Rockfish Games, creators of Everspace 2, AMA

Page 4 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
Status
Not open for further replies.

RFG_Thorbo

Registered Developer
Aug 31, 2020
Visit site
whats ur go to snack while working? hehe... did u learn german? goodluck and more power guys!

I guess that question goes to @RFG_Erik

What are you guys working on now?

Getting the Beta release ready and shifting over to the Early Access, which is planned for the end of the year. Meaning: new locations, enemies, devices and well, almost everything.

Sep 1, 2020
Visit site
How much bigger would you say everspace 2 is compared to the first game as in environment size the rang of different weapons and their capabilities and the range of ships in the game?

May 1, 2020
Visit site
How heavily are you invested in puzzles aspect? It seemed pretty cool that you have them in game like this, so i was would there be more challenging ones, how often we expect to encounter any sorts of puzzles on the way?

RFG_Thorbo

Registered Developer
Aug 31, 2020
Visit site
tell us a bit about how was the development process, important moments;

also,minimum settings to run the game will be?

This is kind of a broad question. I'll try to put it short and precise. We started from scratch with the experience from past projects (e.g. gof and ES1). Some features, that worked for us, were refactored and reused. I cannot tell too many specifics of the early days, as I joined only a few years ago. So the most important moments so far, were the Kickstarter planning and launch, the Demo, that shipped after the Kickstarter's end as this was the first time players might actually get a glimpse of whats to come and lastly the release of the Alpha. From this day on, it's a live project, which will receive more and more updates and hopefully more and more players!

Minimum spec is too early to tell, but a very speculative range for graphic cards are the GTX 970 (which still works with limitations) and 2070 Super working super smooth (4k 60fps).

When designing new game mechanics for the sequel what was the thought process behind it?

To put it simple, one of the most important questions is always: Does it make fun? A lot in our games revolves around shooting, looting, exploring, progressing and flying with a ship in space, naturally many features support these aspects. That doesn't limit it, though. If we decide to implement some kind of mini game, trading, crafting or big systems like that, we find a way to do so. But at the end if always comes down to the fun-question. Of course, there's also budget (time and money).

Not sure if that covers your question. Feel free to ask more questions.

What are the requirements to play Everspace 2 on 1080p with 60fps?

See my upper answer. It's really quite hard to tell yet.

How much bigger would you say everspace 2 is compared to the first game as in environment size the rang of different weapons and their capabilities and the range of ships in the game?

Where in Everspace 1 you had like 7 sectors with around 5 locations each. In Everspace 2 you have 8 sectors and we plan on having around 100 hand-crafted locations spread all over them + randomly generated locations (which was the default in Everspace 1). The location size is also bigger in Everspace 2.

We're planning on re-using the weapons from Everspace 1. Some are modified and of course we will add new ones. It's hard to tell how many it will be at the release, as it might happen in the process of the Early Access that some weapons won't even make it, while new ones are yet to be invented.

Are there any plans for co-op down the road?

Not at this moment.

Is this free

Nope, sorry pal. Classic pay to play as we strongly believe there should be no micro transactions in single-player games. But there is still a chance to win an access-key for the Early Access, which will transform into the full-release version. Feel free to join our discord to learn more about that.

How hard was it for you to make the game?

That's quite subjective. I'd say it's always hard to develop a quality game over several years. But it's not like we don't know what we're doing

How heavily are you invested in puzzles aspect? It seemed pretty cool that you have them in game like this, so i was would there be more challenging ones, how often we expect to encounter any sorts of puzzles on the way?

Being fans of puzzles ourselves, we are heavily invested in them. Though, the game is not focused on those entertaining riddles. We try to find a proper balance between the shootin' n' lootin and sitting back and take a moment to think. We also try to find a good range of regular casual-easy stuff to rarer hit-your-head-on-your-desk.

Last edited:
Reactions: nightwish2517

RFG_Uyu

Registered Developer
Aug 25, 2020
Visit site
Will Mods be supported?

There is a ship (sentinel class), that looks like a classic Jedi Starfighter... there are tons of ship designs that look amazing.

Modding is something we would love to do but it is not planned or being focused on right now. First of all we have to decide what can be modded and if this makes sense at all.

What graphics card will I need to play?

We have the game running in the office on different machines ranging from GTX 970 to RTX 2080Ti. Poorest to best experience. Most are on an RTX 2070 Super with 2k/60 FPS.

How long was the game in development before release?
When we release it somewhere 2022 it would have been in development for more than four years.

Will there be a version for next-gen consoles?

Oh yeah, probably!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS