RTS games comparable to C&C Generals?

Aug 8, 2022
Which RTS games do you know, that are comparable to C&C Generals in terms of philosophy/vibe/gameplay?

[Mod edit: changed title for clarity from "Tips for RTS games comparable to C&C Generals?".]

Last edited by a moderator:
Command & Conquer 3 Kane’s Wrath might be closest, the XBox 360 version even has Kane's Challenge, similar to the Generals' Challenge in Zero Hour.

Also, there are mods for C&C 3 which give it a Generals vibe.
Try the Rise of the Reds mod for Zero Hour, also The End of Days.

Act of Aggression - Reboot Edition is similar, but people are divided—read some Steam reviews. It's the successor to Act of War Direct Action & its expansion AoW High Treason.

War Front: Turning Point is worth considering, if you can find it and get it working on a modern PC.

Sarafan

Community Contributor
Jan 14, 2020
Which RTS games do you know, that are comparable to C&C Generals in terms of philosophy/vibe/gameplay?

[Mod edit: changed title for clarity from "Tips for RTS games comparable to C&C Generals?".]
If you're not afraid of humorous approach to war, you can also try C&C Red Alert 3. The mechanics in all C&C games are similar, so unless you're tied strongly to 3D graphics, you can even try older installments in the series or check C&C Remastered Collection. Although keep in mind that the pace is slower in these games.

If you decide to try C&C Tiberian Sun or Red Alert 2, be prepared for the necessity to install some community patches to get the games working on modern hardware.

May 22, 2022
The video reminds me of all those Dune games that are in the publisher's limbo. Man, I'd love to revisit Dune 2000 and Emperor Battle for Dune, but I have huge doubts whether this will be possible. If GOG can't do it, no one will...
uh, I suggest that you visit the OpenRA website, because their engine is also capable of running Dune 2000 "Gamemodes" 😉 which is essentially a fan remake from what I can gather.

ASK THE COMMUNITY