Sports general discussion thread

Page 6 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
Where's he agonnago?

I just watched a true slogfest in my home town, the premier local rugby derby in the country, always a Christmas special. Driving rain all thru, and the ref had ongoing trouble with the cold biting wind accompanying it.

I got to credit both teams for keeping it mostly together and not making a ton of errors. Champagne stuff it was not—but enthralling? Oh yeah, in spades. Sadly, the better team on the night won 9-3.
I love watching teams play through cold weather...as long as I'm watching from home, although sometimes it can be fun to bundle up, grab some hand warmers and head to the stadium. The only bad weather we get down here anymore, though, are thunder storms and tornados. We did get an actual blizzard in 1993, but we rarely get snow anymore.

But the thunder storms are a real pain during football season. After a lightning strike within a certain distance they have to wait until it's been 30 minutes without another lightning strike. It can go on forever.

And back when I was a NASCAR fan, it wasn't too unusual to delay a race until the next day.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Our superstar freshman QB had a better debut than I expected. Usually players struggle in their first QB start, but he accounted for 4 TD's (running and passing) and didn't throw any interceptions. That's especially good since Iowa, who was ranked 17th, has a national top 5 defense. Anyway, we beat them 35 to 0, so that should make the off-season more fun. We have a lot of holes to fill, though, before next year. Our wide receivers and offensive line leave a lot to be desired.

Netflix rugby series "premieres on January 24th and will feature eight episodes", about last years 6 Nations Championship. Presumably timed to run beside this year's Championship which kicks off first weekend of February—shame this year's winner will probably be decided in Paris on the first weekend.

Reactions: ZedClampet
@Zloth congrats on trouncing Miami. They had quite an offense this year. Baltimore is going to be tough going in the AFC this year, but maybe KC is getting it all together at the right time.

Tennessee's Dalton Knecht now has the school's 3 game scoring record at 103 points. The last Rick Barnes coached player to score that much over 3 games was Kevin Durant, and the last player to score 35 plus in two straight games was Shaquille O'Neal, so Knecht is in pretty good company. As the song says, "pretty fly for a white guy".

Dalton-Knecht-%E2%80%94-Tennessee-Basketball.jpg

The University of Tennessee is under investigation by the NCAA again. It's rather complicated. The US Supreme Court has basically already ruled in the university's favor, and the state of Tennessee has started an anti-trust lawsuit against the NCAA that's been joined by the state of Virginia and will probably be joined by others before it's over. Will be interesting to watch, but there's no way the NCAA will win. You can't stop adults from being paid for work. In fact, the NCAA is being investigated and sued by a government agency (I can't remember which one) right now over it, and this is what the Supreme Court already ruled. The interesting thing is whether the NCAA can survive. The majority of opinion in the sports commentary world is that this is the beginning of the end of the NCAA.

Sued for what?? Not paying student athletes?
Basically, student-athletes took the NCAA to court because of NCAA rules not allowing them to get paid for NIL (name, image, likeness). The Supreme Court ruled in favor of the students, so Tennessee started paying them, but the NCAA said they weren't paying them according to new NCAA rules and opened an investigation in order to punish the university. The university basically said "come get some" and filed an anti-trust lawsuit that has now been joined by others.

Reactions: Zloth

Zloth

Community Contributor
If they split up the NCAA... that will be.... what would that be!? I can see how to break up a company, but the NCAA? "Join the NCBB, we let sponsors pay for student athlete housing!" "Oh, but here in the NCCC, we'll let you name your arenas after sponsors." "HA! The NCDD lets you name your athletes after sponsors!"

• Haha
If they split up the NCAA... that will be.... what would that be!? I can see how to break up a company, but the NCAA? "Join the NCBB, we let sponsors pay for student athlete housing!" "Oh, but here in the NCCC, we'll let you name your arenas after sponsors." "HA! The NCDD lets you name your athletes after sponsors!"
They aren't going to split it up. They are going to replace it. At least, that's what people are speculating.

Six Nations rugby championship 2024 kicks off today in little over an hour—on Peacock in USA, yay!—with a ~90% chance of being decided in the very first game. The teams which made clean sweeps in the last 2 years meet, France v Ireland in Marseille. Aka the World Cup final everyone wanted but didn't get.

Hope it lives up to the promise.

TRENDING THREADS