Weekend Question: What's a game you gave up and watched on YouTube instead of finishing?

PCG Jody

Staff member
Dec 9, 2019
Visit site
I ask the PCG staff a regular Weekend Question and post the answers on the site. If you'd like to throw in an answer here, I'll squeeze the best into the finished article!

This week's question is: What's a game you gave up and watched on YouTube instead of finishing?

I can't be the only person who, after finding out that unlocking the true ending of Arkham Knight required completing every single Riddler challenge, just watched the bloody thing on YouTube instead.

More recently, after hours fighting through corridors in Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin to level up some jobs and then get bored, I relied on YouTube to tell me why Jack was so adamant Chaos was a person he could find and kill and not, like, an abstract concept. Turns out the answer's halfway interesting, though still daft as a brush. Maybe in a few years we'll find out what went on behind the scenes of that game to leave it in the weirdly gutted state it released in, with arbitrary leaps in quest level-requirements that other activities were presumably meant to fill, and townsfolk conversations accessed from a menu because the city hub was clearly cut late in development.

What's a game you gave up and watched on YouTube instead of finishing? And if you never have, why are you a much better human being than the rest of us?

Zloth

Community Contributor
It's pretty rare for me (if I'm not interested enough to keep playing, I probably won't bother to look up the ending, either) but I just did that with NieR Replicant. I was bothered by all the repetition the first time I played the game to get ending A. No way was I going to go back to that Junk Yard section! So, I watched endings B through E on YouTube. Then watched a video covering everything that happened before NieR. Then everything that happened between NieR and Automata. Wow!

The only time I've ever done this (sort of) was with Doki Doki Literature Club. I knew what was going to happen, and I didn't want to experience it, so I just read a plot summary of the game.

Part of the reason I'll quit, but not look up the ending is because I'm always stupidly optimistic that i'm actually just taking a break and will come back to the game later.

Last edited:
Sometimes I will, but the more likely scenario is that I will intend to watch it on YouTube and simply never get to it. For story-driven games with annoying gameplay (or if I get sick of it for one reason or another) it can be an ideal strategy, but I usually will never end up watching it. I did this for Middle-Earth: Shadow of War and it has been on my "watch later" list for months.

Jun 5, 2022
Visit site
Getting Over It with Bennett Foddy

iu

Anyone who's watched this game will know that it's only 2 minutes long.
Anyone who's tried to beat the game in 2 minutes will tell you that it takes hours of practice.
A game I both hate to play but love to watch.

Still feel bad for doing this, but after not being able to play The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings on my old PC, I turned to the tube to watch the different boss fights. Thankfully this was some years back, so I just vaguely remember the last boss fight, which I can live with. This also reminds me that The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition is -85% off on GOG, so now would be a great time to grab it.

Oh, yeah, I did that as well - even though the lootbox junk was tamed by the time I played the game. Getting to the normal ending plus the DLC took up 67 hours, there was no way I was going to do all that capturing.

If i recall they even admitted that their monetisation was killing end game and it pissed off the suckers who did splurge on the game. I just looked at the requirements to earn loot boxes for free and i just noped out of that grindfest.

After seeing it on youtube i can confidently say that i made the right decision to stop playing the game after beating all the main game and the DLC.

TRENDING THREADS