Suggestions for kid-friendly fighting games?

CParsons

Staff member
Over the holidays I spent some time with my younger cousins and it kind of dawned on me that I had no real kid-friendly fighting games. They pretty much were all a little too much for them, does anyone have any good suggestions for more kid-friendly options? Mainly looking in the 8+ range but any suggestions would help because I dunno what gets their attention. Thanks! :)

Reactions: Apollo and SWard

PCG Robin

Staff member
Dec 10, 2019
Visit site
Depends what you count as kid-friendly really.

If you're looking for simple and accessible, Divekick is great fun, reducing the entire concept of fighting games down to just two buttons. Gangbeasts is another great one for some easy, silly fun, though it's maybe more a wrestling game than a fighting game.

On the meatier side of things, Injustice 2 is on the more accessible end of mainstream fighting games, and features characters they probably already know and like. It's a little grim and dark but there's not really any blood, gore, or over-sexualised characters, and I don't remember any swearing even, so I'd have thought it'd be appropriate.

Reactions: Echo84 and CParsons

CParsons

Staff member
Depends what you count as kid-friendly really.

If you're looking for simple and accessible, Divekick is great fun, reducing the entire concept of fighting games down to just two buttons. Gangbeasts is another great one for some easy, silly fun, though it's maybe more a wrestling game than a fighting game.

On the meatier side of things, Injustice 2 is on the more accessible end of mainstream fighting games, and features characters they probably already know and like. It's a little grim and dark but there's not really any blood, gore, or over-sexualised characters, and I don't remember any swearing even, so I'd have thought it'd be appropriate.

Totally adding them both to my list! Thank you.

Jan 13, 2020
Visit site
The thing with fighting games for my kids is the complexity of the gameplay.

I've played Gangbeats with them and they get it and find it fun for a while.

Super smash bros on the other hand they enjoy for the content, but they're just smashing the controls really and I suck at it so they always win - I can't have that.

CParsons

Staff member
The thing with fighting games for my kids is the complexity of the gameplay.

I've played Gangbeats with them and they get it and find it fun for a while.

Super smash bros on the other hand they enjoy for the content, but they're just smashing the controls really and I suck at it so they always win - I can't have that.

Yeah, sucks getting owned by kids. My oldest takes great pride in letting me know how terrible I am at Fortnite.

Lego? I remember getting Lego Star Wars (the first)trilogy and it occupied my little brother for hours. When the saga came out, it was even more interesting. Then there's the rest of the Lego games. maybe that's what you can look into.

Though age will play a part in what you recommend to a "kid", since I'm a grown up "kid".

These look pretty kid friendly, to me. I haven't played a fighting game, in years.

Jan 14, 2020
Visit site
Over the holidays I spent some time with my younger cousins and it kind of dawned on me that I had no real kid-friendly fighting games. They pretty much were all a little too much for them, does anyone have any good suggestions for more kid-friendly options? Mainly looking in the 8+ range but any suggestions would help because I dunno what gets their attention. Thanks! :)
Divekick like the other poster mentioned, and maybe introduce the lads to emulation, by way of Nintendo's Smash Bros running on Dolphin? I can't believe we played Mortal Kombat when we were that age :tearsofjoy:

The Brawlhalla and Rivals of Aether suggestions also look rad.

Reactions: heru eko setiawan

Apollo

King Kong
Jan 13, 2020
Visit site
Divekick like the other poster mentioned, and maybe introduce the lads to emulation, by way of Nintendo's Smash Bros running on Dolphin? I can't believe we played Mortal Kombat when we were that age :tearsofjoy:

The Brawlhalla and Rivals of Aether suggestions also look rad.
Brawlhalla is really cool, and pretty simple and the Adventure Time, Rayman, and Steven Universe features could help with appealing to them

As a few before me mentioned, the first game that inevitably comes to mind is Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. It's very accessible, it features characters that they will know and love, and it's fast 'n flashy in all the right ways without ever looking or feeling violent.

Brawlhalla is basically a free-to-play indie adaptation of that exact style of fighter. The roster isn't as recognisable and in my opinion it is never going to look or play as good as Nintendo's original, but if you don't have access to a Nintendo Switch it can't hurt to give this one a try. It's free, after all.

Personally, I think I might give the nod to Lethal League and Lethal League Blaze (sequel). It's a fighting game of sorts where you and your opponent(s) hit an anti-gravity ball at each other until one of you gets hit. There's no limit to the speed the ball can pick up with each hit, so the action gets more frenetic constantly. It's really good fun!

Apollo

King Kong
Jan 13, 2020
Visit site
As a few before me mentioned, the first game that inevitably comes to mind is Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. It's very accessible, it features characters that they will know and love, and it's fast 'n flashy in all the right ways without ever looking or feeling violent.

Brawlhalla is basically a free-to-play indie adaptation of that exact style of fighter. The roster isn't as recognisable and in my opinion it is never going to look or play as good as Nintendo's original, but if you don't have access to a Nintendo Switch it can't hurt to give this one a try. It's free, after all.

Personally, I think I might give the nod to Lethal League and Lethal League Blaze (sequel). It's a fighting game of sorts where you and your opponent(s) hit an anti-gravity ball at each other until one of you gets hit. There's no limit to the speed the ball can pick up with each hit, so the action gets more frenetic constantly. It's really good fun!

I see Smash and Brawlhalla, but kids could get angry and call Lethal League broken or something since the game is inherently chaos

Reactions: heru eko setiawan

Apollo

King Kong
Jan 13, 2020
Visit site
Kids love chaos!
True, but there's 2 kinds of chaos. Controlled Chaos is like playing with toys or Minecraft. It's total chaos, but only when Ensign Wesley makes it so. Total Chaos is Pandora's box, and i think if a button mashing 7 yr old plays Lethal League, total chaos is gonna reign.

TRENDING THREADS