Watcha playing this weekend? Oct 30-31

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure how much I'll play this weekend. Got a Covid booster shot yesterday and kind of feel like trash at the moment, plus I had to travel with work last week and now I'm behind on other things.

Still really haven't gotten very far in Far Cry 6, mostly because my son wanted to play Craftopia instead this week whenever we had a moment. But I think we've gone about as far as we can go in Craftopia until the next major update.

I've got that Ubisoft+ subscription, so I thought I'd try out Riders Republic. I've never really enjoyed a Ubisoft racing game, so my expectations couldn't possibly be lower.

But what I'd really like to play is Solasta. Plus, I think that's more my speed until I feel better.

Still playing Diablo 2 Resurrected. I love the game, but I'm reaching a point that I feel I may need to a more story rich game for awhile, and just take a break from the constant combat and inventory management. Mass Effect Legendary Ed is calling to me, but I'm holding out for a few mods I used with the original ME games that have yet to be converted.

Not sure how much I'll play this weekend. Got a Covid booster shot yesterday and kind of feel like trash at the moment
Hope you're feeling better. I wasn't aware that the Covid boosters had any side effects. I've got to wait until December to get the Moderna Covoid booster, as I've read that it should be 6 months after the 2nd shot of the original.

Hope you're feeling better. I wasn't aware that the Covid boosters had any side effects. I've got to wait until December to get the Moderna Covoid booster, as I've read that it should be 6 months after the 2nd shot of the original.

OT, but Moderna booster dose is less than the original dosages, so if you had any reactions the first time, it should be less this time around. My second Moderna knocked me out with fatigue and a high fever for about 48 hours. This booster wasn't nearly as bad. The fever I was running last night went away this morning. Just have a bit of fatigue now. Not too bad.

Reactions: mainer and Pifanjr
Usual, Far Cry 5 :)

Sadly it seems that the Resistance mod only gets rid of the capture parties, not the actual bunker encounters that follow them. I have "Meet with…" missions sitting there for each of the 3 Seed kids. I tried one and it was the same encounter as I recall from earlier—I made it thru on the 3rd attempt by running rather than stopping for gunfights.

So I'm going to clear all the rest of the jobs before I go back to the Meet with… missions, and decide if I want to endure them for the sake of finishing the game.

I wish I could have the 45/70 AR in every game. It's a single-shot rifle, but you can bang-bang-bang as quick as you can tap the mouse button. There's no sway, so it can pick off headshots from a long way—sniper rifle is only necessary for making farther targets visible with its stronger scope. I did swap the SBM? sniper for the SA-50, can't beat the quicker firing rate, especially for planes.

Aircraft have ceased to be an annoyance, now I'm sure to drop a plane with 1-3 quick sniper shots, or pick off a distant chopper same, or a nearby chopper with the grenade launcher. Otherwise I try to not use the grenade launcher, it makes ground skirmishes too easy. I prefer to pick off the guys in the truck individually with the AR rather than blow them all together.

Ran into the truck convoy—destroying it is a side mission—and it was a piece of cake with the grenade launcher, so it really is over-powered for normal combat. I'll probably use it for the other 2 convoy missions too—boats and choppers—as long as I can bump into them on my travels. Otherwise it'll need a chopper to hunt the boats, and… I'm not sure what for the chopper convoy.

Anyway, good fun :)

dddd
—and it was a piece of cake with the grenade launcher, so it really is over-powered for normal combat.
There's a DLC for 5 called something like "Lost on Mars". We bought that about halfway through our second playthrough, and the weapons showed up in the regular game. Crazy OP. They all have infinite ammo. I don't remember what they all do, but one was a rifle that one-shot everyone and firing from the hip was just as accurate as looking down the sites. I think I remember you saying you play on Easy, so maybe the one-shot isn't as big a deal, but there's also one that is a pistol rocket launcher, and one, I think, had homing missiles. I killed a lot of people, including Hurk on multiple occasions, with that pistol rocket launcher.

By the way, I responded a couple of times in the Far Cry 6 thread. I'm coming around to it. We had a great time playing it today. I'm just an old far who doesn't like change :)

Apart from the current usual (Sekiro and Battle Brothers) I played a bit of Donut County with my daughter. It makes her laugh and its such a simple game to get used to using a controller with, only using the left stick. Recommended if you happen to have a little one.

Gaming with kids is the absolute best. Going to miss my co-op partners when they are gone. Both my daughter and my son started gaming with Wizard101, which has simplified kb/m controls. W101 has an amazing story, completely voice acted, that kids really love if you ever want to check that one out. Don't know how young your daughter is, but I'm guessing she would need to be at least 3 or 4 to really get anything out of it. The little ones usually stay in the first 2 or 3 worlds. After that, the combat gets more complicated and is usually over their heads unless you are playing along with them to help them out, but there's a ton of content in those first worlds.

Gaming with kids is the absolute best. Going to miss my co-op partners when they are gone. Both my daughter and my son started gaming with Wizard101, which has simplified kb/m controls. W101 has an amazing story, completely voice acted, that kids really love if you ever want to check that one out. Don't know how young your daughter is, but I'm guessing she would need to be at least 3 or 4 to really get anything out of it. The little ones usually stay in the first 2 or 3 worlds. After that, the combat gets more complicated and is usually over their heads unless you are playing along with them to help them out, but there's a ton of content in those first worlds.

Shes 3.5 not quite able to play beyond moving around a character or object on the screen and laughing at it yet, but its coming. I think Wizard 101 and using the kb+m is a bit advanced just yet but I may well check it out in a while and see if she shows any interest, thanks!

Shes 3.5 not quite able to play beyond moving around a character or object on the screen and laughing at it yet, but its coming. I think Wizard 101 and using the kb+m is a bit advanced just yet but I may well check it out in a while and see if she shows any interest, thanks!

Yeah, it's hard for me to remember how my kids were at those ages. She may be a year or so away.

Reactions: Kaamos_Llama
Yeah, it's hard for me to remember how my kids were at those ages. She may be a year or so away.
Wont be long I expect but I'm not gonna push her. Controllers are a bit big for her hands yet and mouse and keyboard probably needs a lot more fine control.

She likes to sit with my while I play something like Ori and watch, and I'm looking for easier things to help her get started as I think a bit of gaming is good for development in a lot of different ways.

Thinking about your two mistresses?

Lost on Mars
Yeah, tried those weapons, talk about OP!! Dropped 'em pretty quick.

Aircraft have ceased to be an annoyance
Heard of the commentator's curse? Got shredded by a chopper today when my first grenade missed—while I was cockily standing in the open.

the other 2 convoy missions too—boats and choppers
Couldn't find the boats easily, so hopped in a chopper—too easy. Decided to mix it up with the chopper convoy too, just to see how quickly they'd shred me and if they'd strafe my wingsuit escape. Too easy—I strafed 'em from well above and behind, they never even fired a shot *shrug*

Grr, ran into a known bug in the "Sins of the Father" mission, where Feeney doesn't appear—it's the one where you take over a stronghold and burn 3 Bliss crops. This is supposed to bring their chief chemist Feeney rushing to the place, where you zap him to finish the mission. I wonder is it because I already visited his residence—where he hides after SotF—and probably visited his bunker too?

Oh yeah, toured around in chopper to see if I could get road-kill with it. No Joy, I guess I'll try a quad next, should be nimbler than a truck—but weaker. Maybe I'll hide atop a cliff and wait for an antler guy to walk by below—does it count if I bail out and chute half-way down?
Geronimo!!

• Haha
Reactions: ZedClampet
Oh yeah, toured around in chopper to see if I could get road-kill with it. No Joy, I guess I'll try a quad next, should be nimbler than a truck—but weaker. Maybe I'll hide atop a cliff and wait for an antler guy to walk by below—does it count if I bail out and chute half-way down?
Geronimo!!

Sounds like you are doing great overall, but you are probably the only person in the world who can't get road kill in FC5. They are all over the place, standing still in the road, etc.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Apart from the current usual (Sekiro and Battle Brothers) I played a bit of Donut County with my daughter. It makes her laugh and its such a simple game to get used to using a controller with, only using the left stick. Recommended if you happen to have a little one.

I've been trying to get my daughter interested in video games, but she hasn't gotten much further than scrolling through the perk list in Skyrim and walking into the water in A Short Hike. I did download Putt Putt from archive.org, but we haven't tried that yet.

I've been trying to get my daughter interested in video games, but she hasn't gotten much further than scrolling through the perk list in Skyrim and walking into the water in A Short Hike. I did download Putt Putt from archive.org, but we haven't tried that yet.
Mine like to watch me play things like Ori and Deaths Door sometimes, asks for it herself without prompting too. She also likes to run around in Mario Odyssey and just throw the hat at stuff to see how it reacts herself.

Donut County is the first time shes actively played a game rather then just messing about and giggling. Baby steps :)

Reactions: Pifanjr
Not technically this weekend, but since a lot of people are hung over after partying all night for Halloween and may have called in sick this Mon, I figure it kinda counts as part of the weekend.

After avoiding it somewhat, I finally jumped back into RE Village yesterday. I actually made some good progress this time, and beat my first real boss fight. Now it seems I'm right back to being stuck again though. This game IMO is WAY too much about searching for things and solving puzzles. Yeah, I know, it's always been part of RE, but it just seems unbalanced here.

I thought I had gotten somewhere when I found the part to make the 2 winged key a 4 winged key, only to find (via net searching) that the 4 winged gate needs an "unborn" version of the 4 winged key. Are you KIDDING me? No, what I think I need is an un-fuddled version of a horror game, it's like they were drunk when they made this title! :rolleyes:

Hey CAPCOM, this is not the way to make a horror game. It greatly takes away from the flow and immersion when the player is constantly interrupted with these fetch and solve tasks, and it somewhat dumbs it down to the feel of a mere adventure game. It's more the tedious pace than difficulty that makes me reluctant to come back to this game, as almost all sessions playing it end with a lot of dead ends after searching and searching. :(

Last edited:
More Skyrim. Woo.

Starting to hit a wall now, getting that itch to either start a new character and go full mage, or abandon it completely for something else in my pile of shame.

I played a bit of Donut County with my daughter. It makes her laugh and its such a simple game to get used to using a controller with, only using the left stick. Recommended if you happen to have a little one.

Thanks for this, I've got a daughter around the same age and I've been looking for something extra simple to start familiarising her with a controller since she's my best hope for a co-op partner in the right timezone. Looks perfect.

Not technically this weekend, but since a lot of people are hung over after partying all night for Halloween and may have called in sick this Mon, I figure it kinda counts as part of the weekend.

After avoiding it somewhat, I finally jumped back into RE Village yesterday. I actually made some good progress this time, and beat my first real boss fight. Now it seems I'm right back to being stuck again though. This game IMO is WAY too much about searching for things and solving puzzles. Yeah, I know, it's always been part of RE, but it just seems unbalanced here.

I thought I had gotten somewhere when I found the part to make the 2 winged key a 4 winged key, only to find (via net searching) that the 4 winged gate needs an "unborn" version of the 4 winged key. Are you KIDDING me? No, what I think I need is an un-fuddled version of a horror game, it's like they were drunk when they made this title! :rolleyes:

Hey CAPCOM, this is not the way to make a horror game. It greatly takes away from the flow and immersion when the player is constantly interrupted with these fetch and solve tasks, and it somewhat dumbs it down to the feel of a mere adventure game. It's more the tedious pace than difficulty that makes me reluctant to come back to this game, as almost all sessions playing it end with a lot of dead ends after searching and searching. :(

You know the map tells you when you've found everything in an area? The building turns blue, I think. I got a little stuck a couple of times early in my first playthrough until I realized that.

You know the map tells you when you've found everything in an area? The building turns blue, I think. I got a little stuck a couple of times early in my first playthrough until I realized that.
Yeah, I knew that, as that's how it's been in their past games. I progressed quite a ways in yesterday's session, and I also found a non unborn 4 winged key gate I missed, so I got a lot done. I took out two more of the 4 bosses, but one seemed more like child's play than a fight, was kinda laughable. I really liked the puzzle to turn on the power in fighting the water monster, but I fear I spent too much valuable ammo finishing it off. I made it to the stronghold afterward, but Heisenberg is proving very tough for the little health and ammo I have left. I actually forgot I had a few rounds left for my Magnum though.

Right now I've backtracked to The Duke at the center of the village to sell off some valuables and do some upgrades. I'm currently trying to find a way to get some incendiary rounds for the lamp puzzle where the swinging lamp is on a very long chain, but the last pedestal lamp that need be lit to get the valuables is out of reach in another room. I figured you needed an incendiary round for the grenade launcher to light it.

Part of where I spent too much ammo was on the fight with the big axe guy that summonses the winged creatures (Samcas). I kinda panicked and finished him off with a few Magnum rounds. I don't know why I wasn't more patient, as it was pretty easy to duck into the hallway at the side of the room in between shots, where he couldn't reach me. Near there, at the place where you open a gate to enter the stronghold, I was really hoping I could pick up a bow and eventually option to craft fire arrows when I saw Lycans shooting them. Would have been a nice way to light that lamp.

The main issues I have with this game is the tedious searching and puzzle solving, the huge imbalance between bosses, some being too easy, some being so tough you must save powerful ammo for them, and the world being set up so maze-like it causes lots of dead ends and backtracking. Other than that, it's got some pretty good action in it, but unfortunately it's very limited by these other problems to the point it's not nearly as immersive as it could be.

dddddd
Yeah, I knew that, as that's how it's been in their past games. I progressed quite a ways in yesterday's session, and I also found a non unborn 4 winged key gate I missed, so I got a lot done. I took out two more of the 4 bosses, but one seemed more like child's play than a fight, was kinda laughable. I really liked the puzzle to turn on the power in fighting the water monster, but I fear I spent too much valuable ammo finishing it off. I made it to the stronghold afterward, but Heisenberg is proving very tough for the little health and ammo I have left. I actually forgot I had a few rounds left for my Magnum though.

Right now I've backtracked to The Duke at the center of the village to sell off some valuables and do some upgrades. I'm currently trying to find a way to get some incendiary rounds for the lamp puzzle where the swinging lamp is on a very long chain, but the last pedestal lamp that need be lit to get the valuables is out of reach in another room. I figured you needed an incendiary round for the grenade launcher to light it.

Part of where I spent too much ammo was on the fight with the big axe guy that summonses the winged creatures (Samcas). I kinda panicked and finished him off with a few Magnum rounds. I don't know why I wasn't more patient, as it was pretty easy to duck into the hallway at the side of the room in between shots, where he couldn't reach me. Near there, at the place where you open a gate to enter the stronghold, I was really hoping I could pick up a bow and eventually option to craft fire arrows when I saw Lycans shooting them. Would have been a nice way to light that lamp.

The main issues I have with this game is the tedious searching and puzzle solving, the huge imbalance between bosses, some being too easy, some being so tough you must save powerful ammo for them, and the world being set up so maze-like it causes lots of dead ends and backtracking. Other than that, it's got some pretty good action in it, but unfortunately it's very limited by these other problems to the point it's not nearly as immersive as it could be.

I quite enjoyed it myself. I only played on Normal, though. Didn't have any problems with bosses until I showed up at the final boss with no healing and barely any ammo (but all my Magnum ammo). You're basically there yourself. I died a few times to her because of not having any health pots. I didn't realize that The Duke was actually available right outside. You don't find him unless you look for him, and I didn't find him until my second playthrough on a higher difficulty.

Last edited:
dddddd

I quite enjoyed it myself. I only played on Normal, though. Didn't have any problems with bosses until I showed up at the final boss with no healing and barely any ammo (but all my Magnum ammo). You're basically almost there yourself. You won't get many more chances to grab ammo or health. I died a few times to her because of not having any health pots. I didn't realize that The Duke was actually available right outside. You don't find him unless you look for him, and I didn't find him until my second playthrough on a higher difficulty.
Yeah I'm playing on normal too, what they call Standard actually. This is my first play through though, so it's definitely been a learning experience. Any hints about how to light that lamp, or did you get it lit at all? I spent a lot of time laughing at how easy it was with just the knife to keep swatting at the swinging lamp to set on fire and kill the Moroaica's that keep spawning one at a time, but eventually I got bored with the silliness of it all.

It's been said by those who've done video clips on the game, even in places where you have to swing these confounded fire lamps to light others, that the controls in this game are a bit "wonky". IMO they are WAY too wonky, and that's one of the things I dislike most about it. There are many times I've reloaded a checkpoint because I wasted rounds when the aim camera hitched ever so slightly as I was panning to shoot, which is often necessary to do to line up shots given the way some enemies move.

Then again, I guess RE in general doesn't have a great track record for good mouse aim support, and it dates back to Shinji Mikami's insistence on making RE4 for gamepads only. CAPCOM themselves in fact didn't cave to finally giving RE4 mouse support until a whopping TEN YEARS after it's release with the remastered version. I hate it when devs treat KB/M support as if it's a trivial afterthought.

I'm scratching my head at how you managed to wind up with full Magnum ammo after the 4th boss. I'm wondering if even 3 rounds is enough to finish him off with the limited grenade launcher rounds and pipe bombs I have. Just my luck the Lycan goons I had to fight through to open the gate to get to the stronghold will spawn back in when I go back there, it wouldn't surprise me a bit.

Last edited:
There are many times I've reloaded a checkpoint because I wasted rounds when the aim camera hitched ever so slightly as I was panning to shoot

Honestly never had the aim camera hitch.

As for the light puzzle, yeah I worked all the puzzles, but I'm having a hard time figuring out which one you are talking about. Do you mean the one where you are trying to get the artifact from the tomb and one pedestal is behind a partially broken wall? If it's that one, you have to blow up the wall first. If that's the wrong puzzle, maybe it will help if I tell you to shoot the braziers with your pistol instead of slapping them with your knife? Dunno. I've probably played 50 games since then. Maybe it will come to me which one you are talking about.

As for ammo, my survival horror philosophy is to always aim for the head or the weak spot. I never shoot anything anywhere else. And I generally empty my pistol first and then move up from there. If it's a really bad situation, I jerk the shotgun out. But the most important gun for me in RE games tends to be the sniper rifle. I usually upgrade it the most as soon as I can. I usually have lots of ammo left over, but I didn't after the 4th boss because I had a bad time of it in the section immediately prior to the fight. The 4th boss basically goes straight to the final boss except for something I won't spoil for you.

I'm going to see if I can find a list of the brazier puzzles to jog my memory there.

Yeah I'm playing on normal too, what they call Standard actually. This is my first play through though, so it's definitely been a learning experience. Any hints about how to light that lamp, or did you get it lit at all? I spent a lot of time laughing at how easy it was with just the knife to keep swatting at the swinging lamp to set on fire and kill the Moroaica's that keep spawning one at a time, but eventually I got bored with the silliness of it all.

Wait, are you talking about the very first lamp puzzle? You're doing it right. Just don't kill them. Set them on fire and let them go. They'll eventually stagger into the brazier you need to light and light it for you. Or maybe you need to shoot the brazier to get it closer to them once they are on fire and go to that room. I don't remember. But the first step is to set the guy on fire and let him keep walking. Sorry, I have problems remember game details after awhile. Don't know why.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pifanjr
Oct 31, 2021
Visit site
I usually have lots of ammo left over, but I didn't after the 4th boss because I had a bad time of it in the section immediately prior to the fight.

lol I remember why you had no ammo and heals. Right before the 4th boss, you decided to activate an optional boss, so you had 3 boss fights in a row.

@Frag Maniac you have to shoot the brazier to make it hit the burning enemy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS