Random Software topics

Page 4 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
2024 June browser reports from Malwarebytes:

Vivaldi
wqUdfi3.png

Edge
ELPKlSa.png

That's over 600 a day. Is that hi or lo compared to yours?

Reactions: neogunhero
2024 June browser reports from Malwarebytes:

Vivaldi
wqUdfi3.png

Edge
ELPKlSa.png

That's over 600 a day. Is that hi or lo compared to yours?
I don't use Malwarebytes anymore, so I can't give you an apples to apples comparison, but when I go to PCG, my adblock blocks up to 60 ads on a single page, same thing on the sports forum I go to. If this is counting ads the same way Malwarebytes does, then it's hard for me to imagine getting less than 600 in a day. For one thing, I open maybe 100 threads a day on the sports forum for moderation purposes, and so that would be at least 6000 ads blocked a day.

However, it's possible they are counting differently. Maybe Malwarebytes is counting only unique ads.

@Pifanjr You mentioned NewPipe elsewhere as an Android workaround for YT ads.

Do you happen to know if it would work on (some of) the ways Android can work on PC? If yes, any recs?

YT is getting pushy about ad blocking in browser.
I haven't had any problems with uBlock Origin not blocking YouTube ads, but then I don't watch YouTube all that often.

I've also never emulated Android on my PC before. I've heard of Blue Stacks which does that, but when I last looked into it it seemed too much work to be worth it.

Reactions: Brian Boru
my reading is Brian uses a browser on phone to watch Youtube... hence question about android.

I use the app myself.

It would be odd to run bluestacks on a windows PC when you can just use Firefox and not see ads in YT... but then I pay for premium as I didn't want to fight them. Also run Ublock and Bitdefender browser guard.
I dislilke the in video ads that people are making now. At least I can skip those.

it seemed too much work to be worth it

Ok, thanks for that, I'm not much into work these days :)

Brian uses a browser on phone to watch Youtube

Nope, never watch YT on phone—sometimes I want to see what's on screen. YT has been experimenting for a while, I get a few hours of 'Blocking ads not allowed' which then goes away after a while. I assume they'll settle on some longer-term approach soon.

you can just use Firefox and not see ads in YT

I just did and got thru half a dozen videos without hassle. Tried same on Vivaldi and one was still blocked.

No worries, there was life before YT—oh yes there was!—and there'll be life after it if they get too obnoxious.

Reactions: Pifanjr
My life before Youtube was TV and I won't ever use that again unless I have a triple lobotomy first. The advertising on Youtube isn't as obnoxious as TV, at least I don't get a batch of commercials every 10 minutes that seem to last longer than the shows around them. I do pay for premium just to avoid seeing ads on my phone... but then I set Firefox as my default browser on phone so lots of things don't load now.

I only use chrome for two things now:
  1. Gmail
  2. My bank - and this is only out of habit

I stopped watching Youtube from it years ago, for some reason I don't see any comments under videos. Even with all my add ons turned off. So I just swapped to Firefox and apart from some weirdness on YouTube, it mostly works... unlike Chrome, its not fighting against ad blockers, not enforcing Manifest v3 which is what Chrome is doing now

Microsoft's weather app is advertising an alternate Antivirus program that isn't from Microsoft.

Open weather app
Notice a warning in bottom left
click and get taken to site selling AV

6cifDsX.jpeg

temp isn't showing wind chill factor, its actually -5c
I don't see many ads so I wasn't prepared for it

Last edited:
Good thing Steam doesn't use Crowdstrike or people wouldn't be amused at all this weekend. As it stands, its just Blizzard AFAIK so only some people suffered from not being able to play games.

I was lucky and did my shopping yesterday before everything stopped working. I wonder how long it take for some places to recover.

Caused so many Windows PC to BSOD and only fix offered is to boot into Safe mode and remove update... if its a win 11 machine, that isn't straight forward. Unless its already set up to let you do that you need to boot off USB and change those settings manually via BCDEDIT and then restart PC and boot into safe mode.

Added barrier to many PC is they have Bitlocker and you need to know your key to open up the file system. SO how many businesses are going to fail that step?

Its the ultimate test of backup processes.

Its also extremely stupid to have so many businesses all using the same software. Internet meant to be multi point, they breaking it by tying it so tightly together. Need to diversify to avoid this in the future.

Idiots.

so many businesses all using the same software

MS says 8m PC affected. 8m out of 1bn isn't a lot, less than 1%.
Problem is a lot of big infra PCs were hit, so impact a lot bigger than 1%.

The idiot moniker rests mainly with Crowdstrike. It's extremely amateurish to push an update out to everyone all at once, without first putting it thru a pilot run.

I agree customers with ops-critical PCs should have delayed install in place, so they get a bit of idiot too. Plus a disk image or clone of the critical PCs system disk, ready to slot in for the cost of 15-30 minutes downtime.

Nice to think a lot of people will learn a lot from this :rolleyes:

Jay makes video about software everyone should use.
The very first comment under it addresses the Elephant in the room. Why not just use HWINFO. He had a ton of requested improvements to the software he made video about -- they already covered by HWINFO. Its also free like the one he suggested and is way better than HWMonitor in CPU -Z

Windows 11 legacy Taskbars and Start Menus

Info from excellent video by Memory's Tech Tips

RetroBar

This will be nailed on for me whenever I move to Win 11, for the simple reason that one feature is to allow the Taskbar to dock to any side of the screen—I have mine on the left, and I dislike Win 11 only allowing bottom placement.

I might also like the Quick launch toolbar, altho I love Win 10-11's Jump Lists—both together should be even better.

Open-Shell

I rarely use the Start Menu on Windows 10, but I quite liked Win 7's implementation, so I'll definitely check this one out when the time comes.

NB do not use Classic Shell, it's out-of-date for Win 11.

Not sure if I mentioned this here before, but after making a disk image give this a spin if you want to look at what you have installed and do a clean-up. It finds all apps, not just crap.

O6fB2Uo.png

TechRadar review

ngFBFur.png

Glad I missed this when it happened, half my retirement money disappeared

I know its back now but Google set up a cloud service and accidentally had a one year use by date. Oops, its only 136 billion... who will notice? whats that? Australia? Is that the small country in Europe near Germany?