Upgrade or no upgrade

Nov 1, 2023
Visit site
I find myself in a rather unfortunate situation with my current PC. It's a bit of a relic, equipped with an ageing AMD FX 6300 CPU, an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB, and a mere 32 GB of DDR3 RAM. I'm not exactly a hardcore gamer, but I do have a deep desire to immerse myself in the world of Farming Simulator 22. However, my poor PC is letting me down, as the frame rate is nothing short of atrocious.

In a desperate attempt to salvage my gaming dreams, I decided to run a system scan to determine if my PC could meet the minimum specifications for the game. To my dismay, the results were disheartening – my CPU was deemed too slow, and I was advised to upgrade to an AMD FX-8320 or better.

I did a bit of research and discovered that the recommended CPU upgrade would cost me in the ballpark of £150-£190, a sum I'm finding quite challenging to afford. This puts me in a bit of a predicament, leaving me to ponder whether it's worth making this investment or if it would simply be a futile waste of my limited funds. You see, I'm not exactly swimming in money, and every penny counts.

Thank you

Reactions: Brian Boru
Welcome to the forum :)

• RECOMMENDED:
    • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    • Processor: Intel Core i5-5675C or AMD Ryzen 5 1600 or better
    • Memory: 8 GB RAM
    • Graphics: GeForce GTX 1060 or Radeon RX 570 or better (min 6GB VRAM)
    • DirectX: Version 11
    • Network: Broadband Internet connection
    • Storage: 35 GB available space
    • Sound Card: Sound card
a mere 32 GB of DDR3 RAM

DDR3 might be a bottleneck—what say you, experts?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Welcome to the forum :)

• RECOMMENDED:
    • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    • Processor: Intel Core i5-5675C or AMD Ryzen 5 1600 or better
    • Memory: 8 GB RAM
    • Graphics: GeForce GTX 1060 or Radeon RX 570 or better (min 6GB VRAM)
    • DirectX: Version 11
    • Network: Broadband Internet connection
    • Storage: 35 GB available space
    • Sound Card: Sound card

DDR3 might be a bottleneck—what say you, experts?
For the FX series of CPUs, DDR3 is what it is. This old platform is limited across the board.

Reactions: Brian Boru
I see you have a gtx 1060 with only 3gb ram , if you are on a limited budget you could just the card with a gtx 1080 , i got the zotac gtx 1080 put in a custom built rig 7 years ago , the card cost me £800 as i was one of the first in the queue but you can now pick it up for as little as £150.

It has never let me down and i have seen postings of players who have better systems than mine that are struggling to run certain games , a typical example of this is the game SATISFACTORY , since they upgraded to unreal engine 5 lots of users with high end cards are having crashes all the time.

NOTE .... if you decide to go for a gtx 1080 make sure your power supply is big enough and email the mobo maker to see if it can handle it.

Nov 1, 2023
Visit site
I see you have a gtx 1060 with only 3gb ram , if you are on a limited budget you could just the card with a gtx 1080 , i got the zotac gtx 1080 put in a custom built rig 7 years ago , the card cost me £800 as i was one of the first in the queue but you can now pick it up for as little as £150.

It has never let me down and i have seen postings of players who have better systems than mine that are struggling to run certain games , a typical example of this is the game SATISFACTORY , since they upgraded to unreal engine 5 lots of users with high end cards are having crashes all the time.

NOTE .... if you decide to go for a gtx 1080 make sure your power supply is big enough and email the mobo maker to see if it can handle it.
Thank you, I will look into this.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i3-10100F 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor (£63.99 @ Ebuyer)
Motherboard: Gigabyte H410M H V2 Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard (£61.98 @ Ebuyer)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (£35.99 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £161.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-11-01 15:51 GMT+0000

Just for reference what you could get for the same money if you were willing to buld a little yourself. This would be many times faster than the FX8320 in Farming Simulator.

The GTX 1060 3GB is the best part of your rig, putting anything faster with it will be a waste IMO

Nov 1, 2023
Visit site
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i3-10100F 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor (£63.99 @ Ebuyer)
Motherboard: Gigabyte H410M H V2 Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard (£61.98 @ Ebuyer)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (£35.99 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £161.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-11-01 15:51 GMT+0000

Just for reference what you could get for the same money if you were willing to buld a little yourself. This would be many times faster than the FX8320 in Farming Simulator.

The GTX 1060 3GB is the best part of your rig, putting anything faster with it will be a waste IMO
Thank you

Reactions: Kaamos_Llama

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts