Weekend Question: Do you ever set self-imposed challenges when playing videogames?

Page 2 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
I remember being at least two thirds of the way through Commandos 2, having meticulously spent every map gathering up health items in addition to everything else *that i'd actually use* :D to then for some reason stop and realize that healing items were a waste of time to me if i didn't take any damage. So much time wasted managing my Inventory! :p

Yep, I always found my no upgrade runs felt more fun, because I didn't have to waste time gathering resources for them. In Ghost Recon Wildlands that was a HUGE time saver. I think the only games I ever did no damage runs on was original Far Cry on Realistic, and original F.E.A.R. on Extreme.

I still have the videos of them saved to disc, but I did them so long ago when I was just learning how to capture that most of them are too low res for YouTube.

I managed to redo a few of them at barely good enough res to upload, but they are best viewed on YT's smallest viewer size or better yet, the embedded viewers on forums.

F.E.A.R. - Bad Water - Extreme

Far Cry - Training - Realistic

Far Cry - Fort - Realistic

Far Cry - Factory - Realistic

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Brian Boru
Great run! Memories—that one took me a few tries, and definitely not on Realistic.

Yeah I think the first parts were the hardest because I had to get in the snipe shots quick or they'd take cover and/or advance, and the first part inside required quickly spotting them and intermittently using NV, or it's battery would drain. Probably the part that made me most nervous though was when I took cover on the catwalk to catch them coming through the door, the last guy decided to come through the far door to the left. Fortunately when I raised up over cover I spotted him quick enough to get in a fast kill shot.

The bit using the turret on the 4WD in Training and using the mounted minigun at the end of Fort were dicey parts too.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2023
Visit site
A few times. I've done the one-city and always-war challenges in Civ 3 (never at the same time, though), have done playthroughs of Vice City and San Andreas only using one weapon (except for the ones forced on the player in certain missions), and currently enjoy playing RDR2 without the HUD. I've played it so much over the last four years it's not that big a challenge, at least in some areas.

A few times. I've done the one-city and always-war challenges in Civ 3 (never at the same time, though), have done playthroughs of Vice City and San Andreas only using one weapon (except for the ones forced on the player in certain missions), and currently enjoy playing RDR2 without the HUD. I've played it so much over the last four years it's not that big a challenge, at least in some areas.
I may have done a pistol only challenge run of GTA 4 then (well not really but unintentionally, basically) :D getting head-/tireshots was trivial so i probably only felt the need to use an Uzi when i had to destroy a car during a chase.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2023
Visit site
I may have done a pistol only challenge run of GTA 4 then (well not really but unintentionally, basically) :D getting head-/tireshots was trivial so i probably only felt the need to use a Uzi when i had to destroy a car during a chase.
Yep! The same is true in RDR2 -- when dead eye is equipped, I don't really need anything else. I think the Uzi was my weapon of choice in the Vice City run. Vice City also had so many weapon pickups that I NEVER paid for ammunition in that game.

Any stealth game where perfect non-lethal stealth is possible... I have to do it. The best power in Dishonered for me was a hidden one on its own keybinds: the quick save/load buttons. I am NOT good at stealth games however, so inevitably plates I started spinning early on come tend to come crashing down halfway through my run, causing me to come up with more and more elaborate fixes. Hurling bottles and firing crossbow bolts every which way to cause whatever distraction I could.

Inevitably, someone would discover my closet full of tranquilized guards just after a quick load, causing me to have to restart the whole level and try again. I think I've beaten the first 3 levels in the first game and that's it.

Jul 27, 2023
Visit site
Any stealth game where perfect non-lethal stealth is possible... I have to do it. The best power in Dishonered for me was a hidden one on its own keybinds: the quick save/load buttons. I am NOT good at stealth games however, so inevitably plates I started spinning early on come tend to come crashing down halfway through my run, causing me to come up with more and more elaborate fixes. Hurling bottles and firing crossbow bolts every which way to cause whatever distraction I could.

Inevitably, someone would discover my closet full of tranquilized guards just after a quick load, causing me to have to restart the whole level and try again. I think I've beaten the first 3 levels in the first game and that's it.
I do that for Hitman, especially the newer ones. There's this weird pleasure in memorizing a map and all the schedules/reactions to manipulate them in juuuust the right way.

Recently I have been doing a challenge in CSGO where I am shooting all I can without hitting anyone. I just love to see the reaction from other players when I use a machine gun and miss every bullet. At the start, everyone tries to kill me, but when the round is halfway finished more and more people realize that I am not a threat. Then they start to show more of their individuality, like one of the guys trying to help me to shoot better or those who just love to laugh at how bad I am at the game.

I also try to do knife-only challenges and it is fun when you meet a guy who respects that and goes in for a knife fight with you. Unfortuantly, 50% of the time one of us gets shot by other players:D

Recently I have been doing a challenge in CSGO where I am shooting all I can without hitting anyone. I just love to see the reaction from other players when I use a machine gun and miss every bullet. At the start, everyone tries to kill me, but when the round is halfway finished more and more people realize that I am not a threat. Then they start to show more of their individuality, like one of the guys trying to help me to shoot better or those who just love to laugh at how bad I am at the game.

I also try to do knife-only challenges and it is fun when you meet a guy who respects that and goes in for a knife fight with you. Unfortuantly, 50% of the time one of us gets shot by other players:D
are there solo modes in CSGO ? I can imagine Your team mates getting annoyed at You eventually.

are there solo modes in CSGO ? I can imagine Your team mates getting annoyed at You eventually.
DM casual free is what I play. In that mode, everyone is against everyone so you can basically play as you like. In every match, people idle on them for farming crates so that should tell you something about how serious the mode is. I do wonder why they don't jump on an idle server for just that but to each his own.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts