Weekend Question: What's your favorite podcast game?

PCG Jody

Staff member
Dec 9, 2019
Visit site
I ask the PCG staff a regular Weekend Question and post the answers on the site. If you'd like to throw in an answer here, I'll squeeze the best into the finished article!

This week's question is: What's your favorite podcast game? A few years ago we did "What do you listen to while you're playing games?" so this is the other half of that question. What game do you like to play while listening to a podcast (or watching TV on a second screen if that's your thing) because it doesn't demand that much attention? Could also be a game with just atrocious loading screens or a lot of downtime. If you prefer to put all your attention on whatever game you're playing, that's OK too!

Reactions: XoRn and Frindis

OsaX Nymloth

Community Contributor
While I don't listen to podcasts, I have a series of games that were perfect for running in background or on one monitor while I watched something on second: Football Manager. I have spent countless hours with the series starting from 2005 edition and the amount of documentaries, game analysis or simply let's plays I watched while leading some random lower league team to glory is probably too damn high.

I guess other game that had similar ability to let me play and watch at the same time would be Civilization V. So slow strategy games seems perfect fit. ;]

Reactions: PCG Jody
I have never listened to a podcast.
Might I recommend the PCG Podcast, and the PCG UK podcast progeny Crate and Crowbar?

You'd be hard pressed to find a more suitable game for podcast binging than an MMO. World of Warcraft was my podcast conduit for a solid 6 months. It wasn't until I ran out of podcasts that I realized I had almost no love for the game itself and stopped playing. lol

Sarafan

Community Contributor
I never play games while listening to podcasts. It's too distracting to me. The result would be either poor performance in a game or lack of focus on the podcast content. Sometimes I browse the internet forums or other websites while listening to a podcast or stream. Usually however I pause it once I find something interesting enough to demand more attention. Generally I like to fully focus on things that I do.

May 2, 2020
Visit site
Anything that doesn't have a bunch of story or cutscenes I need to pay attention to usually works well. FIFA and The Binding of Isaac are the ones I play most whilst catching up on a podcast or fifteen.

Zoid

Community Contributor
If I'm playing a game while listening to a podcast, the gameplay either needs to be purely mechanical or purely creative. For purely mechanical gameplay I turn to games like Forza Motorsport where I can settling into the rhythm of an endurance race while catching up on my podcast backlog, or Super Mario Odyssey where I can try to cut down my speedrun times.

For purely creative gameplay I turn to games like Fallout 4's settlement building or Minecraft where I can build things with no time constraints, story progression, or action involved.

i find it counter intuitive to listen to podcasts/music when playing games. Especially online PVP games where i need to rely on sound as much as sight to get the winning hand. I do however listen to music and longplays whilst i do some digital painting. before you ask, i'm rubbish at it.

All of them. I can only really listen to podcasts, TV shows and radio programmes when I'm playing a game, and vice versa. I can't just absorb information or twiddle my thumbs, it has to be both. Only when the game is exclusively about story over gameplay do I tend to pause things in the background, which is a testament to how good that game is, otherwise I just switch it off.

So currently I'm going to be listening to Campaigns Two & Three of Critical Role. Three's in progress each Thursday (except for the last one of the month) so that gives me time to catch up on the events of The Mighty Nein.

TRENDING THREADS