Weekend Question: What's the first game you remember finishing?

PCG Jody

Staff member
Dec 9, 2019
Visit site
I ask the PCG staff a regular Weekend Question and post the answers on the site. If you'd like to throw in an answer here, I'll squeeze the best into the finished article!

This week's question is: What's the first game you remember finishing? Did you even know games had endings when you were a kid? Have you always had to finish one game before moving on to the next?

The first game I actually remember completing was either Silver (1999) or Outlaws (1997). Back then, I didn't have a large library of games, so I would tend to finish a game before moving onto the next. I also mainly played demos, as I didnt have the full games (I still have a couple of CD Gamer demos from 98-99 in my collection), and unless it was my Birthday or Christmas, there was no way of me getting any new games.

PCG Jacob

Staff member
Apr 2, 2020
Visit site
The first game I can remember playing from start to finish is Pandemonium! on PlayStation. It's all a little fuzzy, but I recall winding levels, plenty of platforming, and a man in a skin-tight jester's outfit that still haunts me to this day.

I'll give a shout out to Klonoa: Door to Phantomile, as well. I can't remember if I ever finished it, but I sure remember trying to for many, many hours.

McStabStab

Community Contributor
I feel like I didn't start finishing games until I was a teenager. The first I actually remember finishing are Metal Gear Solid and Pokemon maybe. Super Mario World I feel like was a cooperative effort between my brother and I. I beat Mario 64 but didn't get all the stars until way later. I'm sure there are others but those stick out in my mind.

OsaX Nymloth

Community Contributor
As a kid I suppose I knew games had endings - but it took me a while before I ever saw a "you're done, go do something else" screen. I don't believe I finished any of the first games I had on my first PC. Doom II for example, scared me with some mid-game demons and every time I saw barons of hell I noped out. I was apparently very easy to stress as a kid, duh.

When I think about the questions, hm.... it's tough actually. I had a lot of demos from computer magazine that came together with a CD (and then later, a DVD or two!) so I don't count finishing these. Maybe Fallout 2? I remember the feeling of awe at the destruction of oil rig, the bitter-sweet feeling of finishing an amazing journey across the wastelands. It was also the game that "taught" me a lot of English - yup I had a dictionary on the desk next to me so I could translate some of the dialogues and descriptions. I remember being weirded out by "ordinary" and "nothing out of ordinary" phrases A LOT by some reason.

I can't remember exactly the first game i completed but i can remember it was on the Amiga. Its a toss up between dragon ninja, Robocop or z-out (there are others but i think those were the ones that i remember earliest). How did i beat these games when i was 7 years old? Well, i cheated my balls off. it was the only way i could beat most of the games on the Amiga at the time. As i got older i did beat games legitimately and i took great pride beating the more terrible ones as i was the only one skilled/stupid enough to do it in my household. Like Arnie or the Amiga edition of alien storm or midnight resistance. Partly because i was obligated to beat those games as i bought them as my birthday present in different years. looking back i regret pestering my mum into buying them.

May 1, 2020
Visit site
The first game i ever completed had to be Ratchet and Clank: Deadlocked. Playing it on the PS2, i really liked the arena style, battling up the leaderboard and completing challenges, and leveling up weapons. The final bosses were great, satisfying, and the ending was nice.

Reactions: Tyran77
May 1, 2020
Visit site
The first game I remember finishing was the original Medal of Honor for the playstation 1 with my dad! I don't remember may hard details because I would have been like 2 or 3 years old.

Reactions: Tyran77

TRENDING THREADS