Random Hardware topics

Page 13 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
Gamers can rejoice. No E-cores ^^

nvlbTypw4UhhVv3Z.jpg

I thought @ZedClampet had a question around somewhere about needing an NPU, but I can't find it.

From what I understand of this video, its likely we already have a processor in our desktop that is way better at the job than an NPU - Our GPU

NPU more useful for low power devices like phones and laptops, not Desktop PC that can have more of everything

Its why there are no desktop CPU with NPU now. Microsoft could in theory allow co pilot to run on GPU.

I thought @ZedClampet had a question around somewhere about needing an NPU, but I can't find it.
Don't remember this, but I may have asked if it was going to be in non-gaming PC's. I already run all sorts of AI on my laptops using my GPUs. I'm assuming they want AI in every computer and it might be cheaper using an integrated solution than putting GPUs in all computers.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Wireless USB Mouse interference

Hah, ran into a USB interference thing just now. My external backup drive wouldn't show in my file manager when I plugged it into usual USB port, so popped it into another where it worked and I started the backup.

Almost immediately Logi mouse started skittering—I'd put the drive in right beside the Logi dongle. Paused the backup, but didn't help. Changed both to be as far away from each other as possible on the USB panel on top of my case…
ABCDE
…where A is drive and E mouse, and all is well.

Tips
♣ Keep wireless mouse dongle in the nearest USB port to the mouse—distance matters.
♦ Keep drive USB connectors as far from other USB items as possible—when transferring data, drives use a lot of power and may overwhelm the entire USB panel's power capacity… but nearest ports are extra vulnerable to disruption.
♥ If case front or top USBs are glitching, connect heavy power-draw items like drives to the back of the PC case—USB ports there are usually 'stronger'.

Reactions: Why_Me
They probably using the same controller. That can also cause communication issues. All connections on the front of case run off a connection on mb whereas the ones on back are hardwired.

USB devices can also mess with GPU as well as they all run by the same chip on motherboard. If one is playing up it can cause other items in PC to seem to be problem. I have had it myself, a mouse I owned was causing GPU drivers to fail.

The logitech dongle for my mouse is attached to the charging cable and sits underneath my display so I can easily unplug from wire and plug mouse in the charge it. The only dongle I have problems stay in touch with is for my keyboard. Hence I just use bluetooth on keyboard. The cable is attached to back of motherboard since that is closest to me. The way my pc is set up, the front is further away from me than rear of case.

its pretty rare. I haven't seen anyone else with it, but its always at back of my mind. One day it might happen.

I have also had my speakers cause GPU drivers to not load at startup. That was fun to fix as I had just got a new GPU and wasn't sure if it was cause or not. I only worked that out as I reinstalled windows, everything was fine until I attached speakers and it started again... I was not amused, they were good speakers. They had always worked before, but were probably due for retirement.

It seems as soon as you replace something in pc, something else breaks. Could be down to a change is power draw. I am not touching my PC this year.

"new" speakers are almost as old as they were now. Time flies. I don't plan on buying any more next time, I have other ideas :)

It depends how much it costs, and if it makes sense. I mean, you don't have to pay for updates now.

Faber's focus seems to be mostly on keeping its software up-to-date, since the mouse itself would be "fantastic-quality" and "well-designed," like a Rolex watch that you never have to upgrade.

So if its just software, its only useful once Logitech stop supporting the mouse/whatever. You can get drivers for free now. Are they signalling a change to that? putting drivers behind a paywall is one way to stop me buying their hardware again. Don't need companies starting that crap. I don't want everything to be tied to a subscription.

Pay for mouse once, get drivers free is model. When mice can last up to 8 or more years, its value for money. I don't want to pay yearly thanks.

I had a Logiech Keyboard before, it was supported by Logitech Gaming Software but once they swapped to using G Hub it stopped. Would a subscription mean the old drivers work forever? That will mean releasing driver versions for potentially out of date windows...

If it offered upgrades to the hardware, if such things occurred, I might be interested. Maybe

Last edited:

Something tells me that under her leadership it would be all subscription based. Its her new plan... she is new ceo so has to make her mark. Even if it is a stupid idea. I hope it fails as don't need the other brands doing it as well.

if it is just software updates, as video above states, most changes in mice in the last 5 years have been hardware. Can't update sensors or make them lighter, with software. If it was the hardware that could be upgraded via return or something paid in the subscription after a few years, it might make sense... to some.

Having a mouse that lasts forever is possibly great in corporate where the designs hardly change at all, but many gamers will have a few mice in a few years and don't want to be tied to one brand. Subscription plans would work for business . Businesses could buy the mice in bulk and get a multi licence subscription so they can forget about that hardware going forward...

But until Microsoft remove the default drivers, they are trying to sell something you don't even need to use. Many mice use the default drivers, so just don't buy Logitech at all... Does she want the company to fail?

I doubt many consumers will want it. There will be a small number.

Lets see what they do...

Last edited:
Lets see what they do

It would have to be substantially cheaper than cost of one-off purchase. MS have shown how to do it with 365, which is a big hit outside of enterprise circles—enterprise don't like the frequent flow of updates and additions.

The reason for the move to subs by all businesses is that future subscription revenue is a lot easier and safer to plan with than unknown discrete sales.

There would also have to be some hardware element—every mouse eventually dies of LCD—Left Click Death.

I'd pay $20/year for a forever MX Master.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
@COLGeek you said elsewhere: "Always best to have common plug on each end" for video connections.

So is it better to choose say DVI-to-DVI instead of DVI-to-HDMI?

I'd always ASSumed it would be better or same to attach to the newest spec connector, eg DVI-to-HDMI.
Any conversion is suboptimal. Think of the DVI/HDMI in terms of least common denominator. You can't make the old interface better than it actually is.

• Love
The reason for the move to subs by all businesses is that future subscription revenue is a lot easier and safer to plan with than unknown discrete sales.

Yes, subscriptions are great for ongoing payments, but you have to have something people can't get for free elsewhere. You need to offer a reason other than drivers that work forever... like hardware replacement. They should/could offer mouse replacement if you been paying a subscription for a given time, or they could have the cost of a replacement mouse as part of the payment amount.

Really, its dumb of a hardware company to try to make you sub to their software when that isn't what they known for. Why wasn't it obvious to them that replacement hardware would be a better thing to sub for...

Make better hardware people want to use and you won't need to charge users for software. Are you struggling Logitech? You used to be top dog... 20 years ago, now you not. Now kids want Razer mice that glow radioactively in their hands as they more rgb device than mouse now. They are what you were 20 years ago, able to ignore having bad software as everyone bought your hardware. I can't wait until they in your shoes.

So you spent a few years making your software okay, and now want to be paid for it?

wonders what they have to sell software Features wise.
RGB - Don't need that, ability to set colors is built into windows 11 now, and it already supports logitech devices. It may not be amazing but its the basics. There are free RGB Syncing software that also probably works with Logitech as well.
Driver - free in windows. Not worth paying for.
DPI speed adjustment -Yes, lets charge them for something that is in G Hub already...
Key assignments - Once again, a feature already in G Hub

As I said, only thing I use software for now is to see battery levels
2GJkZ9p.jpeg

I just swap to wired before I pay any money for that feature

They need to have something new that is worth subscribing too. Then there is the thought... do you have to always be online to use it? It could be dated based subscriptions, as otherwise how do they know if you have paid the fee.

There would also have to be some hardware element—every mouse eventually dies of LCD—Left Click Death.

I might have had that happen once ... I remember one mouse died while I played Roller Coaster Tycoon years ago, so perhaps. I remember it dying there as the game is mouse based and only ways out were alt F4 or ctrl alt del.

Apart from that one and my Steelseries Sensei mouse that I had to stop using as it was causing GPU drivers to crash, all my mice have been replaced for other reasons long before they died. The Steelseries mouse was about 8 years old when I retired it. Microsoft gaming mouse was about 4 years old or more. Only mouse I rejected within a year was a Razer mouse. I didn't like it at all.

I used to buy a new mouse every year, just to see what new features they had... this was 20 years ago when they were all business related. Gaming mice took a few years to exist and for me to notice them. I have had less mice in the last 14 years compared to before.

I have a logitech mouse now so will have to see what they do. I am not that attached to them that I can't just buy something else instead.
Lucky my logitech speakers don't have/need any software to work. Suddenly they notice I been using them for 10 years now and want my backdated subscription payments... nope.

hardware replacement

Yes, that would have to be built into a sub to make sense, say every 3 years or so.

I might have had that happen once ... I remember one mouse died

Huh, you must be gentle with them :) Every mouse of mine has died of LCD after 3-5 years. The old $10 MS mice from 90s-00s lasted as long as anything.

subscriptions are great for ongoing payments, but you have to have something people can't get for free elsewhere

Depends on the quality of the product, MS being a good example—all of 365's components are available for free, a PC OS same, and also server OS. But in general I agree, product has to be substantially better than free to survive charging.

Reactions: Colif
Depends on the quality of the product, MS being a good example—all of 365's components are available for free, a PC OS same, and also server OS.

The web versions of Microsoft office applications aren't as feature rich as the desktop one. I know as it installed them when I first got 365 and I have since removed them, as two icons showing Excel can be confusing to choose right one?

The thing I use the most of Office is the 1tb Onedrive space. That has been really handy in the last 10 years. Meant I only needed my user details to get all my files without needing to copy any of the old PC.

Free PC OS? 10/11 can be run without a licence but you have restrictions
Free server OS? Which one? I may have missed it?

There are alternatives to Office but it can depend on what you need to make, as to if they are useful to you. Office still dominates business so you are often asked to provide a word document.

Logitech has nothing like that to offer as a subscription, whereas with Microsoft it was an obvious choice to offer a subscription to it or even its Xbox game collection.

Maybe a subscription package for mouse/Keyboard/Webcam would be a better idea. Bundle hardware since that is what you make.

Huh, you must be gentle with them :) Every mouse of mine has died of LCD after 3-5 years. The old $10 MS mice from 90s-00s lasted as long as anything.

I normally replaced my mice before they died. I get bored and start thinking, what haven't I replaced recently. Right now, I don't feel need to replace any PC hardware, oldest part is the motherboard and well, if I replace it, I will replace more than just it. So no, not looking at a new mouse since its only 8 months old now. Next one won't be white though.

Since a mouse caused windows errors from being too old, I replaced my last one before it got too old too. It still works fine. working spares are good to have as insurance, even if only used until you get a new one.

Maybe you buy cheaper mice? Gaming mice are built for more clicks maybe? more sturdy parts? Long time since a button on a mouse was reason I got a new one... about 20 years or more since I played Roller Coaster Tycoon.

Last edited:
alternatives to Office

Oh sorry, bad phrasing by me—I meant free alternatives like Google Docs and Linux.

1tb Onedrive space … only needed my user details to get all my files without needing to copy any of the old PC

I deleted OneDrive because of the potential problems, plus it was a pain always wanting to sync. To get my files on a new PC, I just move the hard drive.

you are often asked to provide a word document

I expect every free alternative can at least read Word docs, and most can save in Word format—it's a lot easier since MS went XML. You may not get full compatibility with more complex documents tho.

Are Word docs no longer able to carry malware? There was a time when asking for Word doc was asking for trouble.

Bundle hardware

Yep, good idea, that could be a winner.

Maybe you buy cheaper mice?

Yes, if I recall correctly the dearest I've bought are the Mad Catz R.A.T. 7 and this MMO one. Otherwise around $60 is most I've spent on Logi's MX Masters. Apart from those couple of forays, I usually buy office mice rather than gaming—don't feel like paying for the bigger marketing budget :)