Steam Keys VS Others - Pro's + Cons etc + Save Games ?

Hello

I'm looking to buy a few games in the current Sales but am wondering what are the real Advantages and Disadvantages of certain types of game Keys?

NOTE I'm not really talking about 'steam keys are better cause you can trade them more easily and keep them as gifts etc)... That's not my focus for this thread ok.

Someone said they'd rather pay a bit more for a Steam key so they can get: steam link, more controller support and big screen mode

What are the other differences with Key Types - good and bad (apart from just Cloud Save Games)?

Eg companies like Steam, Origin, Epic Ubisoft etc etc etc

I'm wondering if it sometimes worth spending extra money (when you could have gotten the cheaper version) just to buy the same thing but with a certain type of key?

I heard recently one type of key only allows 1 Gig of Cloud saves (I think Origin)?

If that's true - does it just stop updating anything at a certain point or what happens? Can you delete some to make room? How much room do they all have?

I usually try to get Steam - but what are the main differences when it comes to save games and other things like that?

If I am half way through a game and I started playing it with a key from one Company/Developer - but then switched to a different key from another Company/Developer (eg to get an upgraded version of the game etc) - is there ever way to copy those progress/save games over? Is there always a way?

Or can save game files on your PC be useless sometimes going from one Company/Developers Installation folders to another?

What are the other differences with Key Types - good and bad?

Thank you for your time

Last edited:
Honestly, lately I actually hear more raves about incentives to buy games at Epic Store than Steam, mainly because they give great bonuses, like huge discounts and free games. And this includes games that have recently launched, about the only ones that are on sale at Steam are ones that have been out a while and I already own.

Keys only work with the store you buy them for. If you get a key for a different store, theres no crossing over so make sure you buy the keys for the same game on the same store. Theres no advantages/disadvantages to keys, its just what you get when you buy a game digitally from whatever store you buy it for. The differences come with what the key holds (limited editions, standard editions, things like that) and what store its on. If you buy a key for say Game X on steam, you will have to buy Game X all over again to have it on the Epic store.

If you buy say Doom Eternal standard edition on steam, but you want the limited edition on say Bethesda's game launcher, you will have to buy the whole game over again and no, saves dont cross over, you'd have to start over again.

With origin, id just avoid buying them on their launcher, their games are mostly on steam, and the whole catalog is on microsofts gamepass, i never heard of any keys limiting saves either.

Steam client, under Games in menu, has facility to add non-Steam games. I've never bothered with it, I assume it's to enable Steam to be your only launcher—but probably obsolete now with Galaxy and Playnite.

Main reason I pick a Steam key when I can is for access to the Workshop. Mods are a big part of gaming for me, and Steam has the only built-in support as far as I know.

Reactions: Pifanjr
The only advantage or disadvantage to the keys is which game client you prefer playing your games on, and what are the features of that game client. Steam has certain features that Epic may not have, like trophies and a friends list. If you already have a bunch of friends on Steam that you want to track gaming with or play multiplayer, maybe it's worth it to you to buy it on Steam, rather than Epic, or whatever.

But for me, personally, I don't play multiplayer, and I don't take advantage of any of Steam's extra-gaming features, so I will buy a game wherever it is cheapest every time. And if I can get a game free somewhere, I definitely won't be repurchasing it on Steam just for the sake of having it on Steam.

The only advantage or disadvantage to the keys is which game client you prefer playing your games on, and what are the features of that game client. Steam has certain features that Epic may not have, like trophies and a friends list. If you already have a bunch of friends on Steam that you want to track gaming with or play multiplayer, maybe it's worth it to you to buy it on Steam, rather than Epic, or whatever.

But for me, personally, I don't play multiplayer, and I don't take advantage of any of Steam's extra-gaming features, so I will buy a game wherever it is cheapest every time. And if I can get a game free somewhere, I definitely won't be repurchasing it on Steam just for the sake of having it on Steam.
Well said, Steam seems to mostly cater to completionists, while Epic are more understanding about those whom want bang for buck.

Reactions: WoodenSaucer
Feb 1, 2022
Visit site
Actually something to understand is that, alot of games for STEAM were sold at retailers like Walmart on a small cd rom that only had a small program that would download the steam program to your PC, make you create an account, and then let you download the game.

Major problem is, a good number of those games are not actualy downloadable from STEAM.

However, if you can avoid using STEAM you should try to at all costs. I am on a tighter download data plan due to being stuck with HUGHESNET.... and STEAM software is constantly going online even when you disable those functions in its control settings.

Actually something to understand is that, alot of games for STEAM were sold at retailers like Walmart on a small cd rom that only had a small program that would download the steam program to your PC, make you create an account, and then let you download the game.

Major problem is, a good number of those games are not actualy downloadable from STEAM.

However, if you can avoid using STEAM you should try to at all costs. I am on a tighter download data plan due to being stuck with HUGHESNET.... and STEAM software is constantly going online even when you disable those functions in its control settings.
Can't you just put Steam in Offline mode? You should be able to do that and still play your games, assuming they're not online multiplayer games.

Reactions: Brian Boru