Sports general discussion thread

Page 7 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
I entered through the heavenly gate;
I heard the heavenly band.
And there was John the Baptist,
on Barry John's right hand
—Max Boyce

Barry John: Legendary Wales and Lions fly-half dies aged 79

The greatest 10 I've ever seen play, and part of the greatest-ever half back partnership with Gareth Edwards.
Doesn't rugby have a lot of variations? Like rugby union and rugby league? Hey, @Colif what do you think?

(never miss a chance to poke the Boru :ROFLMAO: )

• Haha
Reactions: Brian Boru
It really depends. If the country only plays one of the forms,Or the country is Wales where the sport was born, then calling it Rugby makes sense. Its only when you play the League & Union does it get confusing. Worse still if you also call them both football like they do here.. so you can confuse lots of people if you talk about a football match between two nations and don't be specific.

In Australia they play all types. There is actually a fourth here but I could understand why no one else knows about it - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Football_League AKA Aerial Ping Pong (its not Soccer)

Last edited:
Reactions: ZedClampet
It really depends. If the country only plays one of the forms,Or the country is Wales where the sport was born, then calling it Rugby makes sense. Its only when you play the League & Union does it get confusing. Worse still if you also call them both football like they do here.. so you can confuse lots of people if you talk about a football match between two nations and don't be specific.

In Australia they play all types. There is actually a fourth here but I could understand why no one else knows about it - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Football_League AKA Aerial Ping Pong (its not Soccer)
My favorite college American football team has a guy who played for Hawthorn for 3 years. He plays punter here. Did pretty good last year, but his kicking style would make going to the NFL difficult, as he kicks on the run. Usually American punters just take one step and kick to prevent the punt from being blocked by the other team. He didn't have any punts blocked, though.

At least Hawthorn still only play the one form. So I knew who you meant.

I don't follow any of them. Since I last took any notice every form has added new teams so its a good thing you mentioned one I knew.

Your football and AFL are completely different. Only way they have any link is you have the kicker role, and even then its just barely. Your football closer to Rugby League of all of them.

a fourth here but I could understand why no one else knows about it

Your link should be to Australian rules, which is a fine game—the one football type I never played but would love to have had a shot at. It's got some similarities with Gaelic football, to the extent that Australia and Ireland created a hybrid so they could run international competition between the two countries. The series is currently in abeyance, with Ireland having a narrow 21-19 lead in test matches won.

Doesn't rugby have a lot of variations?

Oh of course—from Wiki:

Rugby Union is the dominant variant, and what most people will mean when they say 'rugby'. Only 2 countries have Rugby League as a national sport, and there are only 4 professional countries—so it's strong, but small compared to Union.

Louis Rees-Zammit, a fine Welsh rugby player, is joining the NFL International Player Pathway Program, hope he does well—but I doubt it, the skill sets are very different. But at just 23 he can give it a few years, and return to a second rugby career if he doesn't make it in NFL.

There are at least a couple of success stories there (coming from rugby).

Easiest position to learn other than kicker/punter would probably be running back, but he's a little thin to be an NFL running back, so I'm guessing he wants to play receiver...or take steroids.

The judge in the Tennessee/Virginia vs the NCAA case refused to grant a temporary restraining order against the NCAA because he said that the full case would be decided next Tuesday, and while, he added, Tennessee was likely to win the case, he didn't feel like there would be enough damages in the next week to warrant the restraining order.

—Max Boyce

Hah, saw a fuller version of his verse:

I entered through the heavenly gate,
On Barry John's right hand.

He plays for the Heaven Welsh Fifteen,
They're very fit and keen.
We'd play the Heaven English,
If they could only raise a team :D

A Vicar asks his congregation in the valleys the question:
"What would you do if Jesus returned tomorrow?".
A voice in the flock pipes up:
"Move Barry John to inside-centre"!
—Max Boyce

• Haha
Hah, saw a fuller version of his verse:

I entered through the heavenly gate,
On Barry John's right hand.

He plays for the Heaven Welsh Fifteen,
They're very fit and keen.
We'd play the Heaven English,
If they could only raise a team :D

A Vicar asks his congregation in the valleys the question:
"What would you do if Jesus returned tomorrow?".
A voice in the flock pipes up:
"Move Barry John to inside-centre"!
—Max Boyce
Love the last stanza. It's easy to remember, too. I went and quoted it to my wife.

• Haha
Apparently my daughter is rooting for the wrong team in the Super Bowl because I just heard my wife screaming on the phone, "DON'T ROOT FOR THE 49ERS!"

I mentioned last year how my wife picks a team, doesn't even know any of the players, and then lives and dies on every play of the game, yelling at the television and acting like the other team is the human incarnation of demonic forces while her chosen team is comprised of angels.

Looks like her mysterious process has settled on Kansas City this year.

Personally, I'm just pulling for KC because of @Zloth and because, without any better reason, I just support the wife's team.

Ah, I just asked her, "So Elly May is rooting for the 49ers?" (I acted disgusted as I said it)

Wife, "Both our kids are rooting for them because of Taylor Swift!"

Ah, what a confusing sporting family we are.

Zloth

Community Contributor
Ah, what a confusing sporting family we are.
No worries! KC's colors are red & gold. SF's colors are duller red & gold. Everybody is cheering for the red & gold! Some are dullards, but at least we're all together on the colors.
GF lived near SF for over a decade, so sorry Zloth—she's just prettier than you!
You don't know that!! It's stunningly likely that you're right, but you don't know that you're right! Let's get some passive voice into that phrase!

I just asked Copilot what the kick-off time is. It said 5:30CST. I expect to see the kick-off at that point, not several minutes of player introductions, national anthems, ceremonial coin tosses, and who-knows what else.

Well, you got it done, but only just. Check is in the mail, but I'm hiring another guy next time.
Hey, a job done is a job done, but you owe as much thanks to SanFran for electing to get the ball first in overtime and settling for a field goal. I just got up and left at that point. I didn't even watch KC's winning drive. But I really didn't care. The only reason I was pulling for the 49ers was J. Jennings. Sadly, he would have been MVP if they'd won.

Super Bowl going to overtime. I think they should do this like soccer and just kick field goals until someone misses.

In soccer and rugby knockout games where a replay isn't allowed, they [almost?] always play overtime, typically 30 minutes.

Then each team takes a set of penalty kicks, kicked by different players—in soccer 5 kicks by 5 players, in rugby 3 by 3—before it reaches sudden death.

I'm hiring another guy next time

*waves* Yoohoo! *waves*

I managed to secretly apply noise-cancelling tech to GF's cheering, which I'm pretty sure made the difference at the end when she was hoarse.

Btw @Zloth, what's that word for what you guys have achieved recently? Oh yeah, I remember…
G R E E D Y

Congrats :)

In soccer and rugby knockout games where a replay isn't allowed, they [almost?] always play overtime, typically 30 minutes.

Then each team takes a set of penalty kicks, kicked by different players—in soccer 5 kicks by 5 players, in rugby 3 by 3—before it reaches sudden death.

*waves* Yoohoo! *waves*

I managed to secretly apply noise-cancelling tech to GF's cheering, which I'm pretty sure made the difference at the end when she was hoarse.

Btw @Zloth, what's that word for what you guys have achieved recently? Oh yeah, I remember…
G R E E D Y

Congrats :)
I actually know how soccer works. I was just simplifying it since they rarely score. Had no idea about Rugby.

Had no idea about Rugby

Me neither, have only seen it once, in the 2022 European Champions Cup QF when my team lost a shootout v Toulouse :(

Wiki describes it here, but is wrong about the Munster game. That had 3 players shoot from the 22m line, one in front, others 15m in from touchline.
Then same 3 players same positions from 40m line.

Fyi rugby pitch dimensions

Draws are rare in rugby, and are a legit result in all league games. Even rarer for it still to be drawn after extra time in a knockout. There are probably different shootout rules in different countries or competitions, not something I've ever looked into.

TRENDING THREADS