Question Stuttering in every game when fps drops.

Jul 31, 2020
Visit site
I bought a Asus VG278QR Gsync compatible monitor that has a refresh rate of 165hz. I Currently am using a Asus Rog strix 1070 and have a core i7 7700k at 4.5hz. I noticed in games when I dropped fps I would get stutters and Im not sure what to do or what is causing it. I have the latest drivers that are available as of right now. I tried seeing if Gsync was working so I enabled the indicator to show when its on and it says its on but its not smooth when FPS is below refresh rate. I am using two monitor but even If I unplug it, it doesn't help.I have been looking online but im not sure what could be the problem. I am trying to get a smooth experience without screen tearing or stuttering in games. I have gsync on with vsync on in nvidia control panel.

In what game or games?

How does it look with the Nvidia Pendulum demo?

Is the monitor set to 165hz in Nvidia Control Panel? If so, what about setting it to 144hz?

Try disabling vsync in Nvidia control panel, ensure vsync is disabled in games, and use Rivatuner Statistics Server (bundled as part of MSI Afterburner) to cap FPS to 130 (you can try different values, but for testing try well below the 144hz basic refresh rate)

Jul 31, 2020
Visit site
You need to do the other things too
well when I have gsync on and vsync on in control panel I dont get screen tearing in the demo but get major stuttering but without vsync on I get screen tearing and stuttering too I think. I dont think cap fps will help me much because if the fps drops even a little thats when it stutters like crazy. I never have v sync on in games

Don't take this the wrong way, but I really just don't have the time or energy to explain each and every suggestion in detail and have to argue a case for why specifically it is worth trying. I don't suggest things without a reason - and even if something doesn't work, it might rule certain issues out or in.

If you don't want to do something without an explanation (that is necessarily lengthy) of why it's a valid thing to do, that's your call of course, and perhaps others will be able to help you on those terms but giving advice and then having to beg people to follow it isn't something I can do.

If you haven't got a clue what's causing the issue it's probably wise to assume nothing.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2020
Visit site
Don't take this the wrong way, but I really just don't have the time or energy to explain each and every suggestion in detail and have to argue a case for why specifically it is worth trying. I don't suggest things without a reason - and even if something doesn't work, it might rule certain issues out or in.

If you don't want to do something without an explanation (that is necessarily lengthy) of why it's a valid thing to do, that's your call of course, and perhaps others will be able to help you on those terms but giving advice and then having to beg people to follow it isn't something I can do.

If you haven't got a clue what's causing the issue it's probably wise to assume nothing.
I tried the things you suggested and it didnt seem to improve it and I was just letting you know the result of what I get from doing it. Ive looked online multiple times already but I still have no clue the cause of it so thats why I was asking for help. It's not like I'm not gonna try the things you suggest because I don't think it will work because i'll try anything to get this fix. I just wanted to know some causes that could lead to it and how to fix.

So, to be clear, what exactly happens with Pendulum when vsync is disabled in Nvidia CP, refresh rate is capped to (say) 130 in RTSS, and gsync is on in Pendulum and Nvidia CP?

Pendulul has FPS sliders that let you manually control the FPS the demo runs at. Try setting those to e.g. 30-130, and see whether - if you still get stutter and / or tearing with the above conditions - that happens throughout the FPS range or only in certain ranges.

That might suggest whether gsync is working only within certain refresh windows, or just not at all. I'm guessing not at all, but worth checking.

Is the monitor connected to the GPU with a displayport cable?

Jul 31, 2020
Visit site
I noticed that when the animated fps drops below 30 screen tearing and stuttering happens but when its above its smooth and not stuttering. I think I read online that below 30 fps causes issues with gsync or it turns off or something. I connected the gsync monitor with a display port that came with the monitor. I am also using a 60hz 1080p monitor for a second monitor thats using hdmi. In games though I usually have more fps than 30 but even the slightest drop in fps is causing stuttering (in games I mean).

TRENDING THREADS