The best PC controller 2020

Jan 13, 2020
Visit site
You should check out 8bitdo SN30 Pro+ controller. Made for Switch, but works perfectly well on Windows in Xinput mode. Has that classic SNES design with amazing D-pad but more ergonomic shape (very similar to Dualshock 4). It comes with a 1000mah rechargeable battery but also takes AA batteries. You can also buy a clip to use it with your phone. The software is also great. What can I say, this thing is the Swiss army knife of controllers. Definitely recommend it to anyone.

Reactions: Frindis

Inspireless Llama

Community Contributor
Are all controllers just Windows compatible nowadays? I have a xbox one controller which is just plug and play. I've tried a PS3 controller before but that was such a hassle to setup. I heard PS4 controllers were plug and play too.

James

Jan 13, 2020
Visit site
PS4 Controllers are I believe, but many games won't display the right symbols for the controller, so you'll have to know that Y = Triangle.

One benefit of PS4 controllers though is you can use them to remotely play your PS4 games on your PC.

Logitech F310 will be a buy for me. Cheap (I can get it for 21USD), sturdy and can be used on PS Now (which I am going to buy a monthly sub too soon). Not to mention it is very good for ROMS.

@iggy Interesting, I will have to check that one a bit closer.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2020
Visit site
I use a wired Xbox 360 controller. Sometimes I think about going wireless but its like $150 for an Xbox One controller and dongle, plus batteries. Doesn't make sense to upgrade to wireless as my 360 controller works perfectly fine.

Reactions: Geechie Dan
I use a wired Xbox 360 controller. Sometimes I think about going wireless but its like $150 for an Xbox One controller and dongle, plus batteries. Doesn't make sense to upgrade to wireless as my 360 controller works perfectly fine.
I think I paid around $20 for my dongle. I bought one because I wanted to use my Xbox One Elite controller, since I wasn't using my Xbox One anymore.

The newer controllers also work fine with bluetooth. I prefer wireless, because I have more than enough wires on my desk already.

Reactions: zSCHIZOz
May 5, 2020
Visit site
I'm really happy with my Xbox One controller, just simple plug and play... Had DS4 but gave me some problems with some games and sometimes wouldn't connect, but DS4 Windows app helped in those situations.

Hard disagree!

PS4 controllers are hands down better than XBOXs, mainly batteries. You need fricken batteries for xbox controllers which to me is so 10 years ago. Also, xbox controllers dont have the touchpad which is helpful to me when navigating my pc from the couch. I also think their more durable and like whats mentioned in the article, the number 1 controller is 160 dollars and still needs batteries, thats a huge dealbreaker for that.

Dec 7, 2020
Visit site
Hard disagree!

PS4 controllers are hands down better than XBOXs, mainly batteries. You need fricken batteries for xbox controllers which to me is so 10 years ago. Also, xbox controllers dont have the touchpad which is helpful to me when navigating my pc from the couch. I also think their more durable and like whats mentioned in the article, the number 1 controller is 160 dollars and still needs batteries, thats a huge dealbreaker for that.

You don't need batteries for the Xbox controller - you can plug it in. If you want to go wireless, there is the option of having a rechargeable battery for the Xbox controller.

I can't speak for the new PS controller, but PS4 and older are widely regarded as an inferior controller to use for FPS over the Xbox controller design (looking at the new design I don't see that as having had changed but ultimately I can't comment) which is a big draw back for me.

I shy away from the Elite/Elite 2 due to price vs durability - it's a really great controller while it's working fine but for the price of the controller it should last a lot longer than it does (trigger, stick and grip issues are extremely common - although the grips wouldn't be as much of a deal breaker for me as the other issues). After having gone through 2 Elite controllers, I've resigned to the typical Xbox controller.....going without the paddles can be frustrating but thankfully I'm playing very casually at the moment so it isn't affecting me like it would have in the past.

You don't need batteries for the Xbox controller - you can plug it in. If you want to go wireless, there is the option of having a rechargeable battery for the Xbox controller.

I tried this concept for a bit since i had an xbox controller to use, but its still needing to buy a rechargeable battery kit, not that its expensive, i know they arent but thats just something extra i have to do to go wireless. If and when my ps4 controller does start to die, i can plug it in for roughly 5 or so minutes right in front of me then unplug and im good for another hour at least. I just find that ps4 controllers have a longer full charge wirelessly as well. I always play wirelessly. I dont hate the xbox controller, they both feel real sturdy, the battery concept is really the only thing that throws me off next to not having a touchsense pad.

I can't speak for the new PS controller, but PS4 and older are widely regarded as an inferior controller to use for FPS over the Xbox controller design (looking at the new design I don't see that as having had changed but ultimately I can't comment) which is a big draw back for me.

I'm actually awaiting the new one, so ill update when i do use it, see if it works as well as ps4/xbox controllers etc.

Having used both for FPS i still prefer dualshocks, mainly that it fits more comfortable in my hands than the xbox, so when i need quick responses to using the thumbsticks, its easier on a dualshock. but i didnt really notice much of a difference between how well i did using them, if i died its just mainly from playing bad, not so much i wasnt able to shoot them using a controller, this is why im looking forward to using the ps5 controller, i wanna see how responsive everything is.

Reactions: Original

TRENDING THREADS