Weekend Question: What game are you tempted to replay whenever it's mentioned?

PCG Jody

Staff member
Dec 9, 2019
Visit site
I ask the PCG staff a regular Weekend Question and post the answers on the site. If you'd like to throw in an answer here, I'll squeeze the best into the finished article!

This week the question is: What game are you tempted to replay whenever it's mentioned?

Deus Ex is the classic example of course, rendered in a meme so old it comes from a time before we even called them memes. But plenty of other games live on in our subconscious after we stop playing, and a simple mention of their names is enough to get the music going in our heads. Maybe it's that one MMO you always go back to, maybe it's the RPG where you can always try a different build. Maybe it's actually just Deus Ex.

1586134141351.jpg

The first games that come to mind are Black & White and Skyrim. Fallout: New Vegas too, especially when I happen to hear Big Iron somewhere.

Other notable mentions are Dark Messiah of Might and Magic and Lord of the Rings: Shadow of Mordor because the combat is just so satisfying.

Dwarf Fortress is another one I keep coming back to every so often when something reminds me of it (often times it's some music that either reminds me of the theme or of some music I listened to while playing the game).

For me it's got to be a strategy, management or building sandbox type game. Games this tends to happen with for me right now are TWW2, Satisfactory, Scrap Mechanic, Roller Coaster Tycoon (any of the first 3) and Satisfactory. The only shooter I ever felt that way with was RE4, but my last playthrough on that was a couple of years ago. There are other games that I've replayed, but they don't meet the requirements of the question.

Great. Thanks, now I want to go and install and play Deus Ex. When I do play it, I play Deus Ex: Revision, which is a community made mod/project that updates Deus Ex GOTY edition with better graphics, textures, higher resolutions, and many other features that make it look and run better on newer PCs. It still looks a bit dated, but still much better, you just have to own & install Deus Ex GOTY, then install Revision (which is free) and has it's own steam page:

View: https://youtu.be/jKFNnSN38Dc

OsaX Nymloth

Community Contributor
Huh, did someone mention Baldur's Gate/Icewind Dale or Fallout 1/2? I felt a sudden urge to replay them. Again for the n-th time. And yes, I did replay them last year or so, how did you know?

In recent months I had a small but growing urge to revisit Alan Wake. And guess I will, with the remaster revealed not so long ago.

Also brb, reinstalling Deus Ex.

Deus Ex: Revision
Cool video. The intro logo reminded me immediately of Westwood Studios' logo.

I like their opening blurb:
"A Classic Has Been Augmented" :D

brb, reinstalling Deus Ex
Kids of today, no willpower!

PS can an icon burn a hole in your monitor? I definitely see smoke rising from the Civ4 guy…

Sarafan

Community Contributor
There's a lot of games that I can replay forever. Most notable are Bladur's Gate 2, Neverwinter Nights: Hordes of the Underdark and... Quake 1! The first title is legendary and basically everything was already said about it. I prefer the Enhanced Edition for the UI improvements and zoom feature that it introduces.

NWN: HotU is an interesting example though. Single player NWN experience in overall isn't as good as in BG2, but the HotU epic level campaign is of highest quality and we can surely say that there's a glimpse of old BioWare's genius there.

The first Quake is also a legend. Its strongest point is the dark and gloomy atmosphere, but there's balance in it. You don't feel overwhelmed. You just push through the marvelously designed levels and shoot everything that comes in your way. It's a different experience than the modern Doom games however. Considering that a remaster was released recently, it's a good occasion to jump into the game!

TRENDING THREADS