Retro FPS Discussion Thread

Page 2 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
So Pirate doom finished, reviews and opinions on the usual completion thread.

But going back to the topic at hand, i'm hearing a lot of good things about Selaco (which uses the doom engine), i'll no doubt be getting that game once it drops in price, has more time in the oven.

if theres any more doom news i'll be sure to let you guys know. Next wad: SmashDoom TV

@Johnway I’ve been thinking of going back to GZDoom mods once I’m finished with DUSK. I loved the first few levels of Pirate Doom but didn’t play much beyond that. There are so many great mods on there, I’m definitely missing out by not playing them. Your review of Pirate Doom 2 made me want to get back into them, and maybe I can finish up Eviternity too while I’m at it.

@Johnway I’ve been thinking of going back to GZDoom mods once I’m finished with DUSK. I loved the first few levels of Pirate Doom but didn’t play much beyond that. There are so many great mods on there, I’m definitely missing out by not playing them. Your review of Pirate Doom 2 made me want to get back into them, and maybe I can finish up Eviternity too while I’m at it.

yeah finish off evilternity and then play evilternity 2 or pirate doom 2. Pirate doom 2 maps are mostly small /medium so you can breeze through maps very quickly.

Speaking of Doom wads, i have a few added to my list. i was going to mention it more once i finished my current Doom wads: Smash Doom TV.

lets start with a TC. Do you like Pussy? Do you especially love SPACE pussy? then you'll love Space Cats!

The DBP have some tasty looking wads.

DBP 65: Sanguine Holy Land

DBP 66: Lunar strain
:

Rowdy rudy returns for another slice of mayhem. Die Rowdy

Skyscrapers!, Christmas!, demons!, Die hard (the movie). i would like to play this closer to christmas.

This caught my eye, it looks good, will play in between the popular wads. Evil returns

just right now, i've got my eye on another one. Doomium. No idea what its like.

We could be here all day if i keep scrolling doomworlds community board so lets wrap on one more wad.

Action Doom 2: urban brawl reloaded (Don't get confused by Action Doom). A melee brawler of sorts. i mention this one as it reminds me of fallen aces. not quite as stealthy or polished, but look forward to trying it.

After hearing that weapons from Doom the dark ages is being imported into Doom2, i've been waiting for that skull gun thing to be implemented into a mod. The sprites already exist...

@Johnway, what keeps you going with the Doom mods? I've played a couple of them (Ashes, My House, Infinite) and do really enjoy them, but I constantly get distracted by new Boomer shooters instead. Why download something for free when I can give someone else my limited money for a brand new thing?

Maybe I just need to watch more Doom mod youtubers.

Generally speaking, i only play doom wads on the weekends or when i have a spare hour or 2 during the lunch time. My evening gaming is on my steam collection. When i play the Wads i generally play them one at a time, finish them off and move onto the next one. if i played nothing but doom wads, i would be absolutely lose interest. I like to temper it with Doom wads as my shooter desires and my evening play for something thats not a shooter.

Interestingly, its because the doom wads are free that i'm encouraged to play them. Sure there are several boomer shooters i want to play such as Selaco, fallen aces, beyond sunset, but they aren't ready yet (Still EA) and i'm patient enough to wait. I mean, i have half a dozen free doom wads, a massive steam backlog and a large amount of patience before i dip into my wallet.

I suppose that brings up a good point, the quality of doom community is outstanding and for FREE, its a no brainer for me to keep playing those first. i also watch the cacoawards and any youtube videos to play the best i'm always playing high quality wads. Sure, i've played through a fair share of wads that have rubbed me the wrong way and i stay away from slaughterfest or sunder like maps.

i suppose the other reasons include i've formed a habit out of playing wads and i'm sometimes blindsided by nostalgia. i played Doom2 a lot during my younger years and it still amazes me how much better the maps are made by the modding community. Most important of all is that i find them fun, if it wasn't i wouldn't bother with it. For some reason some of the best stuff i played the last few years have been doom wads. perhaps its because they're free, made by the public i give it a free pass, if i was expected to pay for some of the wads i would probably revise my opinion on some of them pretty quickly.

DOOM 1 + DOOM 2 Initial Thoughts

Last night, Bethesda and id Software released what you could call remaster updates for DOOM 1 and 2, together as a mega bundle including all official releases like Final Levels, TNT Evilution, SIGIL and more. There is also a brand new episode, Legacy of Rust, developed as a collaborative effort between id Software, Machinegames (known for the modern Wolfenstein games, upcoming Indiana Jones game, as well as the newest Quake II episode released last year, Call of the Machine), and Nightdive Studios (modern remaster legends). New Blood Interactive (known for DUSK, AMID EVIL and more) also had a hand in helping develop this rerelease package.

Alongside this mega content bundle is lots of new features and improvements. Most notably, moved the games to Nightdive’s KEX engine which include improvements to allow multi-threaded rendering, 4K resolutions, cross-platform multiplayer and co-op, as well as a full fledged mod browser built in game, slightly similar to other Bethesda games like Skyrim and Fallout 4’s in-game mod browsers. This allows you to download and play mods near instantaneously, and console players now for the first time can enjoy these mods too. This update is still compatible with nearly all mods ever released for the game, but the in-game mod browser only carries what the community uploads directly to that service. So far there are tons of mods to look through.

As for playing the game, it feels smoother and looks crisper than ever before. I blew past E1 last night with the new remixed soundtrack by Andrew Hulshult and had an absolute blast. It’s still DOOM by all means, but improved just enough to appeal to everyone wanting to revisit it and modders alike. The new soundtrack kicks ass, they are just remixed versions of the original soundtrack with new instrumentation. I haven’t tried multiplayer or the new episode yet, so can’t comment on that right now.

One awesome new addition is the id Vault. There you can see all sorts of old unused sprites, animations that didn’t make the cut, all the variations of enemies and artwork, even the raw camera captures of the physical models they made for each enemy which then gets turned into the sprites we see in game. The raw camera captures were especially interesting to me, they looked quite creepy with the low quality camera used. The Vault is an awesome collection of game making history that you don’t see much of these days.

So far this is a very awesome rerelease, remake, modernization update, whatever you wanna call it. Highly recommend for any DOOM fans.

@neogunhero Not even a DOOM fan but I'm genuinely happy for y'all. I know how excited I'd be if they remastered some of my decrepit faves.
Seems like specifically the retro FPS scene is getting all of this remaster love. Quake 2 “remaster” update from last year was pretty close to what this update for DOOM is. We just need to bring the same level of love to all other genres of games and remaster them! Civ 4 remaster update is high on that list for me.

Civ 4 remaster update is high on that list for me

As long as Spearman can still defeat a tank, I'll go for that :D

ZRwwyYZ.png

As someone who is a big fan of doom 2 and wads, i've been rather quiet on the recent announcements. its nice to see more classic doom for the massives. but i'm very much interested in the modding scene and how it will evolve. Tbh, i doubt not very much will change. certainly megawads that use copyrighted material to build their games will be off the list, but heres hoping most of the good stuff is intact. its unlikely to get me to switch from GZDoom at this point.

that said the recent copyright issues (people uploading wads and claiming they're the author) will be a bit of a nuisance but we'll see how that pans out. haven't got a stake in it and i don't recall monetization of the wads.

The other thing that i've seen was the ray tracing mods for doom 2. pff. Lets shove it on okuplok, sunder or some slaughterfest mapsand see how that looks...

onto wad news nothing really stands out atm. i did notice that lost civilizations 2. i played the original and enjoyed the linear open ended maps (although i just found myself backtracking to go the other routes to experience everything).

The only wads that i'm really interested in is RAMP 2024 (Rabbits All Map Pack). A collection of maps from a wide variety of mappers from first timers and veterans and a wide variety of experiences and challenges. RAMP 2023 had 296 maps and its begineer friendly (in fact RAMP encourages and welcomes them to participate) links below if you want a crack at doom mapping:

Currently in Beta, so waiting for final release and either i'll enjoy this or it will bore me to tears or it will make me quit in frustration.

its unlikely to get me to switch from GZDoom at this point.
I’m sure hardcore players will stick with GZDoom since that’s kind of been the standard for so long now. Plus, mods that require GZDoom to work won’t work with this rerelease. It was very exciting to check out, but I still go back to GZDoom to play my wads. Currently still going through Pirate Doom 1.
that said the recent copyright issues (people uploading wads and claiming they're the author) will be a bit of a nuisance but we'll see how that pans out. haven't got a stake in it and i don't recall monetization of the wads.
I didn’t know about this until I saw the PCG article yesterday, and as bad as it is, I’m honestly not surprised at Bethesda for allowing it. They never seem to think a few steps ahead of anything they do. I don’t know if it’s incompetence from the people who were responsible for the in-game mod browser portion of the re-release, or if Bethesda just truly does not give a crap about all the hard work their fans and players of their games put into making completely free content, and wanted to capitalize on it. The later seems more accurate since Bethesda does have a track record for doing this exact same thing as pointed out in the article.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts