Confused and Questions Regarding 8bitdo Controllers / Gamepads For PC

Apr 9, 2024
Visit site
I've done lots of research on controller / gamepad manufacturer 8bitdo's website, review articles, reddit, videos, gaming forums, etc. but I still am confused and have questions regarding their controllers. I have also contacted them last week but with no reply yet so I figured I'd ask around for some input, opinions, thoughts, etc.

My Goals
  • All controllers are to be used with PC gaming ONLY. Some games are old (early 2000s), some games are new. No other "systems" matter, only PC.
  • 1x 8bitdo wireless Ultimate Controller (hall effect sticks) and 1x 8bitdo wireless Pro 2 controller (hall effect sticks) for majority of games. I'd like 1 of each so that others (myself included) have the option to choose if they like better the XB or PS style left-stick / d-pad layout and overall controller shape.
  • 2x 8bitdo wireless M30 controllers. I need these mainly for fighting games (Eg. Street Fighter 2).
Requirements or preferences
  • all controllers must be capable of Dinput and Xinput since, I think, lots of older games work with Dinput and not Xinput and vice-versa for many newer games.
  • I'd prefer if all wireless modes are 2.4 GHz
Questions (all questions are only regarding the Ultimate, Pro 2, and M30 models)
  1. I've heard so many conflicting reports about features and capabilities regarding 8bitdo controllers, one of them is that the Bluetooth feature is useless for PC gaming since the Bluetooth is "locked" to only Stream Decks, some mobile phones (conflicting reports about this too), and the Nintendo Switch. Is that true?
  2. I also heard that the 2.4G-only controllers can, now in fact, also be connected using BT via a firmware upgrade. Is this true? I know the BT Ultimate also comes with 2.4G but does the 2.4G-only version now also allow BT connection (via firmware upgrade)?
  3. Why are the X,Y and A,B buttons reversed on the 2.4G/BT and 2.4-only Ultimates (and possibly other models)? Is it just a cosmetic thing (the physical button top itself) or will games actually think the buttons are reversed too?
  4. I noticed that the 8bitdo web site states Xinput and Dinput capability on lots of the 2.4G-only controllers but only states one or the other on many of the BT controllers. Does that mean BT models are forced to use only 1 or the other?
  5. I also heard that question 4 is false and therefore BT controllers can also switch between Xinput and Dinput, the only difference is that 2.4G-only controllers have a convenient button/switch to do so while the BT controllers require a special button-press combination to do so. Is this true?
  6. I found the "perfect" 6 button controller with 8bitdo's M30: classic 6-button layout with 4 shoulder buttons: 2 being analog triggers, 2 being standard shoulder buttons. The problem is that the wireless version removes the 2 analog triggers, you are forced to buy the wired version if you also want the 2 analog triggers. Is this some sort of mistake with the website or??? Why would the more expensive, wireless version "cut off" the analog triggers and make them only available for the wired? Other than the feature of 2.4G, and a higher price tag, why wouldn't everything else remain identical?
  7. Why can't I find the 2.4G-only or BT/2.4G version of the Pro 2 anywhere?
Please help me with my questions, concerns, and confusion. I'd really like to get some controllers / gamepads for PC. I love using a keyboard-and-mouse setup but some games, for me personally, are "better" with a gamepad/controller.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian Boru
Why are the X,Y and A,B buttons reversed on the 2.4G/BT and 2.4-only Ultimates (and possibly other models)? Is it just a cosmetic thing (the physical button top itself) or will games actually think the buttons are reversed too?
from what I can gather, the reversed layout is the Nintendo one. You need to use their software to swap the layouts.
link

I am so used to the Nintendo one I didn't notice it was different to my controller.I had to find it to look:
jJsonO4.jpg

I can't speculate on the other questions.

shame they don't have a support forum as some people there might know the answers. Did you try their reddit? link

Last edited:
I have an 8BitDo Pro 2 but I cant answer all your questions unfortunately. Whether the controller works in a game is mostly down to the game itself and Steam or whatever store youre using as far as I'm aware.
I've heard so many conflicting reports about features and capabilities regarding 8bitdo controllers, one of them is that the Bluetooth feature is useless for PC gaming since the Bluetooth is "locked" to only Stream Decks, some mobile phones (conflicting reports about this too), and the Nintendo Switch. Is that true?
I dont know if it works with Bluetooth on PC, Ive used a Sony DS4 controller for many years and Bluetooth never stays connected for more than a couple of days before I have to install it all again so Im just used to using it all wired through the front USB port because its easier.
  1. Why are the X,Y and A,B buttons reversed on the 2.4G/BT and 2.4-only Ultimates (and possibly other models)? Is it just a cosmetic thing (the physical button top itself) or will games actually think the buttons are reversed too?
It has a small switch with 4 settings. X is for PC (Xinput) and S is for Nintendo Switch. It connects to the Nintendo Switch easily without issue. If I forget to adjust the controller selection switch to X and use it on the PC the inputs still work but are mapped to the wrong buttons. It works just the same as my DS4 did otherwise, the mapping depends on whatever is selected physically on the controller far as I can tell.

Generally speaking its a really well built controller and Ive been very happy with it so far.

Apr 9, 2024
Visit site
from what I can gather, the reversed layout is the Nintendo one. You need to use their software to swap the layouts.
link

shame they don't have a support forum as some people there might know the answers. Did you try their reddit? link
That's another thing I don't understand...How are the buttons swapped from a gaming perspective? Aren't they both literally just a "random" button on the controller like any other input device with buttons? Isn't it just the letters themselves printed on the physical button that are different? In the end, don't all buttons have to be mapped anyways so there is never a true A,B,X,Y,LT,RT, etc.?

I tried the unofficial 8bitdo Reddit twice. One time asking just 1 or 2 basic questions. It got removed. The 2nd time, I posted what I posted here in the OP, it also got removed.

I have no idea what in the world the moderator's problem is. I'm literally just asking questions about 8bitd controllers/gamepads and they will not allow me to post. Since then, I also tried in 4 other PC gaming / PC tech Reddits and only 1 out of 4 DIDN'T get removed. What the??? One Reddit even banned me for a week. I have no idea what in the world is going on. So then I decided to post here and some other PC / gaming forums since, unlike Reddit, human beings can actually ask questions and discuss things here on "regular" forums.

Last edited:
the reddit isn't really official support for them so I guess they have no rules. Moderators can start to think they are the arbiters of truth. I can't answer for why they did what they did.

I don't use reddit a lot myself anymore... it used to be a good site but it became too popular and a lot of what I liked about it went away. I stopped going there for anything other that answers, years ago.

TRENDING THREADS