Upgrading to 3070: What should go with it?

Sep 9, 2020
Visit site
Hello! I had been looking at potentially upgrading to a 2070 or 2080 Super when those came out, but now that the 3070 has been announced, I'm planning on just going ahead and buying that to sort of future-proof and be up to date. I last did a major upgrade in 2016 to the 1070, so I feel like it's high time for another one.

So, obviously, I'll be buying the 3070 in October. Beyond that, I'm planning on updating my motherboard and CPU (and switching back over to Intel from AMD), so I'll need new RAM even though I already have 16GB since my old RAM is 240 pin and I need 288, and I'll need a new power supply for all of that. I've included everything I'm looking at buying below, including the stuff I already have (and leaving out random stuff like extra hard drives, optical drive, etc., that don't really affect anything). Any thoughts on anything I should be doing differently or anything else I should get? Specifically wondering about the CPU (for example, it looks like the i7-9700k is just as good if not better in some ways than the i5-10600k; is there a reason not to just get that even though its 9th gen?). Also, if someone could suggest a good but decently priced CPU cooler, that would be helpful too.

Approximate Purchase Date: GPU in October, other stuff between now and then

Budget Range: Upper mid-range. I don't want to go all-out, but I'm OK spending some money to get everything updated that needs it.

What will your machine be used for? Gaming mainly, also movies/TV. Surfing the internet, doing some video chatting stuff with friends, the usual.

Are you buying a monitor: No. I'll be updating in the future (few months, maybe?), but I'm fine with my current ultrawide one at the moment.

Parts to Upgrade: GPU, CPU, MOBO, RAM, CPU cooler

Do you need to buy OS: No. I have Windows 10 Pro, so should be able to use that still (but if anyone wants to point me in the right direction to find out how to transfer that over, I wouldn't mind).

Preferred Website(s) for Parts?
Lowest price, so probably Amazon or Newegg.

Parts Preferences:
Planning on going with Intel CPU

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: 2560x1080

Additional Comments: I prefer stuff without RGB/flashy lights/etc. when possible. I play a mix of games, from RPGs to adventure to strategy, but the stuff that will be taking advantage of the upgrade would be shooters like Overwatch, No Man's Sky, Cyberpunk 2077 when it releases, etc. Just want to be able to run everything coming out in the next year or two at, if not the highest settings, close to it.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: It's just time. My current PC plays most everything at the lower end of high settings, but I'm wanting to pump that up (and get some ray tracing in) and future-proof.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-10600K 4.1 GHz 6-Core Processor ($289.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI MPG Z490 GAMING PLUS ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($57.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Video card: Nvidia RTX 3070 ($499)
Case: Supermicro S5 ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $0.00)
Power Supply: Antec Earthwatts Gold Pro 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($103.49 @ Amazon)
Monitor: LG 34UM69G-B 34.0" 2560x1080 75 Hz Monitor (Purchased For $0.00)
Total: $1120.46
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-09 16:40 EDT-0400

and switching back over to Intel from AMD),
Why?

Given that the RX 3070 won't be out until October anyway would it not make a lot of sense to wait for AMD's Zen 3 CPUs which are coming out by the end of the year?

And why by a 3070 for 1080p ultrawide. If there's one single thing you should upgrade it's the monitor.

Sep 9, 2020
Visit site
Why?

Given that the RX 3070 won't be out until October anyway would it not make a lot of sense to wait for AMD's Zen 3 CPUs which are coming out by the end of the year?

And why by a 3070 for 1080p ultrawide. If there's one single thing you should upgrade it's the monitor.

Because I want to? Because Intel generally has better performance for gaming than AMD? Because I think it will work best for my build? Does it matter? That's what I'm doing.

Most importantly, because if I wait until the end of the year, then there will be one more thing that will have been announced, and why not wait for that too? Then one more thing, and just wait again for that, and on and on, which is why I never end up updating my PC at all until it gets to this point where I have to update everything all at once.

And again, I already said I'm not updating my monitor. But fine, I'll bite. Why not? Because I don't want to spend almost $2,000, if not more, on upgrades for my PC right now when I already have a perfectly serviceable monitor that is good enough for my current needs. Because if I upgrade my monitor but not the GPU and the rest, then there's no point because my current system won't take advantage of it. Because I'd rather have ultrawide than 1440p if that's what I'm choosing between, and with monitor prices right now, it is. So it's really not the "single thing" I should upgrade. I'm not going to upgrade the most recent hardware before the old; you upgrade the weakest link first.

Zen 3 is a major launch that is coming hot on the heels of the RTX 3070. I get what you say about there being another launch always on the horizon, but this isn't an announcement, it's expected to be a launch, and a major one. Noting too that Intel's CPUs lack PCIe 4.0 at the moment, that Zen 3 is likely to significantly close the performance divide, and that it's only several weeks away from the 3070.

A 3070 is wasted on a low res, low refresh monitor. When you upgrade the GPU your monitor immediately becomes the weakest link. Also, 1440p ultrawide monitors start at around $400.

Does it matter? That's what I'm doing.
If the premise is garbage you're not going to get much helpful advice.

Moreover, if your attitude is "I'm doing this because I'm doing this" then you don't need advice. Just buy whatever as you're clearly just gonna do that anyway.

Sep 9, 2020
Visit site
A 3070 is wasted on a low res, low refresh monitor. When you upgrade the GPU your monitor immediately becomes the weakest link. Also, 1440p ultrawide monitors start at around $400.

If the premise is garbage you're not going to get much helpful advice.

Moreover, if your attitude is "I'm doing this because I'm doing this" then you don't need advice. Just buy whatever as you're clearly just gonna do that anyway.

The operative phrase in your first sentence there being "when you upgrade the GPU." Until I do, it's the strongest. And sure, I could get a low-budget 1440p ultrawide, but at those prices you're giving up a lot of quality. It would be sub-par and I'd still be wanting to upgrade fairly soon, so it would be pissing away $400 for no real reason.

My attitude is "I'm doing this because I'm doing this" with the things I've already decided on and stated in my original post. Instead of offering helpful advice about the things I was asking about, like the difference between the 9700k and 10600k or a good CPU cooler, you took two things I had said I had already decided on, getting an Intel CPU and not upgrading my monitor, and immediately started saying I should change those. And not only that, but did it in a supremely unhelpful way: just saying "Why would you do that?" instead of saying "Have you thought about doing this other thing instead? Here's why it might work better for you." So if that's your idea of "helpful advice," then no, I don't need it. You almost got there in your second post, explaining some of why it might be a good idea to look at Zen 3s, but you coupled that with calling my ideas garbage and my attitude bad. Nice try though! Almost had it!

Zoid

Community Contributor
We're all in this forum to have respectful, constructive discussions about PC hardware, which is easier when we aren't being combative ;)

@Oahkery the critiques you've received on this build so far are fair and for the most part I would echo them. However, to answer the specific questions you brought up:

The i5-10600K and i7-9700K are pretty similar in performance across the board, especially in gaming. If it was me choosing between these two processors and only these two, I would make that decision primarily on price. Where gaming is concerned I think its effectively a wash.

As for CPU cooler, I think I'd go with a chunky air cooler. I couldn't find a ton of information on your particular case, but it looks like the CPU heatsink clearance will rule out some of the more gigantic options. Something like the Scythe Fuma 2 might be a good pick at a reasonable price.

If you decide you want to further discuss your other components then we can continue that thread as well.

Reactions: Oussebon
One thing to note between the 10600k and 9700k is that the 10600k comes on the Z490 platform. Which is almost certain to support the next gen of Intel CPUs expected next year. Which are expected to support PCIe 4.0. And the motherboards are expected to support PCIe 4.0 (some manufacturers have gone as far as confirming they do I think) - it's just Intel's CPUs that currently don't.

So, the 10600k has a platform with an upgrade path.

Technically.

However, buying a 10600k only to replace it within a year just to get PCIe 4.0 would - let's be diplomatic - not sound like the most efficient of plans to some people.

Not when AMD already support it and are launching Zen 3 on 8th October. With the RTX 3070 launching on a still unspecified October date.

To be clear, I'm not saying to anyone "buy Zen 3" but rather wait and see what performance it has to offer, especially given the timings of various releases in the coming weeks. And, indeed, wait and see what Nvidia's new GPUs have to offer. Perhaps PCIe 4.0 makes a difference to raw performance already (or gives a taste of future performance differences for a GPU upgrade down the line). Or perhaps deeper analysis of the cards will indicate that new features like RTX IO will benefit from PCIe 4.0. Nvidia certainly highlight PCIe Gen 4 SSDs in tandem with RTX IO.

While that wasn't the question, it does seem like relevant info to flag up to anyone preparing to drop a grand or more on their PC.

Reactions: Zoid
Traditionally AMD CPU and Motherboards have been cheaper than intel. It might not be quite as much with Zen 3 but it's worth looking at.

As others have said you are getting PCIe 4 support and at least one M.2 slot which gives you a good upgrade path in the future.

I would replace the guts of the PC and then upgrade the monitor and GPU at the same time. In the UK you can't even preorder the 3070 or 3080 yet and they are likely to be both in short supply* and high demand.

* short supply because the yield on the new Samsung 8nm process is unknown to the general public. It's a new process and typically yields are not good for large size dies.

I think speculating on 8nm yields isn't something we can do without more info. I've seen some people discussing the yields as being decent, but without sources.

Also Nvidia may have less competition for Samsung 8nm than there would be for TSMC 7nm.

And then there's the chatter about another mining boom eating all the GPUs.

Mining or not, demand's likely to be high, but I don't think we can easily comment as to supply.

Sep 9, 2020
Visit site
We're all in this forum to have respectful, constructive discussions about PC hardware, which is easier when we aren't being combative

@Oahkery the critiques you've received on this build so far are fair and for the most part I would echo them.

I'm completely open to having a constructive discussion and listen to critiques and advice, even about things I've already decided on. I'm not open to starting a thread asking for advice and just getting someone basically asking "Why would you do such a stupid thing?" (obviously not what was literally said, but how it came across) with no reasoning or explanation behind it. A "critique" is an analysis of something, not just saying "you're wrong."

Thanks for your thoughts on the other stuff. I'm happy to hear any discussion about my other components. I'll look at that cooler you mentioned. I went ahead and bought the new power supply and RAM yesterday, since those shouldn't change no matter what else I end up going with. I bumped the RAM up to the 3600 rather than the 3200. Here's a new list of all my current components, including all the extra stuff like the drives.

PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 3 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Supermicro S5 ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $0.00)
Power Supply: Antec Earthwatts Gold Pro 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $0.00)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit (Purchased For $0.00)
Case Fan: Cooler Master R4-S2S-124K-GP 44.73 CFM 120 mm Fans 4-Pack (Purchased For $0.00)
Monitor: LG 34UM69G-B 34.0" 2560x1080 75 Hz Monitor (Purchased For $0.00)
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RAPIDFIRE Wired Gaming Keyboard (Purchased For $0.00)
Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Elite Wired Optical Mouse (Purchased For $0.00)
External Storage: Seagate Backup Plus 5 TB External Hard Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Total: $0.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-10 11:58 EDT-0400

One thing to note between the 10600k and 9700k is ...

Thanks for taking the time to go into the reasoning. That makes sense and is something to think about. I looked into Zen 3, and while it looks like they're launching something on Oct. 8, they haven't said whether it will be all the consumer CPUs. It looks like they're saying the full line will be out by the end of 2021, so there's no guarantee they'll even launch what I need then. But I suppose it's worth a wait-and-see approach. I had wanted to spread the purchases out over the next couple of months, but it shouldn't matter too much to just get them all in October.

I would replace the guts of the PC and then upgrade the monitor and GPU at the same time. In the UK you can't even preorder the 3070 or 3080 yet and they are likely to be both in short supply* and high demand.

* short supply because the yield on the new Samsung 8nm process is unknown to the general public. It's a new process and typically yields are not good for large size dies.

Yeah, I thought about doing something like that, but the video card is the driver of the change in the first place. I'm on the notification list for the 3070, so hopefully I can jump in and preorder as soon as they open. If I miss out on that, I'll have to rethink it all, of course, but until then I'll operate on the assumption I'll be able to grab one.

They have said it will be the consumer CPUs, thankfully.

Lisa Su noting it's for the gamer audience:
View: https://twitter.com/LisaSu/status/1303725578160349185

She even tags AMDRyzen. Which granted covers Threadripper, but you don't sell 64 core threadrippers to gamers.

So Ryzen 7 and 9 parts and probably Ryzen 5 too since they've announced Ryzen 5 at the initial reveal with Zen, Zen+, and Zen 2 iirc. Obviously there's no guarantee of what's being announced because it's not been announced yet. But it's Zen 3 consumer desktop CPUs and everyone knows it :)

People had been flailing around earlier this year saying that it might only be Milan (Epyc) we see this year, and not Vermeer (the consumer desktop stuff), but it's clearly Vermeer now. And AMD confirmed Zen 3 consumer ("client") CPUs were for 2020 earlier this year already. There's no (reasonable) doubt left anywhere.

There's the question of precise release dates of course, and also of availability. But the availability question mark goes at least as much for the RTX GPUs too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zoid

TRENDING THREADS