Weekend Question: What should boomer shooters be called?

Page 2 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
I'd call it 'Golden Era FPS' or 'Golden Era Shooter' which was the 90's and early 00's.

However, I am going through some of my 90's PC Gamer magazines and the term "Doom clones" was used by PCG a LOT to describe any FPS that wasn't Doom, yet came out after Doom, even System Shock and Descent, which were nothing like Doom other than having a first person perspective, haha.

Dang, my perspective on this went on a roller-coaster as I read the posts. :D First confused as to the existence of "boomer shooter" in general, then thinking it was about explosions, then the notion that it's a reference to Baby Boomers? I mean, my dad was a fairly young Baby Boomer, and he had zero interest in FPS's. Which is anecdotal, I know, but I really think 2.5D/3D gaming was primarily the purview of Gen X.

I'm just a handful of years away from being lumped into "Millennial", but I still have very clear memories of the release of Wolfenstein3D, Doom, Quake, Heretic, etc. And most of the programmers were fairly young (though older than me.) Heck, I was programming (mediocre) text adventures when I was 14-18. (By the time I was 19 the genre was seemingly dead and buried, only to resurrect several years later under the name Interactive Fiction. Or maybe it was always there and I just didn't know where to look. But I digress.)

If I were going to assign a label to any games as "Boomer," it would be the early arcade games (Galaga, Donkey Kong, Pac-Man, Asteroids), pinball, and text adventures. And Solitaire.

If I were going to assign a label to any games as "Boomer," it would be the early arcade games (Galaga, Donkey Kong, Pac-Man, Asteroids), pinball, and text adventures. And Solitaire.
Even those early arcade games don't really fit. I'm Gen-X, and I clearly remember those coming out. I think Boomer would be stuff like pinball (like you mentioned), darts, and pool/billiards. Man, I'm not even sure if Rogue would count, since it didn't come out until 1980.

Reactions: Pifanjr and Zloth
I bet there were some late Boomers still in college that had plenty of fun in the earliest arcades, and maybe movie theaters/Pizza Huts with a Space Invaders or Missile Command for folks to play while waiting. They are really more of an X thing, though.
My dad got into video games in the early days, and I guess he was a boomer. He was born in 1953. He got us a Magnavox Odyssey back in the day. I thought we were in heaven when we got an Intellivision.