, he does ROG giveaways, and joined the ROG Stream Team in 2017 - apparently.

So don't just go out and buy a PC with an i7, monster GPU, and probably unnecessary quantities of RAM :) It presumably also depends on the encode settings.

Also worth considering whether you'll also want to edit videos, and if so what software you'll be using.

Reactions: Zoid

Zoid

Community Contributor
Just to note, for a streaming build, that sort of spec probably isn't ideal / ideal value, but rather he has it as part of an Asus ROG sponsorship thing.
This is a good point. Lots of big name streamers have computers given to them by sponsors, which aren't necessarily builds you'd be wise to copy.
I can stream at 1080 at a constant 60fps on 8000 bitrate, but the frames on obs drop due to encoding, so i want a good streaming pc to make the strewam super clear
I'd still love to have more information on things like CPU usage while streaming, framerates while streaming etc.

Have you played around with changing your encoder setting in OBS? x264 will probably be the most resource intensive for you. NVENC may give you better performance by giving the encoding duties to the GPU where NVIDIA's NVENC chip can help out. Try messing with these settings and see how things go.

If you cannot get the performance you want out of either encoder, you can think about throwing hardware at the problem. Do you have another computer at home? Even just a laptop? If so, you can try using it as a streaming PC. This will take most (but not all) of the CPU load off your gaming PC, and the streaming PC will handle the encoding.

If you do not have a second computer at home, you can either upgrade your CPU to handle the encoding overhead, or you can build a dedicated streaming PC in addition to your gaming rig. That's the last resort though. Try playing with encoders first.

I can't read it either, even zooming in the CPU is illegible.

Maybe something with an R5 3600 / R7 2700 / R7 2700x depending on pricing, B450 board, capture card, and SSD.

Also make sure the PSU and case aren't too low end in case you end up using the PC for video editing (including the addition of a dedicated GPU) so you can render videos on it while keeping your main PC free for gaming.

Inspireless Llama

Community Contributor
Maybe I should have ended my previous post with /sarcasm.

I strongly feel like you're putting zero effort in here to research things yourself. You're not replying to questions here that can help you with advice on what to do either. Others probably feel different, but it looks like you want a new PC and that's all.

As to streaming itself, there still are a few things we (probably won't get) need answers. First of all is indeed checking if your connection is strong enough. Secondly, what program are you using to stream? Thirdly, where do you stream to? Also, what kind do you stream?

Twitch Discord or something else? Because if you stream to Discord and don't have Nitro there's no point in wanting to stream 60fps because that's limited to Nitro users. If you stream to Twitch, they recommend lower than 1080p for fast faced games. They don't even have a recommendation for fast faced on 1080p. IF you want to stream 1080p, they recommend a bitrate of 6000, not 8000. Also, I read somewhere that a high bitrate may give Twitch a false positive about trying to overload servers.

Reactions: Zoid and Oussebon

TRENDING THREADS