Steam Open World Sale

If only I could convince my brain I really don't need to buy any more new games.

This Steam sale is a good test. I think I've managed to talk myself down from buying The Witcher III or Mass Effect: Andromeda, as I won't have time to play either of them within the next few months anyway (unless I ignore all the other games I still want to play). I might pick up Vermintide though, as the friends I play with most often all already have it and have recently talked about playing it.

So what games are you buying or trying to convince yourself not to buy?

Ah geez, you had to open world your big mou er, keyboard—OW is my crack!
what games are you … trying to convince yourself not to buy?
These ones caught my eye—steep discounts, under $5, and Very Positive player rating:
Rebel Galaxy
Styx: Master of Shadows
Divinity II: Developer's Cut
Divine Divinity
Far Cry 3
Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead
ARMA: Cold War Assault
Solar 2
Euro Truck Simulator

I've managed to talk myself down … as I won't have time to play … them within the next few months
Yep, same here. I don't expect to buy anything this time around.

I don't expect to buy anything this time around
And I didn't, not from the OW sale, despite some tempters.

I'm proud of me, aren't you all? Everyone 👍🙌👌

So then the Fanatical Killer Bundle 17 arrived. You've got to be kidding me, $4 for those 7 games, 3 of which I want. So I just bought 7 Steam games.

I'm proud of me, aren't you all? Everyone 👍🙌👌

Reactions: Pifanjr and Abdhe
I would like to buy more games but my collection is far too huge. Its not helping that i'm playing live service games like the division 2 atm and its taking forever to finish. Almost there though, at world tier 3 atm. Just to more missions and the side bits and we''re good. Whats that? Warlords of new york expansion for 4.99 if i buy it off epic? (if i buy the division 2 which includes warlords expansion at 14.99 and use the voucher)

Tempting but is it much good? is it work a fiver? Not sure honestly i might be sick of the game atm and i can't stop playing it atm.

Reactions: Abdhe

Sarafan

Community Contributor
I had hopes that Death Stranding price will drop a little harder, but there was a better deal in the past, if I recall correctly. I'm hunting for the game in a good price, but I guess I'll have to wait a little longer. Many good offers though, so there are chances I'll pick something else.

Reactions: Pifanjr
4.99 if i buy it off epic? (if i buy the division 2 which includes warlords expansion at 14.99 and use the voucher)
Mmm, doesn't quite work like that :)

It costs you $15 unless you spend the voucher on another game before it expires. Ideal use of voucher is to buy a bunch of expensive games during one of their big sales. I bought 5-6 $60 games—Assassins Creed, Tom Clancy, etc—Xmas 2019 which were 75% off, so $15 in the sale. All of them, except the last, cost me $5—the last cost $15 because I was finished using the vouchers.

ETA: Above is wrong for current sale.
In 2019 you got the $10 voucher after a purchase. Current sale you get the voucher in advance, so it's only $5 all the way for $15 purchases.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pifanjr
Mmm, doesn't quite work like that :)

It costs you $15 unless you spend the voucher on another game before it expires. Ideal use of voucher is to buy a bunch of expensive games during one of their big sales. I bought 5-6 $60 games—Assassins Creed, Tom Clancy, etc—Xmas 2019 which were 75% off, so $15 in the sale. All of them, except the last, cost me $5—the last cost $15 because I was finished using the vouchers.

I don't buy games at full price. if anything i'll wait till its at a knock down price before buying them. Too often i buy a game at a discount and by time i actually go and play the game its at an even cheaper price. So i have to be extra selective. Atm i just use the epic store to buy ubisoft games, link them to my ubisoft account and ditch epic store.

I just tried it and yes, if i buy the division 2 warlords of new york edition atm it automatically applies the voucher and its just 4.99. So yeah, if i haven't got the division 2 atm, you can bet i'll be snapping that up. But for just an expansion pack? Not sure. As you said, i could do something more worthwhile and buy a full game with that £10 coupon (lets face it, a tenner off is a fantastic discount for most of the indie games).

So for now i'm going to sit back and wait. Too many games, too little time to play.

Zloth

Community Contributor
Huh - just posted a list of good buys (IMHO) to the Disqus comments in the PC Gamer article.

My precious X series is all on sale. They're sandbox games so you can quit playing those any time! You don't HAVE to play them for 300+ hours each!

(I do, though, and X4 has my game list backed up. GreedFall, Red Dead 2, the expansion for Talos Principle, and Yakuza Kiwami 2 are all on the schedule for the first half of this year. I'll never make it.)

Other games I noticed that seem like good deals:

Witcher 3 @ $7.99 (Not that there's anyone who hasn't played it yet)
Dragon Age Inquisition GOY (all DLC) $5.99
Kingdom Come Deliverance $10.19
Mass Effect: Andromeda $7.49 (Maybe not a great ME sequel, but a vastly underrated game)
Dragon Age Origins Ultimate Ed (all DLC) $5.99
Elex $12.49 (One of the best games I've played in the last few years)
Just Cause $0.97

@Zloth- I found Greedfall to be a really good, story driven RPG, in the same vein as the Mass Effect games; very character driven, where your choices matter.

wOSXpkL.jpg

@Brian Boru - You mentioned Divine Divinity, that is such an excellent RPG, massive game that could take well over 100 hrs if you like to try to complete all side quests. There are so many options in how to build your character, and it's as close to an "open world" as you'll find in a CRPG. Granted it's old (2002), so the graphics and animations aren't what we see today, but the gameplay is incredible. And it's only $0.59. Fifty-nine cents! Or get 3 divinity games: Divine Divinity, Beyond Divinity, & Divinity 2: Directors Cut for $2.99. All older games, but well worth it. It's where Larian's world of Rivellon began. Listed in the top 100 PC Games of All Time by PC Gamer in 2012.

May 29, 2021
Visit site
This Steam sale is a good test. I think I've managed to talk myself down from buying The Witcher III or Mass Effect: Andromeda, as I won't have time to play either of them within the next few months anyway (unless I ignore all the other games I still want to play). I might pick up Vermintide though, as the friends I play with most often all already have it and have recently talked about playing it.

So what games are you buying or trying to convince yourself not to buy?
The Saint Seiya game I bought was disappointing, so I hope I can repeat the time so as not to buy it

TRENDING THREADS