Weekend Question: What's the oldest game you still play?

Page 2 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
yeah i have that on my 3ds atm. got a massive backlog on all my handheld consoles; vita and 3ds alive. Currently i'm playing killzone liberation and yeah... not much fun with that atm. mainly the autoaim is just sorely lacking and without the second thumb stick, things are just awkward.
You need to find a used New 3DS that has the second stick. If you ever have time for it, try out The Minish Cap. You may not like it as much as I did, but I thought the shrinking dynamic made it a great game. I'd love a modernized remake of that game.

Zloth

Community Contributor
Edit: It's free on Steam because I own Portal 2. I'm definitely checking this out. Thanks for the referral!
Wow, it has its own Steam page and achievements!

You need to find a used New 3DS that has the second stick. If you ever have time for it, try out The Minish Cap. You may not like it as much as I did, but I thought the shrinking dynamic made it a great game. I'd love a modernized remake of that game.

Ah, some clarification: i do have the new 3ds xl with the second analogue "stick" (its a bit crap tbh) i was talking about playing killzone liberation a psp game (which i'm playing on my vita) and the psp only had one analogue stick so you couldn't free aim move camera etc. So whilst its playable, KL has some glaring issues but i'll discuss that another time.

but yeah, i'll play minish gap either on my 3ds or i might just add it to my raspberry pi or an emulator.

Sarafan

Community Contributor
Right now the oldest game I have on my hard drive is the first Quake. I replay it one or two times a year and like to experiment with different mods (usually those that enhance graphics somehow). I think that the game is one of the best FPSs in history. It's a legendary title which can serve as an example of top-notch level design.

I also usually keep Neverwinter Nights. The amount of community made modules is so huge that the game can be played for thousands of hours. I find myself returning to the title regularly. I especially love Hordes of the Underdark official campaign. It has some serious Planescape Torment vibes. I'll be replaying it in the future for sure.

You just reminded me I also played the finished and bug free version of Black Mesa recently. I liked it so much it inspired me to play through HL2 again, and the 2 episodes that came after
I'll tell you one thing though, the Black Mesa mod, especially after finally finished and fully optimized, really makes you appreciate the work that went into the Zen stuff that came at the end of the game. I also initially liked HL2 better, but after playing the final version of Black Mesa, it's pretty much a tie for me.
I've been meaning to play Black Mesa since the Xen levels were completed, which means I'll probably end up playing HL2 + Episodes afterwards like you did. Penciled it in on my projected/hope to play list for this year. That list is getting progressively larger, and that's without buying any new games this year.

I've been meaning to play Black Mesa since the Xen levels were completed, which means I'll probably end up playing HL2 + Episodes afterwards like you did. Penciled it in on my projected/hope to play list for this year. That list is getting progressively larger, and that's without buying any new games this year.
I think I could ditch Game Pass and never buy another game again, and still have enough gaming to last me until I die.

Reactions: Pifanjr and mainer
It's really incredibly well done, one of the best and longest fan made campaigns I've ever played.
I just tried out Portal Stories Mel, and I couldn't play it. I don't have access to my gaming PC right now, so I was trying it out on my laptop, and it runs like crap on it. As old as the tech is, I was surprised it ran that badly. Plus I was really surprised it doesn't support any HD resolutions. I'm pretty sure both Portal games had HD resolutions. It seems like this is a mod of HL2, though.

Reactions: Pifanjr
I just tried out Portal Stories Mel, and I couldn't play it. I don't have access to my gaming PC right now, so I was trying it out on my laptop, and it runs like crap on it. As old as the tech is, I was surprised it ran that badly. Plus I was really surprised it doesn't support any HD resolutions. I'm pretty sure both Portal games had HD resolutions. It seems like this is a mod of HL2, though.
Well, all I can say is I have plenty of videos I took of it proving it does in fact support HD res. It also ran fine on my spec. Granted my spec is certainly better now than when I played Portal 2 originally, but it's nowhere near top of the line by today's standards.

I honestly have to be a bit skeptical whenever I hear of such things when someone is using a laptop to game on. There's so many things that could be the cause of such problems when using such a platform.

Well, all I can say is I have plenty of videos I took of it proving it does in fact support HD res. It also ran fine on my spec. Granted my spec is certainly better now than when I played Portal 2 originally, but it's nowhere near top of the line by today's standards.

I honestly have to be a bit skeptical whenever I hear of such things when someone is using a laptop to game on. There's so many things that could be the cause of such problems when using such a platform.
Yeah, I know what you're saying. And I've also seen the videos of it running in HD. But for some reason, I didn't have the option. It let me choose 16:9, but none of the available resolutions were HD, and it had black bars on the right and left. Are you playing the version from Steam?

My laptop has a n i5-1035G1 with 8GB of RAM. I know it's not a gaming rig, but I thought it could handle something older like that.

Edit: Oh, man, I may have just figured it out. I accidentally had it on 16:10 instead of 16:9. When I changed it it gave me 1920x1080 (Native). Cool! I'll try it out again to see if it runs more smoothly now.

Edit: Oh, man, I may have just figured it out. I accidentally had it on 16:10 instead of 16:9. When I changed it it gave me 1920x1080 (Native). Cool! I'll try it out again to see if it runs more smoothly now.
LOL, yeah I was going to say the black bars were a dead giveaway, but looks like you figured it out.

Be sure to let us know what you think of it after playing it. The advanced versions of the puzzles can be a bit hard to figure out.

LOL, yeah I was going to say the black bars were a dead giveaway, but looks like you figured it out.

Be sure to let us know what you think of it after playing it. The advanced versions of the puzzles can be a bit hard to figure out.
I had a couple of minutes to try it, and it ran much more smoothly in native resolution. It's definitely playable. Whenever I get a better chance to play, I'll let you know what I think. My main game at the moment is Psychonauts 2, though.

Jun 25, 2022
Visit site
I ask the PCG staff a regular Weekend Question and post the answers on the site. If you'd like to throw in an answer here, I'll squeeze the best into the finished article!

This week the question is: What's the oldest game you still play?

Think of the hardy videogame perennials you keep installed to pop back into when the mood strikes you, or replay every year or two like a personal ritual. Which one of them dates back the furthest? I've got Pool of Radiance, a downright ancient D&D RPG from 1988, on the go at the moment—a game I restart on the regular without ever finishing it as I try again and again to find the perfect party balance of elven fighter/thief and fighter/mages.
crash bandicoot

TRENDING THREADS