Question Rate my computer, goal to be futureproofed with new 3000 series without blowing my budget

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 26, 2021
Visit site
Hey, I need help to look over my pc build.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/PzNGF8

The components are
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 AORUS ELITE V2 ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Storage: Kingston A2000 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB Founders Edition Video Card or whatever 3070 card gets available.
Case: Corsair 275R Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair RM 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

My current computer Is hella old and was budget at the time. It has not aged well. Barely running world of warcraft.
I bought it prebuild and I'm currently kinda annoyed with the components they picked so thought I could do better.

Im want to buy this computer this year. So don't really have much rush, just want to be prepped.
And don't wanna waste money on parts that will just be bottlenecked I'm looking at the cpu in this respect.

Im using a Norwegian site to buy the components cause ordering from outside just makes it that much more expensive.

Where is this computer bottlenecked? is there something I have overlooked?
The price for this will be around 1700 - 2000 dollar depending on the ******* graphic card.If I bought a 2060 card instead of the 3000 series its at 1650

Nice build, 3600 RAM would be nice if its not too much more expensive but otherwise solid choices all round.

If anything I would pick up an aftermarket CPU cooler. I found the Wraith to be a bit loud for my taste.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 34 CPU Cooler (kr404.00 @ Proshop)
Thermal Compound: Noctua NT-H1 3.5 g Thermal Paste (kr158.00 @ kl.ink)
Total: kr562.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-04-27 16:01 CEST+0200

Apr 26, 2021
Visit site
Nice build, 3600 RAM would be nice if its not too much more expensive but otherwise solid choices all round.

If anything I would pick up an aftermarket CPU cooler. I found the Wraith to be a bit loud for my taste.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 34 CPU Cooler (kr404.00 @ Proshop)
Thermal Compound: Noctua NT-H1 3.5 g Thermal Paste (kr158.00 @ kl.ink)
Total: kr562.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-04-27 16:01 CEST+0200
Thanks for the feedback

Hey, I need help to look over my pc build.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/PzNGF8

The components are
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 AORUS ELITE V2 ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Storage: Kingston A2000 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB Founders Edition Video Card or whatever 3070 card gets available.
Case: Corsair 275R Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair RM 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

My current computer Is hella old and was budget at the time. It has not aged well. Barely running world of warcraft.
I bought it prebuild and I'm currently kinda annoyed with the components they picked so thought I could do better.

Im want to buy this computer this year. So don't really have much rush, just want to be prepped.
And don't wanna waste money on parts that will just be bottlenecked I'm looking at the cpu in this respect.

Im using a Norwegian site to buy the components cause ordering from outside just makes it that much more expensive.

Where is this computer bottlenecked? is there something I have overlooked?
The price for this will be around 1700 - 2000 dollar depending on the ******* graphic card.If I bought a 2060 card instead of the 3000 series its at 1650
Apart from the cooler mentioned in post below yours, that looks like a good build.
I don't know if waiting for a gpu is worth it, i can't see the future so I don't know when the current drought will end. I would go for the cheaper one if you can get it now as you can always upgrade GPU once they get down to a more reasonable cost.

if I had made my current PC this year it would likely look similar to yours. I just bought it a few months too soon. Just as it started to get hard to find anything, and the month before 5600x was announced
I can't complain, it still feels brand new and I don't know what slow means.

Apr 26, 2021
Visit site
Apart from the cooler mentioned in post below yours, that looks like a good build.
I don't know if waiting for a gpu is worth it, i can't see the future so I don't know when the current drought will end. I would go for the cheaper one if you can get it now as you can always upgrade GPU once they get down to a more reasonable cost.

if I had made my current PC this year it would likely look similar to yours. I just bought it a few months too soon. Just as it started to get hard to find anything, and the month before 5600x was announced
I can't complain, it still feels brand new and I don't know what slow means.
Thanks for the feedback. I feel buying some of the older cards is a waste since, they are priced the same as the newer cards but with much worse performance. I am aware that currently the 2000 series gpu can crush most games. But the point of this computer is to be future proofed. So i rather wait.

If i was gonna base my computer on the 2000 series GPU i would also skimp on my power supply and motherboard. Since i dont need as much power or pci4.

future proof... nothing is future proof. But I get wanting to make it the best you can.

If you don't need it now, wait. I would possibly pick up an nvme early as you know you want it and with mining now using ssd, it could be hard to get later on.

If anything GPU might be easier with the LHR versions around.

PCIe4 doesn't add that much to GPU, none of them even max out PCIe3 yet.

never skimp out on PSU :)

Apr 26, 2021
Visit site
future proof... nothing is future proof. But I get wanting to make it the best you can.

If you don't need it now, wait. I would possibly pick up an nvme early as you know you want it and with mining now using ssd, it could be hard to get later on.

If anything GPU might be easier with the LHR versions around.

PCIe4 doesn't add that much to GPU, none of them even max out PCIe3 yet.

never skimp out on PSU :)
I was not aware SSD was a big component in mining, i will look into securing the ssd early.
And i read that PCIe4 was necessary for the newer cards. Is this wrong ?
Thanks for the information these are things i am having a hard time to find out myself.

Apr 26, 2021
Visit site
okay friends besides that, there's more
Asus TUF FX505DT is no less good and the price is more affordable

Asus TUF FX505DT build
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3550h 4 core
Memory: 8gb ram
Storage: M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD 512 gb
Video Card: GeForce GTX 1650
https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-3070-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1650/4083vs4039
https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Ryzen-5-3550H-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-5600X/m718601vs4084

I looked it up and the specs i got from the site was not really specific
But the parts i can compare are not really on the same level.

The Laptop is indeed more affordable but if i where willing to lower my specs so significantly i would be able to make a cheaper desktop pc.

I am aware that for many people a laptop is more tempting. Its prebuildt and more portable, so the price reflects that. But that is not what this post is about.

I am fine having my pc standstill. And im perfectly fine building it myself. So I am trying to midmax performance without crushing my budget.

PCI-E 3 vs 4

Not maxed out 3.0x16 yet, I lied, theres a tiny difference but certainly not noticeable.

PCI-E fully backwards and forwards compatible. 4.0 Not necessary at all for GPU's

laptop only advantage over a desktop is its portable, Desktop can beat it in most other areas, so why would he buy a laptop

laptop cpu are no match for desktop ones, even if similar family. the speeds they can boost to isn't often the same, laptops often don't have the cooling so their boost is restricted to not overheat and kill CPU,

Op knows what he wants, he just asking for improvements, not a completely different PC (although if he had posted on Toms Hardware, he would have got about 15 different builds but none would be a laptop).

Apr 26, 2021
Visit site
PCI-E 3 vs 4

Not maxed out 3.0x16 yet, I lied, theres a tiny difference but certainly not noticeable.

PCI-E fully backwards and forwards compatible. 4.0 Not necessary at all for GPU's
Then since i dont have need for pci-4 do you have any recommendations for motherboard i can switch over too ?

pcie 4 isn't just for GPU, its also NVME, so having 4.0 isn't a complete waste if you ever buy a newer NVME it will run full speed on 1 of the slots at least.

I wouldn't downgrade it just for that reason.

And who knows what GPU might want next. why buy a pcie 3 one and then next GPU needs pcie 4. better to be future proof a little.

I have X570 with PCIe 4 slots using a pcie 3 gpu, and a pcie 3 nvme, but I can always upgrade in the future. Why restrict yourself.

Then since i dont have need for pci-4 do you have any recommendations for motherboard i can switch over too ?

I wouldn't go much lower then the one you already chose. I'm not a proponent of going too cheap on either PSU or motherboard if you can avoid it as both are very important.

And as Colif said in the future youll be able to throw in a faster NVME, although it wont make much difference for most common applications its nice to have the option.

Apr 26, 2021
Visit site
pcie 4 isn't just for GPU, its also NVME, so having 4.0 isn't a complete waste if you ever buy a newer NVME it will run full speed on 1 of the slots at least.

I wouldn't downgrade it just for that reason.

And who knows what GPU might want next. why buy a pcie 3 one and then next GPU needs pcie 4. better to be future proof a little.

I have X570, pcie 3 gpu, pcie 3 nvme, but I can always upgrade in the future. Why restrict yourself.
I dont have much plans to upgrade the computer once i have made it; this is it.
I will probably add storage down the line but that is it.
So if i dont get much value out of the 70 bucks extra it is to have a modern motherboard, i would rather save that money and use it on a fan :^)

From what i have heard, many of the things that differ on motherboard price is things we dont actually use.
I thought pci-4 was one of the needed components, witch is why i chose this specific motherboard.

But it might be that i have the wrong idea of the motherboards importance.

How long you plan on using PC? I always figure a new gpu will happen, all my PC have had at least 1 new GPU in them, or at least last 3 have

1st PC IBM - came with ATI Rage pro 2d graphics, had to upgrade to Voodoo 2 to get 3d graphics
2nd PC Duron 800 - I can't recall what it came with but I did upgrade gpu at some stage
3rd PC Athlon 2800xp - I can't remember what gpu it has but I had to make a new PC as its MB only had AGP ports, and it was at a time PCIe was all you could buy anymore
4th PC Intel Dual core - I don't remember its original GPU but it has a GTX 260 & the same AMD gpu that is in PS3 in it, over its life span
5th PC Intel I5 4690k - Had a GTX 960 but I got a 4k monitor and poor gpu couldn't cope, so I upgraded to GTX 980
Current PC - Only had it 8 months, no upgrades yet

Its your choice, its your pc.

But i feel having features you can use later is better than not having them at all.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2021
Visit site
How long you plan on using PC? I always figure a new gpu will happen, all my PC have had at least 1 new GPU in them, or at least last 3 have, I can't remember back before 2007.

Its your choice, its your pc.

But i feel having features you can use later is better than not having them at all.
I would hope to have it for the next 6 years.
Ive been using this prebuild since 2014.
But i am not happy with the quality i got for the price.
So im trying to make something better than the prebuildt i can find today. instead of falling for the same trap twice.

I do not think i am going to replace the GPU. But i understand what you are saying, and i might keep the motherboard just in case and cause i am too lazy to find a new one.

You can always hope. My GTX 980 lasted 5 years. so its possible... but I never really played many games on it. 980 not really up to running 4k so i never really tried that hard. Rest of that PC still fine, its at end of my bed as I have no where else to put it.

Most parts get questionable about 5 years unless they have 10 year warranties likes your PSU.

Most of my replacement parts over years have been the occasional hdd and GPU. One PSU that went bang but it was 6 years old. Most of my parts die of old age. GPU thermal paste appeared to dry up 3 days before I built this pc. it was running at 65c at idle. not normal.

wow, you really will see a difference jumping from current PC to a 5600x and an nvme. instant boot, no start pc and walk away for a while while it loads. My last PC had an ssd and I can still see a difference in boot times and just responsiveness running off nvme (though how much of the difference is the nvme and not other things is hard to tell. 4 threads compared to 12 isn't really fair.

I would have bought an ssd and put that in as boot drive in current PC, as once you used ssd, you can't use hdd again. Win 10 fast startup makes hdd seem faster than they really are.

Are you sure 1tb of space is enough? i don't use it but i have an extra 3tb hdd that wouldn't add that much more money but add more space for games.

I wouldnt advise going up much more than 3600 c16 for RAM, theres a chance it wont run faster than that stable without manual tuning, which takes time and research. The cost increase of faster RAM is also usually a lot more than any performance benefit you get out of it.

I'll also agree with Colif, that if you factor in replacing the GPU after a few years you'll find the overall rig has a much longer lifespan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS