RTS games comparable to C&C Generals?

Command & Conquer 3 Kane’s Wrath might be closest, the XBox 360 version even has Kane's Challenge, similar to the Generals' Challenge in Zero Hour.

Also, there are mods for C&C 3 which give it a Generals vibe.
Try the Rise of the Reds mod for Zero Hour, also The End of Days.

Act of Aggression - Reboot Edition is similar, but people are divided—read some Steam reviews. It's the successor to Act of War Direct Action & its expansion AoW High Treason.

War Front: Turning Point is worth considering, if you can find it and get it working on a modern PC.

Sarafan

Community Contributor
Which RTS games do you know, that are comparable to C&C Generals in terms of philosophy/vibe/gameplay?

[Mod edit: changed title for clarity from "Tips for RTS games comparable to C&C Generals?".]

If you're not afraid of humorous approach to war, you can also try C&C Red Alert 3. The mechanics in all C&C games are similar, so unless you're tied strongly to 3D graphics, you can even try older installments in the series or check C&C Remastered Collection. Although keep in mind that the pace is slower in these games.

If you decide to try C&C Tiberian Sun or Red Alert 2, be prepared for the necessity to install some community patches to get the games working on modern hardware.

there's also the OpenRA project, which is basically a community made open source engine that is literally command and conquer. 😉

havucsotyiw71.png

View: https://youtu.be/93b7TKooj-M

The video reminds me of all those Dune games that are in the publisher's limbo. Man, I'd love to revisit Dune 2000 and Emperor Battle for Dune, but I have huge doubts whether this will be possible. If GOG can't do it, no one will...
uh, I suggest that you visit the OpenRA website, because their engine is also capable of running Dune 2000 "Gamemodes" 😉 which is essentially a fan remake from what I can gather.

Sarafan

Community Contributor
Reactions: redmark_
From what I understand, you need the original game to run it with OpenRA. Unfortunately I don't own Dune 2000. :(
oof, well that's a bummer. are you sure that the original game is needed to play a "dune 2000" mode on OpenRA? ⛱

I read claims otherwise, but I haven't tried.

also I looked for dune on GOG and found that there's only a wishlist. sighs.
also some comments from there:

Baron_Chronus
well its funny how they're fine with a new movie being mad but not the games or any re-releases

MartyD82
That's a drag. About the licensing problems. I'd love to see the Dune 2000 Gruntmods Edition put in GOG and, thus, made perfectly legal.

Kingmen
All the rights apparently had reverted to Frank Herbert’s family, and when GOG contacted them they just said no.

A bit sad that no one will know the reason why the family isn't giving the rights to make a game or at least republish the original on GOG. 🥲

Also all I find on the internet about Dune 2000 and the like are arguments whether it's "abandonware", "freeware", legal, not legal, copyright, etc.

There are website's out there too claiming to have it as "abandonware".

Reactions: Brian Boru

Sarafan

Community Contributor
oof, well that's a bummer. are you sure that the original game is needed to play a "dune 2000" mode on OpenRA? ⛱

I read claims otherwise, but I haven't tried.

I didn't install it yet, but on the download page there's a clear statement "The OpenRA mods require files from the original games, which are used under the license granted by the C&C Franchise Modding Guidelines. "

also I looked for dune on GOG and found that there's only a wishlist.

Yeah, that's very sad. Apparently no Dune game (except the most recent one) is available on digital distribution platforms. But GOG has managed to bring to life Blade Runner, many Star Trek games and a lot of other games, so I wouldn't lose hope.

There are website's out there too claiming to have it as "abandonware".

There's no easy answer when it comes to abandonware. It's a grey area, because the term doesn't exist in the legal system of any country. Of course given the fact that the game is no longer in sale no one loses profits when you download it from abandonware site. To be perfectly legal however you have to buy a used boxed version and these have price of a new AAA title on auction portals. But again, I wouldn't condemn people who download old games that aren't available in digital and boxed distribution.

Reactions: Brian Boru

TRENDING THREADS