Question Trying to find a viable modern replacement for my gaming keyboard form 2012

Jun 15, 2020
Visit site
My old Cherry MX Red gaming keyboard (Cooler Master CM Storm Trigger from 2012) is starting to bite the dust, and I can only try to clean and repair it so many times (especially since it's not easy to open or replace components) so I am trying to find a modern equivalent, issue is nothing seems to have some of the features I want, nothing gaming anyway. And non-gaming keyboards lack some gaming features I want.

Main things I want are it being a full 101 key keyboard, has backlighting (per-key RGB would be a nice plus), and a removable USB cable. Dedicated media and/or macro keys would be a plus but not required. Just about all gaming keyboards seem to lack having a removable cable, and just about all non-gaming centric mechanical keyboards with a removable cable lack the backlighting (to say nothing of lacking per-RGB programmable backlighting).

I also understand that there is some new type of keys replacing mechanical switches now? Optical and hall effect? Are those any good? I preferred Cherry MX Red anyway so I don't mind there being no force before you actuate the key. There seem to be almost no keyboards that use hall effect though, the SteelSeries Apex Pro appears to be the only one (at least, only gaming keyboard with them) but that and the backlighting is about all it has... no removable USB, no dedicated anything keys.... and a high pricetag. Plus there is the software, which from my understanding is very bloated and requires a freaking account/login to use just to configure your keyboard! The Corsair K75 was another one I was looking into, although I am unfamiliar with the software and it's mechanical instead of optical or hall effect, yet costs about as much as the SteelSeries hall effect keyboard.

Are there any other recommendations? Of Cherry MX Red (or any modern equivalent), optical, or hall effect? Are there any good ones that are more easily repairable than this old thing I have? (I recall some had socketed switches, but from my understanding those are proprietary and not some standard)

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2023
Visit site
My old Cherry MX Red gaming keyboard (Cooler Master CM Storm Trigger from 2012) is starting to bite the dust, and I can only try to clean and repair it so many times (especially since it's not easy to open or replace components) so I am trying to find a modern equivalent, issue is nothing seems to have some of the features I want, nothing gaming anyway. And non-gaming keyboards lack some gaming features I want.

Main things I want are it being a full 101 key keyboard, has backlighting (per-key RGB would be a nice plus), and a removable USB cable. Dedicated media and/or macro keys would be a plus but not required. Just about all gaming keyboards seem to lack having a removable cable, and just about all non-gaming centric mechanical keyboards with a removable cable lack the backlighting (to say nothing of lacking per-RGB programmable backlighting).

I also understand that there is some new type of keys replacing mechanical switches now? Optical and hall effect? Are those any good? I preferred Cherry MX Red anyway so I don't mind there being no force before you actuate the key. There seem to be almost no keyboards that use hall effect though, the SteelSeries Apex Pro appears to be the only one (at least, only gaming keyboard with them) but that and the backlighting is about all it has... no removable USB, no dedicated anything keys.... and a high pricetag. Plus there is the software, which from my understanding is very bloated and requires a freaking account/login to use just to configure your keyboard! The Corsair K75 was another one I was looking into, although I am unfamiliar with the software and it's mechanical instead of optical or hall effect, yet costs about as much as the SteelSeries hall effect keyboard.

Are there any other recommendations? Of Cherry MX Red (or any modern equivalent), optical, or hall effect? Are there any good ones that are more easily repairable than this old thing I have? (I recall some had socketed switches, but from my understanding those are proprietary and not some standard)
The Corsair K75 is a great keyboard for the price, i have the Corsair K100 now with the Cherry MX Red which is a fantastic keyboard but a little pricey.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Jun 15, 2020
Visit site
You might find something useful in the last link in my sig.

ETA: phones don't see sigs, do they? So here :)

Heh, I am on PC.

Have to admit though, most of those aren't what I am looking for. The closest is the Wooting Two HE which.... does not appear to be on Amazon anymore, in fact Amazon tries to recommend that SteelSeries one in place of it, did it get replaced?

The Corsair K75 is a great keyboard for the price, i have the Corsair K100 now with the Cherry MX Red which is a fantastic keyboard but a little pricey.

Oof, that K100 is... expensive. Seems like the main difference between the K70 and K100 (strangely I can't find any comparisons with the K75, even Google was trying to auto-correct K75 to K70) is that the K100 has an extra knob and dedicated macro keys? Is that it or are there other differences?

I also just realized, my current keyboard just BARELY fits in it's space, so I can't go with anything bigger. Cooler Master says it has a width of 18.70in/476 mm so I won't be able to use anything bigger. Pretty sure the majority of keyboards out there are smaller than this anyway though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts