Show me your pile of PC boxes, fans, HDDs, cables, etc. I know you have them!

PCG Jacob

Staff member
Apr 2, 2020
Visit site
Hello, you lovely lot.

I'm writing up an article on how PC gamers love to, let's say, hoard old boxes and PC parts. I know, those eight fans and two HDDs from the early 2000s will come in handy very soon, but in the meantime, take a pic of it all and fire it my way :D I'm after piles of boxes, fans, hard drives, cables, cable ties, old cases. All that good stuff.

I'll kick things off with my own pile of shame. This is only a taster of what I have lying around, as most of it has spilled into surrounding rooms in my house and a storage container.

I'd love to showcase your pictures in the finished article, so if you'd be happy for me using your image please let me know in your reply. I'll be sure to credit you accordingly!

This is a judge-free zone. We're all guilty of keeping stacks of old stuff around with the intention of using it for something later on. It's a perennial PC gaming problem.

Thanks for your time!
Jacob

PCG Dave

Staff member
Apr 1, 2020
Visit site
I was very good when I moved into my current home 18 months back, because I got rid of every single duplicate cable I'd been hoarding for the past twenty years.

Though that obviously means I still kept one of each, regardless of how old, obsolete, or irrelevant it was. There's a big bag at the bottom of my wardrobe with a whole load of useless cables that will immediately somehow become vital should I decide to get rid.

Sarafan

Community Contributor
I have a gigantic tower composed of boxes in my room, but most of them are... shoes boxes! :LOL: I store some things in them and it's the only reason they're still here. Of course there are also some old PC components boxes as well, but not many. I usually sell old parts when making an upgrade and they're more expensive when you put them in original packaging. Potential photo probably wouldn't be interesting, although there are some tasty bites like the original box of GeForce 7800 GS and some old game big boxes. I'd love to see other people collections however. :D

Too bad I have all my old boxes stored away at my parents house in their attic haha. Every single GPU and CPU I’ve bought in the past 15 years, my case boxes, RAM and fan cases… PC hardware packaging has always been too good to throw away. Graphics card boxes are the best at it, with all their shiny metallic ink and textured cardboard, and the boxes are usually very sturdy and heavy duty too. I had a plastic grocery bag full of cables at one point too which I may have thrown out apart from an extra DisplayPort and HDMI cable. It seems a ton of PC gamers are guilty of doing this :ROFLMAO:

I’d love to rummage through my physical game collection some day too. I wonder if an original boxed copy of The Orange Box will ever become valuable one day.

I mostly sell whatever stuff in the original packaging when I upgrade. Whats left is split between our basement storage and a couple cupboards around my desk.
TcMtPOg.jpg

MlaXfpn.jpg

H13ZPBW.jpg

KLw7h8c.jpg

YWH6whd.jpg

P1FA9oI.jpg
Used to have more but I moved countries about 10 years ago and only brought what could fit in an extra suitcase. There's a Dreamcast , 1080p monitor, Atari 2600 and ST, Spectrum ZX2 and probably more in my Dads attic that I'll maybe ship one day if we ever have space. Feel free to use any pic.

You can never have too many old hard drives right? 😬
I feel you can, and you may have reached critical mass :)

Most of my parts are scattered all around,not in one place
I haven't been allowed to collect too much junk.

Do spare monitors count as boxes? I have a few.
I have an entire drawer full of Burnable DVD's that I never used. I don't have a drive any more...

May 5, 2023
Visit site
I feel you can, and you may have reached critical mass :)

Most of my parts are scattered all around,not in one place
I haven't been allowed to collect too much junk.

Do spare monitors count as boxes? I have a few.
I have an entire drawer full of Burnable DVD's that I never used. I don't have a drive any more...
It all counts! 😆

May 25, 2023
Visit site
Hello, you lovely lot.

I'm writing up an article on how PC gamers love to, let's say, hoard old boxes and PC parts. I know, those eight fans and two HDDs from the early 2000s will come in handy very soon, but in the meantime, take a pic of it all and fire it my way :D I'm after piles of boxes, fans, hard drives, cables, cable ties, old cases. All that good stuff.

I'll kick things off with my own pile of shame. This is only a taster of what I have lying around, as most of it has spilled into surrounding rooms in my house and a storage container.

I'd love to showcase your pictures in the finished article, so if you'd be happy for me using your image please let me know in your reply. I'll be sure to credit you accordingly!

This is a judge-free zone. We're all guilty of keeping stacks of old stuff around with the intention of using it for something later on. It's a perennial PC gaming problem.

Thanks for your time!
Jacob
For me the rationale is that I can't economically obtain parts for old PCs today. eBay is pricey. If I let go my collections of cables, cords, drive bay covers, hard drives, floppy drives, tape drives, motherboard standoffs, power supplies, memory modules and chips, CRT monitors, cooling fans, CPUs, interface cards (ISA, VLC, EISA, PCI, PCIe), and screws of every conceivable type... I might as well give up on vintage computing altogther. Of course then I could also send all the boxes I've saved to recycling...

Reactions: Brian Boru

TRENDING THREADS