Weekend Question: Which unpopular sidekick would you defend with your life?

PCG Jody

Staff member
Dec 9, 2019
Visit site
I ask the PCG staff a regular Weekend Question and post the answers on the site. If you'd like to throw in an answer here, I'll squeeze the best into the finished article!

This week's question is: Which unpopular sidekick would you defend with your life?

Sometimes sidekicks rub people the wrong way. Anyone who falls outside the top 20 on our list ranking the Mass Effect companions, for instance. Maybe they're a bit clingy, maybe they get in the way during fights, maybe they aren't as sexy as the characters everyone else likes.

Maybe they have the misfortune to be literally any sidekick from a Resident Evil game.

But you're moved to stick up for at least one of them, dammit. If only the world could see it from your point of view! Well, now they can. Make a case for the defence.

Sarafan

Community Contributor
It's a hard choice because there are a few. I'd say Marcus from Fallout 2 however. I won't lie. He's not always in my party when I'm replaying Fallout 2, but I frequently find him underappreciated. The main problem with this companion is his tendency to shoot friendly characters when using burst fire. It's annoying, but he's the only recruitable character in the game which can use big guns and heavy energy weapons.

It's dangerous to give Marcus a Minigun or Bozar, but he really starts to shine when equipped with a Plasma or Pulse Rifle. These weapons don't have a burst fire mode and do a lot of damage with single shots. Of course there are some problems with Marcus's endurance late in the game, but if you're using the Restoration Project, you can get him a decent armor.

That's a tough question, it's hard to know (sometimes) if a companion/sidekick is considered unpopular by other players. But, one of my favorites was Oghren from Dragon Age Origins. I don't believe he was quite as popular as the rest of the crew. but I really liked him. He was a drunk, belched alot, leered at women (especially Morrigan), but he was an awesome tank-like fighter and has some really funny lines throughout the DAO. He had an interesting relationship with his wife, Branka, and also with Felsi. In all, I think he was a much more complex companion/sidekick, than given credit for.

TRENDING THREADS