Question Serious issues after buying new Monitor

Apr 6, 2020
Visit site
Hello there guys,

new member here looking for (and hopefully finding) some guidance :)

I am using an old PC with an old GTX 650 (dvi-i, dvi-d and hdmi ports), which i was using with an old 22" Samsung TV at 1920x1080p 60Hz.

Now i'm entering the gamer market, so i am building a PC with a RTX 2070 Super, which hasn't arrived yet.

But the Monitor has and i wanted to try it out: a 27" HP 27xp. WQHD, 144Hz, 1ms, DP, HDMI, and so on...

I connect the Monitor to my old PC and first i noticed how bright it was, so i lowered the brightness to like 25%.

Then checked the resolution and set it to WQHD 60Hz (there is nothing beyond 60Hz to select).

After 5 Minutes my eyes got all messed up, tears, stings... So i lowered the resolution do 1920×1080, 60Hz (still nothing beyond 60Hz). The problem persisted.

Tried to find optimal settings on the web, but there isn't much about this particular model, so i started playing a bit with the settings to no avail... Maybe a bit better but still worse than on my old TV.

When scrolling through webpages with the mouse wheel everything gets a bit blurry, like a shadow on letters.

Reinstalled drivers, tried every setting on the Nvidia control panel and on windows 10 side. Tried every hint i found Online but nothing has helped so far...

What could it be? Are my eyes not used to this kind of panel? Is it the 60Hz, and i can expect it to be better with the 2070 Super, DP cable and 144Hz?

I would be so glad and thankfull for some guidance.

Cheers guys and keep up the good work (and sorry for the long post)

Inspireless Llama

Community Contributor
If you connected it with DVI still, what I quickly found on Google was that 1920x1080@60hz is the max supported resolution by it. If you connected it via DP you could try your monitor itself to change the speed. My monitor offers a button to change between 60hz and 144hz. Your settings won't see 144 I think if your monitor is set on 60hz.

As for blurry text, I had issues with pixelerated red text on a black background. I tried "Cleartype" which is a Microsoft function, you could try that too. For me that didn't work. For me it turned out that in Nvidea settings I had to change the color settings under resolution from YCbCr422 to RGB. That fixed my specific issue.

Reactions: MMeirolas
Apr 6, 2020
Visit site
If you connected it with DVI still, what I quickly found on Google was that 1920x1080@60hz is the max supported resolution by it. If you connected it via DP you could try your monitor itself to change the speed. My monitor offers a button to change between 60hz and 144hz. Your settings won't see 144 I think if your monitor is set on 60hz.

As for blurry text, I had issues with pixelerated red text on a black background. I tried "Cleartype" which is a Microsoft function, you could try that too. For me that didn't work. For me it turned out that in Nvidea settings I had to change the color settings under resolution from YCbCr422 to RGB. That fixed my specific issue.

Hey thete, thx for the reply

I use an HDMI Cable, otherwise i'd have to use a DVI to DP Cable (my GPU has no DP).

I might try the clear type thing, since it's tough to read folder names on my desktop, even on 1080p (same resolution as i had on my "rotten" 22" TV).

There is not Button on my monitor to switch to 144Hz

Nvidia setting: RGB is select

Cheers

Inspireless Llama

Community Contributor
Just to clarify, is it a 27xp or a 27xq? I'm trying to google it and all I find is the XQ version, and I'm having trouble finding what resolution it is, wether it's 60hz or 144hz. Some post on google said you could try to go to your advanced Display Adapters in Windows settings and change the resolution from the ddrop down menu there.

Settings --> Display settings --> Advanced Display settings --> Display adaptor properties --> Monitor --> Drop down menu.

It's about a 25" monitor though.

Also, does the monitor have software to download? Both my AOC and MSI monitor had software for it which made it easier to change some color or general settings.

Reactions: MMeirolas
Apr 6, 2020
Visit site
Just to clarify, is it a 27xp or a 27xq? I'm trying to google it and all I find is the XQ version, and I'm having trouble finding what resolution it is, wether it's 60hz or 144hz. Some post on google said you could try to go to your advanced Display Adapters in Windows settings and change the resolution from the ddrop down menu there.

Settings --> Display settings --> Advanced Display settings --> Display adaptor properties --> Monitor --> Drop down menu.

It's about a 25" monitor though.

Also, does the monitor have software to download? Both my AOC and MSI monitor had software for it which made it easier to change some color or general settings.

It is a 27 xq. You're right... There's not much about it online :-(

The only thing i can change is the resolution, not the Refresh Rate. 60 max, and 75 for lower resolutions like 720p.

I tried on the windows settings, and nvidia control panel.

Drivers for the monitor are Installed.

I can only think of the lack of DP for the GTX 650.

Cheers

Inspireless Llama

Community Contributor
This topic on Reddit shows a calculation on hertz over HDMI. I'm not sure if they're right and it would make sense that you can go for 60 or75hz at max. It's not your monitor, it's the HDMI port on your 650. I had to search for it a bit, but I think it's HDMI 1.4 which doesn't support HDMI over 75hz. But by the way you're putting it (max 75hz on 720p) makes me think it might even be an older HDMI version.

The FAQ from EVGA actually gives answer here. The 600 series is not able to go higher than 60Hz on HDMI. If you want to try 144hz you indeed need Displayport. Did you run typeclear (or cleartype) already? Actually just checked again, but apparently the DP version supports 120hz max.

Apr 6, 2020
Visit site
This topic on Reddit shows a calculation on hertz over HDMI. I'm not sure if they're right and it would make sense that you can go for 60 or75hz at max. It's not your monitor, it's the HDMI port on your 650. I had to search for it a bit, but I think it's HDMI 1.4 which doesn't support HDMI over 75hz. But by the way you're putting it (max 75hz on 720p) makes me think it might even be an older HDMI version.

The FAQ from EVGA actually gives answer here. The 600 series is not able to go higher than 60Hz on HDMI. If you want to try 144hz you indeed need Displayport. Did you run typeclear (or cleartype) already? Actually just checked again, but apparently the DP version supports 120hz max.

Hey there...

You might be right, maybe it is the hdmi port. Sadly there's nothing i can do about it, besides waiting until i have the new PC.

Cleartype was already active.

I think the thread can be closed now.

Thanks for all the help guys ;-)

TRENDING THREADS